Concerts, Rock and Otherwise...Other than John Williams

sarah navarro

John Williams @ Hollywood Bowl in Sept. i think it is.

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture w/fireworks @ Hollywood bowl in Aug. i think.

All with the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

wow i need to check my calendar:)

Indy Pendant have fun! I would love to see the Boston Pops!

Indy Pendant

sarah navarro said:
John Williams @ Hollywood Bowl in Sept. i think it is.

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture w/fireworks @ Hollywood bowl in Aug. i think.

All with the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

wow i need to check my calendar:)

Indy Pendant have fun! I would love to see the Boston Pops!

Thanks! It was great! I'm jealous that you're guaranteed to see John Williams - I'm not allowed to get tickets for his show over here yet!

AlivePoet

ResidentAlien said:
HA! Let that jealousy tear you apart. :whip:

:p

I'm glad for you pal, but my jealousy knows no bounds on this one... hopefully he extends his tour to Asia next year. Or who knows, I might hit up Europe again, just for him.

AlivePoet said:
:p

I'm glad for you pal, but my jealousy knows no bounds on this one... hopefully he extends his tour to Asia next year. Or who knows, I might hit up Europe again, just for him.

I'm seeing him at Verizon Center in Washington DC-- my seats will be somewhere in Sections 2-9.

You'll be ESPECIALLY jealous when you look up the seating chart.

AND-- I just two seconds ago met a pretty Asian girl in the hallway wearing an Animals shirt. Or more specifically, as she corrected me, a Several Species shirt-- they're this great local cover band.

...turns out her boyfriend's brother is their drummer.

updown.gif

Lol. But at least she too was envious of my tickets. ;)

Stoo

Simon & Garfunkel

I know Rocket meant this to be primarily a John Williams/Indy music thread but since Res has taken it off-topic, let me just add:

The April & May dates of Simon & Garfunkel's current tour have been postponed due to a vocal strain on Artie's part. The May 19th concert in Montreal has been rescheduled for July 22...which means I just might have the chance to see it! Stoked!(y)
ResidentAlien said:
I just spent $551 on Roger Waters presale tickets. I'm a madman, I swear it!:D
$551 for how many tickets?

Stoo said:
I know Rocket meant this to be primarily a John Williams/Indy music thread but since Res has taken it off-topic, let me just add:

The April & May dates of Simon & Garfunkel's current tour have been postponed due to a vocal strain on Artie's part. The May 19th concert in Montreal has been rescheduled for July 22...which means I just might have the chance to see it! Stoked!(y)
$551 for how many tickets?

It IS in the open discussion forum. So... not really off-topic. ;)

$551 for a pair.

Dr. Gonzo

I actually have a respectable list of greats that can be crossed off my list...
I've seen:

The Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
The Doors (of course minus Jim Morrison, they had Ian Astbury as his fill in)
And John Fogerty (of Creedence Clearwater Revival fame)

I feel quite lucky to have seen those guys especially now that a lot of them are quite older.

I've been meaning to see one of the Pink Floyd crew play
and by that I mean either Rogers or Gilmour...
wish they could just get along and get back together.
By the way if you were at the Live Aid Pink Floyd reunion you are my new personal hero.

So in closing maybe I'll get to see one of those Floyd fellas soon, but until then props to Resident Alien for scoring big time. Cheers!

DaFedora

10th World Soundtrack Academy concert - 23 October 2010 in Ghent

For those people living near Belgium, it might be an idea to go to the International World Soundtrack Awards event in Ghent.

Composers present are: John Barry, Gustavo Santalloala, Joel Goldenthal, Gabriel Yared, Angelo Badalamenti and many more.
The World Soundtrack Awards 10th anniversary gala will include a six minute suite from each composer performed by the Brussels Philharmonic ? the Orchestra of Flanders, conducted by Dirk Brossé, and accompanied by a selection of illustrative film excerpts.

Five time Oscar winner, John Barry, will join the list of festival composers in a one-off concert of his music which he will attend. The Brussels Philharmonic - the Orchestra of Flanders, conducted by Nicholas Dodd, will perform suites from his wide ranging body of work and that same evening he will be presented with the festival?s Lifetime Achievement Award.

Please read all about it on the official website:
http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/news2.cgi?go=detail&id=1077&lang=en

Heavy-Sixer

Devo & Cake

Not quite Indy related but I'm pretty psyched about seeing two great bands this summer --

DEVO on 7/09 in Pittsburgh

CAKE on 7/13 in Greensburg, PA

Dr. Gonzo said:
I actually have a respectable list of greats that can be crossed off my list...
I've seen:

The Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
The Doors (of course minus Jim Morrison, they had Ian Astbury as his fill in)
And John Fogerty (of Creedence Clearwater Revival fame)

I feel quite lucky to have seen those guys especially now that a lot of them are quite older.

That's a pretty cool list. I would have loved to have seen the Doors even with Ian Astbury because I'm quite The Cult fan. I've been lucky enough to see a few big names: Bob Dylan, The Police, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Seeing The Rolling Stones would be great. Seeing a Led Zeppelin reunion with all of the surviving members would be the best.

Weird Al tickets for the 18th-- was going to take my stripper, but she and I had a falling out (never trust a stripper), so now I'm stuck with an extra ticket and I can't find any takers, dammit.

Arcade Fire August 2nd. Going with the little sister-- should be fun.

Ska

Heavy-Sixer said:
Not quite Indy related but I'm pretty psyched about seeing two great bands this summer --

DEVO on 7/09 in Pittsburgh

CAKE on 7/13 in Greensburg, PA

That's a pretty cool list. I would have loved to have seen the Doors even with Ian Astbury because I'm quite The Cult fan. I've been lucky enough to see a few big names: Bob Dylan, The Police, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Seeing The Rolling Stones would be great. Seeing a Led Zeppelin reunion with all of the surviving members would be the best.

Woah! You're from Greensburg? I'm in Connellsville.

And CAKE is coming to Greensburg? Where at? I just might have to see them. Great band.

I'm seeing 311 in Pittsburgh on June 22nd.

Heavy-Sixer

Ska said:
Woah! You're from Greensburg? I'm in Connellsville.

And CAKE is coming to Greensburg? Where at? I just might have to see them. Great band.

I'm seeing 311 in Pittsburgh on June 22nd.

Connellsville! Small world!

CAKE is coming to http://www.thepalacetheatre.org/ on Tuesday, July 13. It's a small venue but that's all the better. There isn't a bad seat in the place. I lucked out and actually got front row tickets.

Ska

Heavy-Sixer said:
Connellsville! Small world!

CAKE is coming to http://www.thepalacetheatre.org/ on Tuesday, July 13. It's a small venue but that's all the better. There isn't a bad seat in the place. I lucked out and actually got front row tickets.

Hmmmm....I need to talk to my friend that likes them also.

That's near the courthouse, right?

Heavy-Sixer

Going to see any great bands this summer?

Have any great concerts lined up for the summer? I thought it would be cool to have a place where people could list what concerts they were planning on attending and then maybe follow up with some mini reviews of the shows or just discuss the music in general.

So far I have two shows lined up:

DEVO -- Pittsburgh, PA Friday, July 9, 2010

CAKE -- Greensburg, PA Tuesday, July 13, 2010

These should be some great shows. DEVO is just classic and this show will follow close on the heels of their first new album in 20 years, "Something For Everyone." And CAKE, who doesn't like CAKE? Anyway, I got really good seats for both shows. I'm about 6 rows back from the stage for DEVO and I'm front row for CAKE.