Hollywood has forgotten how to be orginal

The Drifter

WillKill4Food said:
Honestly, how? Did you think they used stop-motion skeletons? That they just had really good make-up artists for Davy Jones's crew? That they actually made a whirlpool? How did you not realize that? :confused: :rolleyes:

Maybe because I don't sit there and think <i>"Hmm, this MUST be CGI"</i> or <i>"This skeleton has to be made from the bowels of a computer!"</i>.

Like I said earlier.
I think that Raiders looks better than most of the stuff out now. So, I thought Raiders looked better than Pirates.
And, if they could do that stuff without CGI back then, why not now?

I apologize that I am not the end-all-know-all-CGI-expert.

WillKill4Food

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Maybe because I don't sit there and think <i>"Hmm, this MUST be CGI"</i> or <i>"This skeleton has to be made from the bowels of a computer!"</i>.

Like I said earlier.
I think that Raiders looks better than most of the stuff out now. So, I thought Raiders looked better than Pirates.
And, if they could do that stuff without CGI back then, why not now?

I apologize that I am not the end-all-know-all-CGI-expert.
Neither did I, but for Christ's sakes, how?
It just dumbfounds me that people thought that.
For the record, did you think they used a Yoda puppet in the newer Star Wars?

The Drifter

WillKill4Food said:
Neither did I, but for Christ's sakes, how?
It just dumbfounds me that people thought that.
For the record, did you think they used a Yoda puppet in the newer Star Wars?

Don't care much for Star Wars, even though I did watch all six.
And, for the record; I knew the newer version of Yoda was CGI.

Like I said, I never really delved much into what was CGI, and what wasn't from the Pirate movies.
I liked what I saw, it was real enough. I guess that's about all there is to it.

adventure_al

Lord_glavin said:
all the buildings, seiege weapons, armour, cities etc were models in Lord of the Rings

the top part of Edoras was built life size

Actually I was in New Zealand just after the filming (think the 1st film) and the props were still there. It really was as simple as massive cardboard cut outs sometimes. Really well done though.

The Drifter

adventure_al said:
Actually I was in New Zealand just after the filming (think the 1st film) and the props were still there. It really was as simple as massive cardboard cut outs sometimes. Really well done though.

Yes, I watched the behind the scenes footage from the movies and was blown away at the minitures.

Lord_glavin

yeha I was lucky enough to go on an 'inside tour' into the weta studios which i'm not supposed to talk about but the amount of actual models was astounding

The Drifter

Lord_glavin said:
yeha I was lucky enough to go on an 'inside tour' into the weta studios which i'm not supposed to talk about but the amount of actual models was astounding

Is that sarcasm I sense?! :gun:

Lord_glavin

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Is that sarcasm I sense?! :gun:

...I don't think so? lol
there were actually A LOT of sculptures and models all over the place, it was like i died and went to movie heaven

anyways back on topic

I think one of the main reasons, other than money, for the lack of original work in mainstream cinema today is it is almost near impossible to create an all new franchise without an already proven and established fanbase
Many large franchises of today were created like 20-40 years ago and still survive today seeing as a lot of today's youth I can see find it hard to stick to a franchise they like as so much media is thrown at them constantly. How when Star Wars came out, if you were a kid, there was nothing you could compare it to, Star Wars was it, the best thing ever whereas today a video game like halo gets released and 6 months down the road something else gets released completley distracting the kid from the first. I think this is why it would be difficult to introduce new franchises into the mainstream through movies.

The Drifter

Lord_glavin said:
...I don't think so? lol
there were actually A LOT of sculptures and models all over the place, it was like i died and went to movie heaven

anyways back on topic

I think one of the main reasons, other than money, for the lack of original work in mainstream cinema today is it is almost near impossible to create an all new franchise without an already proven and established fanbase
Many large franchises of today were created like 20-40 years ago and still survive today seeing as a lot of today's youth I can see find it hard to stick to a franchise they like as so much media is thrown at them constantly. How when Star Wars came out, if you were a kid, there was nothing you could compare it to, Star Wars was it, the best thing ever whereas today a video game like halo gets released and 6 months down the road something else gets released completley distracting the kid from the first. I think this is why it would be difficult to introduce new franchises into the mainstream through movies.

Then, I apologize for saying you were being sarcastic.
And, that was a brillant post about the state of the movie industry. If I could rate it; it would be a 10/10!

jonesissparrow

I am in the minority but I love both Pirates and Indy films even the sequels. I had one complaint about the CGI in Pirates and that was the Kraken I felt they put enough realism in Davy Jones' crew they kind of was a little slack on the Kraken. Sometimes watching Pirates 2 and 3 I kind of forgot the crew of Davy Jones WAS CGI. As far as Lord of the Rings I felt it was one of the rare big budget modern films to use all of its resources and not just solely rely on CGI as they used real armour, makeup, prostetics, real sets, costumes, and lots and lots of great models especially for Minas Tirith (my favorite!!(y) ) and CGi. That kind of filmmaking is almost invisible now. I know today Hollywood did something right as I watched Iron Man in the theatres I thought now this is what a big budget film is suppose to be like that other films have failed: A crowd pleaser!

Adamwankenobi

I don't think Hollywood's problem is that it lacks originality; a lot of films throughout Hollywood's history have been based on earlier works. The problem is that nowadays, Hollywood sucks at adapatations.

Look at Stanley Kubrick's films. Each was based on a novel, and yet he churned out like five classics in a row. :p Of course, he was a British filmmaker, but my point is that there needs to be less studio interferance, and more auteurs like Kubrick. (y)

The problem with Hollywood even as far back as the fifties is their insistence on the safe route of the sequel. Successes like Creature From The Black Lagoon spawned a couple of sequels. Even abominations such as The Amazing Colossal Man spawned a sequel. Consider the Police Academy movies.
Actually, don't.

It's all about the financial aspect over the quality factor.

Thank goodness they didn't make any Raiders sequels.

I Hate Snakes!

I'm pretty sick of sports movies now. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. It's always the underdog rising up and beating the top dog in the end. Gimme something new!

Adamwankenobi said:
I don't think Hollywood's problem is that it lacks originality; a lot of films throughout Hollywood's history have been based on earlier works. The problem is that nowadays, Hollywood sucks at adapatations.

Look at Stanley Kubrick's films. Each was based on a novel, and yet he churned out like five classics in a row. :p Of course, he was a British filmmaker, but my point is that there needs to be less studio interferance, and more auteurs like Kubrick. (y)

Check your facts, bro. Kubrick's as American as they come. New York born and raised.

The Drifter

Kubrick made one of my favorite movies (beisides the Indy triology), and that if "Full Metal Jacket".
That is another movie that I never grow tired of even tho, I have watched it hundreds of times.

Also, yes; I understand the feeling of being sick of sports movies also.
Only sport movies I like are Rocky, and Field of Dreams.

Another thing that I am sick of is seeing full CGI cartoons.
I don't even consider them cartoons. I miss the days of beautiful tradional animation.

Adamwankenobi

ResidentAlien said:
Check your facts, bro. Kubrick's as American as they come. New York born and raised.

Bah! I forgot about that! I kept thinking of the fact that he lived in England up until his death. ;)

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Kubrick made one of my favorite movies (beisides the Indy triology), and that if "Full Metal Jacket".
That is another movie that I never grow tired of even tho, I have watched it hundreds of times.

I loved the opening sequence in the barbour shop, and the whole training sequence. But when they finally get to Vietnam, the film seems to lose a bit of its steam. IMO, the only thing that saves the second half is Adam Baldwin. He's cool. (y)

I'd have to say my favorite Kubrick film is A Clockwork Orange. I love the characters! The music! The satire!

Also, Dr. Strangelove has me LMAO, 2001 blows my mind and wows my senses, and The Shining gives me one of the most uneasy feelings ever! :eek: :cool:

I also love Kubrick's cinematography style. It has such a cold, perverse, precise feel. :whip:

Last edited:

The Drifter

Adamwankenobi said:
Bah! I forgot about that! I kept thinking of the fact that he lived in England up until his death. ;)

I loved the opening sequence in the barbour shop, and the whole training sequence. But when they finally get to Vietnam, the film seems to lose a bit of its steam. IMO, the only thing that saves the second half is Adam Baldwin. He's cool. (y)

I'd have to say my favorite Kubrick film is A Clockwork Orange. I love the characters! The music! The satire!

Also, Dr. Strangelove has me LMAO, 2001 blows my mind and wows my senses, and The Shining gives me one of the most uneasy feelings ever! :eek: :cool:

I also love Kubrick's cinematography style. It has such a cold, perverse, precise feel. :whip:

Kubrick is one of my favorite directors. Along with Speilburg and Stone.