The Beard

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
Here, here!

Yeah, and I think it makes him more realistic too. I mean it'd get kind of boring to see Indy looking exactly the same, with the same exact outfit--no variation or change-from adventure to adventure and year to year. So a little more stubble here, a necktie there, a sweater here (as in Mystery of the Blues) kind of changes it up and refreshes his his style a little with every film/adventure.

Cole

I'm pretty sure he's always had the same basic "adventure" attire.....the hat has always pretty much been the same, pretty sure he had some stubble in 'Last Crusade,' pretty sure he had a satchel in every film......I don't think a torn sleeve changes much.

Cole said:
I'm pretty sure he's always had the same basic "adventure" attire.....the hat has always pretty much been the same, pretty sure he had some stubble in 'Last Crusade,' pretty sure he had a satchel in every film......I don't think a torn sleeve changes much.

Uh, no. The hat varies pretty drastically between all the films.

Raiders90

Cole said:

The hat changes a lot as RA said, he has minimal to later no stubble throughout most of LC even while on an adventure, whereas he almost has a beard at the end of Raiders; in KOTCS he loses his gun belt and regular belt as well as his jacket in the Jungle section; In LC he spends a good portion of the beginning--All of Venice-- in a suit and doesn't change back to his adventure gear till Castle Brunwald and wears a neck tie with his adventure gear. In TOD he wears the Tux in the beginning.

Cole

Ya, but I'm just talking about his regular, iconic, "adventure" attire.

It's the similar, iconic fedora in all 4 films........I'm really miffed as to what the heck you guys are talking about.

Cole said:

It's the similar, iconic fedora in all 4 films........I'm really miffed as to what the heck you guys are talking about.

Miffed?

miff |mif|
verb [ trans. ] (usu. be miffed) informal
annoy : she was slightly miffed at not being invited.
noun archaic
a petty quarrel or fit of pique.
ORIGIN early 17th cent.: perhaps imitative; compare with early modern German muff, an exclamation of disgust.

Montana Smith

ResidentAlien said:
Miffed?

miff |mif|
verb [ trans. ] (usu. be miffed) informal
annoy : she was slightly miffed at not being invited.
noun archaic
a petty quarrel or fit of pique.
ORIGIN early 17th cent.: perhaps imitative; compare with early modern German muff, an exclamation of disgust.

Nice. I never expected this "Beard" thread to dive into the "muff".

Cole said:

I think what you're missing, Cole, is what most viewers would miss when watching the movies.

Indy's "iconic adventure" outfit does change from film to film, which became apparent to me when I got interested in 12" Indy figures, and the hot debate surrounding the movie accurateness of the outfits, especially over at the Sideshow Freaks site.

Cole

In that case, the "changes" are extraordinarily subtle........certainly not "drastic" as Resident Alien foolishly claims.

Cole said:
In that case, the "changes" are extraordinarily subtle........certainly not "drastic" as Resident Alien foolishly claims.

Or maybe you should go and actually LOOK at the hats before foolishly calling someone else a fool?

Their shape changes are anything but subtle. Not our fault that you aren't observant.

ATMachine

Cole, the general "look" of Indiana Jones is basically the same in every movie. However, many of the little details change repeatedly from film to film, and that's what a lot of fans get interested about.

Stuff like:

How is Indy's hat bashed (that is, shaped)? What shape was the hat block used to put the dents in it? (It changed between Raiders and Temple.)

How is the jacket constructed? Does it have snaps on the storm flap? (No in Raiders and Temple, yes in Crusade and Skull.) Are the pockets large or small? (Again, it varies.) What about the shape of the buckles on the rear straps? (D-rings or square sliders? Once again, it changes from movie to movie.)

What's the construction of his holster? (It was a custom job in Raiders, vintage army surplus in the other movies.) How is his leather whip-holder strap attached to his belt? (Bolted on in Raiders, removable in the other films.) His satchel? (Its leather strap's color and buckle type vary.)

(Forgive me if I'm mistaking any of the details--this was written in a hurry!)

It's not your fault that you haven't noticed these variations. The filmmakers really didn't intend that you should notice them, and in fact, most people don't. But obsessive Indy diehards do see the differences, and once you know what to look for, they're as plain as day.

Now, as to the question of the beard:

I might have liked, hypothetically, to see Indy in a beard, as long as it was "Mystery of the Blues" length, and not that shaggy woolly monster Harrison sported in The Fugitive. Although I would prefer that Indy cut his hair a little down from the unruly MotB-length.

But I don't think Indy is the type to really sport a beard as his preference. As I understand it, beards weren't very fashionable in the 1930's. Certainly, they were not in any way stylish, and hadn't been since the onset of World War I. By the time of Raiders they were primarily associated with older men.

I don't imagine Indy would realistically be sporting the look of an earlier generation than his own. Indeed, as far as my own preferences go, I'd personally want him to be as fashionably modish in up-to-date 1930's styles as possible. (Though I don't mind if he keeps his 30's style up through the 50's, as really, it never grows old.)

A beard undoubtedly would have increased the resemblance between father and son. However, though I like the idea of a certain continuity in Jones family fashion style, I also think Indy should have his own "look," appropriate to the era he inhabits and embodies.

A mustache, on the other hand, is another story...

Cole

ResidentAlien said:
Love that Temple of Doom pic where you can't even see the bloody crown which is in fact DRASTICALLY different. Well-chosen images there.
lol Right.....that was my whole devious plan.

http://www.collider.com/uploads/ima...he_lost_ark_movie_image_indiana_jones__3_.jpg

You're right.....that is DRASTICALLY different. I barely recognize it's Indy.

ATMachine said:
Cole, the general "look" of Indiana Jones is basically the same in every movie. However, many of the little details change repeatedly from film to film, and that's what a lot of fans get interested about.

Stuff like:

How is Indy's hat bashed (that is, shaped)? What shape was the hat block used to put the dents in it? (It changed between Raiders and Temple.)

How is the jacket constructed? Does it have snaps on the storm flap? (No in Raiders and Temple, yes in Crusade and Skull.) Are the pockets large or small? (Again, it varies.) What about the shape of the buckles on the rear straps? (D-rings or square sliders? Once again, it changes from movie to movie.)

What's the construction of his holster? (It was a custom job in Raiders, vintage army surplus in the other movies.) How is his leather whip-holder strap attached to his belt? (Bolted on in Raiders, removable in the other films.) His satchel? (Its leather strap's color and buckle type vary.)

(Forgive me if I'm mistaking any of the details--this was written in a hurry!)

It's not your fault that you haven't noticed these variations. The filmmakers really didn't intend that you should notice them, and in fact, most people don't. But obsessive Indy diehards do see the differences, and once you know what to look for, they're as plain as day.

Now, as to the question of the beard:

I might have liked, hypothetically, to see Indy in a beard, as long as it was "Mystery of the Blues" length, and not that shaggy woolly monster Harrison sported in The Fugitive. Although I would prefer that Indy cut his hair a little down from the unruly MotB-length.

But I don't think Indy is the type to really sport a beard as his preference. As I understand it, beards weren't very fashionable in the 1930's. Certainly, they were not in any way stylish, and hadn't been since the onset of World War I. By the time of Raiders they were primarily associated with older men.

I don't imagine Indy would realistically be sporting the look of an earlier generation than his own. Indeed, as far as my own preferences go, I'd personally want him to be as fashionably modish in up-to-date 1930's styles as possible. (Though I don't mind if he keeps his 30's style up through the 50's, as really, it never grows old.)

A beard undoubtedly would have increased the resemblance between father and son. However, though I like the idea of a certain continuity in Jones family fashion style, I also think Indy should have his own "look," appropriate to the era he inhabits and embodies.

A mustache, on the other hand, is another story...
I can appreciate that.

I assume they probably had to buy from different producers, so subtle differences are inherent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cole said:
I can appreciate that.

I assume they probably had to buy from different producers, so subtle differences are inherent.

So it'd be impossible for someone else to recreate the hat? Funny... seeing as how there are plenty of fans that manage to recreate each individual hat shape.

Or maybe it's because the filmmakers and costume designers had something else in mind for each movie? Noooo... that could never be! Clearly that tie just showed up in his wardrobe by accident.

Montana Smith

ResidentAlien said:
Or maybe it's because the filmmakers and costume designers had something else in mind for each movie? Noooo... that could never be! Clearly that tie just showed up in his wardrobe by accident.

Indy: Hey! Who put this snake-like object in my wardrobe? Ties. Why did it have to be ties?

Darth Vile

Isn't it just the case that Indy has a classic/iconic look, which whilst consitant with itself (hat, jacket, bag etc.) changes from movie to movie (or scene to scene in some cases)?

AtomicAnt

Katarn07 said:
I for one though Indy looked totally B.A. in Mystery of the Blues with that beard. I think he should have one for his initial outing and can shave it afterwards for the main portion of the movie.
ford.jpg

Agreed. (y)

Raiders90

I wish there were more roles in which Harrison had a beard. He looks BA with one.

Also, hopefully he could sport one in Indy 5.

Insomniac

I think it'd be a good call for Indy five, for maybe just the submission/intro, and later in the states/Marshall College maybe he, cuts it...
But Harrison can pull it off!
(y)