I imagine there'll be a bluray double dip someday don't you?

blueoakleyz

Assuming the bluray format survives for a few years it seems like all 4 films will have a double dip with maybe commentary?

jason10mm

I don't think Speilberg has done any commentaries, not sure if Ford has done any either. Seems like the BR is pretty feature loaded, so I expect any "double dip" to involve either trivial extras (like a 5th disc packed in with the quadrilogy set) or a minor tweak to the movie itself via re-encoding or perhaps the addition of some minor scene. Speilberg is actually pretty good at NOT double dipping, so hopefully he is in charge and not Lucas. Especially if they are busy with Indy5, they may not have time to fudge with Indy4. I'm more concerned about why we are not seeing the first three on BR, I guess they want to see Indy4 break a few million. I'm gonna do my part!

James

jason10mm said:
Speilberg is actually pretty good at NOT double dipping, so hopefully he is in charge and not Lucas. Especially if they are busy with Indy5, they may not have time to fudge with Indy4.

Yeah, assuming they make an Indy 5...the next 'double dip' may not happen until then. After all, it took five years for the original trilogy to be repackaged.

It wouldn't surprise me to see another complete collection, possibly including all the vintage material that's currently missing (ie. making-ofs; deleted scenes; etc.)

AtomicAge

Correct. Spielberg doesn't do commentaries. However I think you'll likely see this blu-ray as is, included in a boxed set with the other indy films on blu-ray.

Doug

Vendetta08

jason10mm said:
I don't think Speilberg has done any commentaries, not sure if Ford has done any either. Seems like the BR is pretty feature loaded, so I expect any "double dip" to involve either trivial extras (like a 5th disc packed in with the quadrilogy set) or a minor tweak to the movie itself via re-encoding or perhaps the addition of some minor scene. Speilberg is actually pretty good at NOT double dipping, so hopefully he is in charge and not Lucas. Especially if they are busy with Indy5, they may not have time to fudge with Indy4. I'm more concerned about why we are not seeing the first three on BR, I guess they want to see Indy4 break a few million. I'm gonna do my part!

10 years from now Lucas and Spielberg will re-release the 10th anniversary edition and in the ant scene the russian will shoot first.

Indy's Fist

Am I the only one who sees Blu-Ray as overratted? I'm in no big hurry to upgarde to BR for the simple factg that standard DVD looks just fine to me. Also I've notice that BR?HD has a way of messing with a films cinamatography to the point of making the film look like it was filmed on a video phone or camcorder.

AtomicAge

Indy's Fist said:
Am I the only one who sees Blu-Ray as overratted? I'm in no big hurry to upgarde to BR for the simple factg that standard DVD looks just fine to me. Also I've notice that BR?HD has a way of messing with a films cinamatography to the point of making the film look like it was filmed on a video phone or camcorder.

blu-ray, or HD has the ability for the first time at home to present a film in a way that actually closely matches the look of the theatrical presentation.

Although I still buy SD DVDs of films that aren't out on blu-ray yet, I'll never go back to SD if I have a choice.

Doug

I also think Blu-Ray is overratted. What's the point of watching a movie like Skull in HD when it's crap to begin with?

blueoakleyz

Indy's Fist said:

No I think HD is too.
The dfiference between it and DVD just isn't worth it. People should have just waited for a bigger jump

Vance

Major West said:
No offence, but people that can't see the difference are blind.

Blu Ray is better, to be sure, but it's not exactly a HUGE jump, like DVD was to VHS, after all. For me , while the video quality is better, what really stands out is the full sound. DVDs actually sound a smidge tinny now, particularly the background soundtracks.

Major West

Vance said:
Blu Ray is better, to be sure, but it's not exactly a HUGE jump, like DVD was to VHS, after all. For me , while the video quality is better, what really stands out is the full sound. DVDs actually sound a smidge tinny now, particularly the background soundtracks.

On a 40" or larger screen, trust me, it is a big jump.

I agree, the sound is also a lot better.

Darth Vile

blueoakleyz said:
No I think HD is too.
The dfiference between it and DVD just isn't worth it. People should have just waited for a bigger jump

What's a bigger jump than seeing it in pristine quality (both sound and vision), that is leaps and bounds ahead of the way it's presented in 90% of cinemas? Home cinema Smellovision??? Virtual reality???

Darth Vile

Vance said:

As Major West states... once you start getting into True HD Plasma's (50" and over), standard DVD's can't cut it. So whilst the difference may not look that obvious on a smaller television, it's staggeringly apparent when you get into the state of the art TV's.

Vance

Major West said:
On a 40" or larger screen, trust me, it is a big jump.

40" screens, though, are a double-tier luxury item. Most people, particularly once this recession really hits in, just aren't going to be buying them for comparison sakes...

But, even then, as I said, the difference may be noticable, but it's NOT the difference between DVD and VHS. For most people, it's not the quantum leap that's worth the investment, and likely never will be. It'll be more like "Damn, the DVD machine broke, let's get that new PS3 after all", in much the same way that DVD eventually took hold of the home video market, with VHS systems phased out.

AtomicAge

Vance said:
40" screens, though, are a double-tier luxury item. Most people, particularly once this recession really hits in, just aren't going to be buying them for comparison sakes...

But, even then, as I said, the difference may be noticable, but it's NOT the difference between DVD and VHS. For most people, it's not the quantum leap that's worth the investment, and likely never will be. It'll be more like "Damn, the DVD machine broke, let's get that new PS3 after all", in much the same way that DVD eventually took hold of the home video market, with VHS systems phased out.

You can get a 40 inch 1080p LCD on sale for under $1000 now.

In reality the difference between VHS and DVD is from 250 lines of resolution (VHS) to 480 (DVD). A little over double the resolution.

HD is 1920 x 1080, more than 5 times the resolution of standard def. As has been stated, with a screen under say 40 inches the difference isn't very pronounced, but get above that and it is night and day. Once you get into a projector and have a screen of 90 to 120 inches, DVD is almost unwatchable compared to HD.

Also HD has a wider color space, allowing it to display a far greater range of colors, preventing the banding effect you sometimes see on DVDs.

Doug

Indy's Fist

Well I'm happy with standard DVD for now. I wonder if my upconvert DVD player has anything to do with a better picture? Also I have a 42" 1080i LCD TV.