new feeling over KOTCS!!!

Benraianajones

sandiegojones said:
That's likely correct, but why didn't the ship leave a long time ago before the Spanish arrived. I don't think that the aliens live forever.

I'm not sure, but all I can guess is, the aliens were just paying one of their visits, and that is when the Spanish arrived.

emtiem

Benraianajones said:
I'd take Mutts swinging happily over where Indy is eaten by a giant snake.

I quite like the giant snake gag. It fits in with the whole early 20th Century pulp thing (Tarzan himself was always fighting giant critters; as well as discovering Atlantis, encountering a friendly army of apes; finding European knights and crusaders, finding Dinosaurs, voyaging to the interior of the hollow Earth etc. Sound familiar?)- plus it's a really good gag. Indy's beaten his fear of snakes before this, then he meets a giant one and after that even the tiniest one makes him scream the jungle down. Great stuff.

Benraianajones

emtiem said:
I quite like the giant snake gag. It fits in with the whole early 20th Century pulp thing

It wouldn't fit in with Indiana Jones, even if Indiana does chase after Atlantis and a few other things. It would have been embarassing and very awful. If Indy goes in that direction we may as well have breathing dragons.

Mutt swinging in to the mouth of a snake I'd also pass up.

TheMutt92

Just finished watching KOTCS for my third time (second time on DVD), and I must say, it really is getting better all the time! At this rate, I think it'll sit perfectly w/ the other installments fairly soon.

The first time around, I liked it, but didn't really know what to think. The second time, I was able to divide the quality of the film into three parts (Doomtown-Cemetary: great, Camp-Waterfalls: fun, Akator-Finale: okay). But this time around, the film seemed to really flow nicely, w/ the only two complaints of mine now being Mac's death and the Ugha.

IMHO, Mac's death could've been fixed by a simple line re-write. And the Ugha, I think all they needed was one more scene w/ them: whether if it was Spalko's squad actually killing them all or not.

I'm still giving it a solid 4/5, but it is now higher up on my list.

Oxley17

I've seen it three times now, the first two times in theater and once on dvd, and I plan on watching it again tomorrow. I definitely agree with the people saying it gets better and better on repeat viewings, it's now my second favorite of the series.

Indy's brother

IndyJess said:
Why would it get better with repeat viewings?

Well, it's too early to say for Skull, but I loathed TOD until a year or two after I bought the dvd box set. After I'd gotten as much mileage out of Raiders and Crusade as I could, I turned to Doom, and grew to love it. I can see that happening for many IJ fans with Skull.

Agent Z

Benraianajones said:
Oh I understand the spirit of it, but it comes across very un-Indiana Jonesy on screen. Like I say, it looks awful, and taints an otherwise good jungle scene, but, it doesn't ruin the movie.

I agree that, technically, it could have been done better. We could have had the swinging done in such a way that we would get the sense of height and speed akin to that of the speeder bike chase in Return of the Jedi.

As is, the sequence is already pushing the boundaries of goofdom..and, when it's also not executed in as thrilling a style as it could of been, it leaves much to be desired.

Still, like yourself, it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Indy's brother

Indy~Annie said:
awwwwwwww poor thing.:p i will not watch no more special features until you can party to.hehe

If I understand your use of a double negative, then you're really saying that you will watch more special features...nice try. I'm on to you...;)

kongisking

tastethecourage said:
I really think people should relax about KotCS. It's no inherently worse than ToD, but people around here treat it like the ugly fourth step-child just because it's something "different". Everything has to be the same as it was before, right down to the type of curvature to the rim of the fedora or else it's terrible and unacceptable.

Forgive me in advance for my embarrassingly bad forthcoming analogy : If you ate the same pepperoni pizza every single day for 19 years, I think it's you add some black olive & anchovies just to try it out. Maybe it makes you gag. But it doesn't make it a bad pizza. I'm sure others would love it.

I digress. My point is that it's unfortunate you didn't like the route Indy 4 took, but it doesn't make it a bad movie. It doesn't have a perfect screenplay (how many films these days do?). It does have unnecessary characters that sometimes become clutter and at times it is a bit too talky. But at least it tried to be different and unique in the Indy saga.

I love it. I didn't like it after my first theater viewing, but that's because it came out of left field. I wasn't sure what to think of it or how to perceive it. It has gotten better with every viewing since and I'm loving it more and more.

It's pure escapism. Fast paced, far-fetched escapism. It has some of the best cliff-hanger moments of the Indy movies. It's fun & offers a lot of nostalgia.

Bring on Indy 5. :whip:

You, my intelligent pal, have hit the nail right on the head. My respects. :hat:

sandiegojones

I think most people who are still around here are positive towards the film or at least have constructive discussions.

Sankara on the other hand feels the need to post the same paragraph in each thread every day. 50 of us post positive comments and Sankara posts his junk and seems to think that he alone represents the majority.

I think it's clear that Indy fans do like KOTCS.

Benraianajones

I've not watched all of it, but got a DVD from a friend til mine arrives and I think it does fit nicely with the others - with only the Mutt tarzan swing scene making me grimace.

The alien/UFO, don't mind them at all. Would have been better if more subtle, but not a deal breaker for me. Wish Spalko's death was a little bit longer.

The spiral stair scene according to the counter lasts literally about 12 seconds..wow that is short?! I wish it lasted a little bit longer.

The waterfall drops - don't mind them, they are in the Indy spirit, and whislt I do wish they had shorted these drops in favour of some character development/Marion helping Indy from the rapids, I do like these scenes now. Also, noticed Indy at least shows some worry before the last drop, he takes his hat off and holds it to his chest.

The scene where the tree bounces back up to the cliff doesn't bother me, I've always kind of liked it. Tt looks kind of cartoony/matte painting - in the same way the jeep flying off the cliff in Raiders does.

So, the only offending scene really is the swinging. Happy with the 4th movie really.

Sankara

@sandiego
I think it's clear that Indy Fans think "Skull" is the worst of the Indy-Movies.

"Last Crusade" was (it's still) the end. I don't think that many people on this planet think that "Skull" is better than "Crusade". What do you think, sandiego?