KotCS reviews in media

triklops

Ok, the hardcore-Indy-Fan known in the Raven as "Sankara" says that KOTCS is an absolute CATASTROPHE / DESASTER / DEBACLE:.....Pick your word.....
I know him from the German forums and mostly we had the same opinion on the Indy and Star Wars movies....
This is almost a "proof" for me that the film sucks :sick: :( :(

Of course I have to make my own opinion.....but this is really hard to swallow !!!!!!

sandiegojones

This was a good quote from Harrison regarding the critics review:

"I work for the people who pay to get in. They are my customers, and my focus is on providing the best experience I can for those people."

I like that.

You know a lot of people hate the PT from Star Wars, but as I think back to anticipation for The Phantom Menace I remember opening day. I lived in LA at the time and I went to a 10:00 am first showing. I saw a lot of bad reviews on TV in the morning on my way over to the theater (I didn't have internet then) and was worried. I arrived at 7:00 am and I took my niece who was 6 then and the line was already around the corner and 2 blocks down the street! It was filled with lots of kids and people wanting to share an experience and have a good time. This wasn't like Hollywood where the geeks waited 2 months and wore Jedi costumes everyday (those guys were begging for a let down doing that crap!).

We filed in the theater and had probably the best movie experience I've ever had. The whole way through people cheered and "oohhed" and "aahhed". The entire audience was positive and gave a standing ovation during the credits! This was a huge theater with 1000 viewers and I swear everyone was excited from beginning to end. I was unsure how I felt when I left. I mean, I enjoyed the experience but did I really like the film? Not too long after I realized that I had a great cinema experience, and although the film had it flaws, I enjoyed myself and was happy to know my niece really liked it too. I think my experience with all of the prequels has been positive so I have a better opinion of them than many. Every time I watch the PT I think of that experience so it never taints my opinion of them.

I have similar feelings of seeing with the Last Crusade with my Dad when I was 10.

I think Indy 4 will kind of be the same. People looking for more than a good time or who cannot enjoy being with so many others sharing an adventure may miss the point of these types of films. Lucas didn't go into SW or IJ with the intention of making film history. He just wanted to entertain people like they did in the golden era and he got lucky and it just kinda happened. Now 30 years later we expect everything him and Spielberg do to be on the AFI 100 best films list and thats not easy to do.

I think people need to have realistic expectation and see them for what they are and why they are made. They're made for fans and for fun, not to break records or end up on all time lists. Enjoy the ride and make up your own mind. :)

triklops said:
The best review IMO is the one by Garth Franklin !!!!!

He compares Indy to the prequels and to Die Hard 4 and says that it's by far not the disappointment these two brought us.!! That's what I was looking for.

That's exactly the sort of selective reading I was talking about.

There are many more reviews that say it's exactly the disappointment of those films. Yes, you were looking for confirmation to the contrary--and what good is it? How is it even confirmation? We won't know for another 3 days, I don't care how many reviews you look at, it's still just interpretation.

nezobiwan

sandiegojones said:
Lucas didn't go into SW or IJ with the intention of making film history. He just wanted to entertain people like they did in the golden era and he got lucky and it just kinda happened. Now 30 years later we expect everything him and Spielberg do to be on the AFI 100 best films list and thats not easy to do.

I think people need to have realistic expectation and see them for what they are and why they are made. They're made for fans and for fun, not to break records or end up on all time lists. Enjoy the ride and make up your own mind. :)
Huzzah! 100% agreement over here.

I really think that people sometimes forget that the SW movies are children's movies and that the Indy movies are based on material that was superficial fluff.

Lucas/Spielberg + others know why people watch these type of movies: to have a fun time. If people try to take them too seriously that's their own downfall.

triklops

ResidentAlien said:
That's exactly the sort of selective reading I was talking about.

There are many more reviews that say it's exactly the disappointment of those films. Yes, you were looking for confirmation to the contrary--and what good is it? How is it even confirmation? We won't know for another 3 days, I don't care how many reviews you look at, it's still just interpretation.

see above..my hopes have faded anyway..The Lucas Empire Strikes Back

blueseattle

At this point, there's nothing to really expect other than the movie. I have the toys, seen the ads, and read the stats on the reviews... and I'm just dying to all end in seeing this film.

northernsoul

I know critics are an important part of the process but it annoys me they have such a sway over how a film is perceived. Here we are, a few days away from a new Ford/Spielberg/Lucas film, after all these years of anticipation, and already people are disappointed. I think the pre-internet years was an easier age ;)

Euwhipides

Why is anyone disappointed here? Well, we know Resident Alien would be, but you have to get out those middle school frustrations somewhere, and this is obviously his place to vent. But I mean the rest of the real Indy fans. The reviews I'm reading are great. Sure, a little creaky in some places, but overall it's a critical success already.

Given the hype, we couldn't hope for more. So put on a happy face.

:whip:

lynchpin

sandiegojones said:
Look at whre these reviews come from....CHUD, Dark Horizons, Compuserve, etc. Who even reads those sites and how do they get to Cannes?

All of the major critics liked, even ones I expected to bash it.

And who goes to an Indiana Jones fansite to debate, question, and belittle the merit of online movie reviewers and their audiences...?

Euwhipides said:
Why is anyone disappointed here? Well, we know Resident Alien would be, but you have to get out those middle school frustrations somewhere, and this is obviously his place to vent. But I mean the rest of the real Indy fans. The reviews I'm reading are great. Sure, a little creaky in some places, but overall it's a critical success already.

Given the hype, we couldn't hope for more. So put on a happy face.

Another noob who hates me?

You creeps are coming out the woodwork. It's amusing, really. In a few weeks or months, you'll move on to different things. Come and go with the tide.

*sigh*

Well, *******, you don't know me or what I expect of this film. So take your middle school presumptions elsewhere.

Darth Vile

ResidentAlien said:
Yes, you were looking for confirmation to the contrary--and what good is it? How is it even confirmation? We won't know for another 3 days, I don't care how many reviews you look at, it's still just interpretation.

That's probably the post where I agree with you... The only person to put faith in is yourself. To be honest, I couldn't care less what a critic thinks... but I like to see a critique done in an intelligent and informed manner.

I think this is now an exercise in validation. It's clear that the majority of the mainstream reviews give it the thumbs up. Any self respecting Indiana Jones IV movie lover is going to use this to...
A) Use it to bash the haters , nothing wrong with that... Haters would do the same... ;)
B) Use the consensus to catch a sigh of relief (most of us have an emotional investment in the movie)...

Euwhipides

My apologies, RA.

But I have been lurking and listening to you whine and complain for weeks now. Yes, I may come and go with the tide, but at least I'm excited about the new movie. It's better to come and go with the tide, in my opinion, than to be a big, smelly carcass that's just rotting on the beach because it can't move on and dance in the sun-flecked ocean with the rest of us. That's what I plan to be doing on May 22.

You may not be a middle schooler, but ten bucks says you're a basher from the JCF. Not to mention living proof why parents shouldn't provide internet access for their thirty year old children who still live in the basement.

Cheers.

HFFan

I don't have time to read through the last pages that I've missed... but last I knew this thread was about critic reviews. And the overall consensus has been good! RT has it at 76% and that's very, very good! What are some of you upset about? We're you expecting 100% critical praise? I just don't get it.:mad:

Borbarad

No..I'm not so concerned about the rotten or fresh %, but moreso the rating of the movie. I don't like that the movie is less than 7/10.

blueseattle

I think any age without the internet is better. This thing takes away too much. It makes society lazy and it strips away the mysteries in life.