Ancient aliens

WillKill4Food

Re: SETI

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Lacking the money to pay its operating expenses, Mountain View's SETI Institute has pulled the plug on the renowned Allen Telescope Array, a field of radio dishes that scan the skies for signals from extraterrestrial civilizations.

In an April 22 letter to donors, SETI Institute CEO Tom Pierson said that last week the array was put into "hibernation," safe but nonfunctioning, because of inadequate government support.
SETI is up and running once again:
Engadget via Forbes said:
Roswell devotees, dry those tears -- the search for alien frenemies is back on. Four months after going into financial "hibernation," SETI's Allen Telescope Array has been temporarily resuscitated thanks to an infusion of publicly raised funds from the SETIStars program, and Ms. Jodie Foster. The web campaign for those-who-believe raised over $200,000 in just 45 days, enough cash to get the Paul Allen-funded dishes scanning the skies for at least five more months. Tom Pierson, the institute's CEO, is hoping to secure long-term funding for the project from the U.S. Air Force, which could use the array during the daytime "to track orbital objects that otherwise might pose a threat to the International Space Station and other satellites." However Pierson manages to keep the fleet of skyward-facing ears afloat, one thing's for sure -- the truth is out there and tracking it's a hustle.

Gabeed

Why look to the stars when the real ancient astronauts still reside in our very own Great Lakes, clinging to the bottoms of ships and piers? ;)

Seriously though, the existence of aliens is a separate matter from evidence of ancient astronauts. Discussing the viability of modern extraterrestrial encounters or existence is just about as much a quagmire as, for example, discussing the viability of accounts of millions of people who have claimed that they have talked to God and/or Jesus. Ancient astronaut theories are a whole 'nuther beast entirely.

Gabeed said:
Discussing the viability of modern extraterrestrial encounters or existence is just about as much a quagmire as, for example, discussing the viability of accounts of millions of people who have claimed that they have talked to God and/or Jesus.

I know! Like God/Jesus has the time to talk to everybody...silly!

Pale Horse

Staff member
It's a Radio, for talking to God

Prayer-Works-12.jpg

Stoo

"Renaissance" Aliens in Switzerland

UFO sighting in Basel, Switzerland back in 1566!

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case485.htm

A 16th century woodcutting depicts this scene in which dark spheres were witnessed hovering over the town of Basel, Switzerland in 1566. The spheres appeared at sunrise, 'Many became red and fiery, ending by being consumed and vanishing', wrote Samuel Coccius in the local newspaper on this date.

On August 7, 1566, at dawn, many citizens of Basel (Switzerland), frightened, saw during several hours the black spheres involved in a formidable aerial battle, invading the sky of their city: "at the time when the sun rose, one saw many large black balls which moved at high speed in the air towards the sun, then made half-turns, banging one against the others as if they were fighting a battle out a combat, a great number of them became red and igneous, thereafter they were consumed and died out," wrote Samuel Coccius, the student in "crowned writings and liberal arts" who consigned the strange events in the city's gazette.

aug7_ufo_basel.jpg

----------------
While I was aware that Erich von Däniken was Swiss, I didn't know that his protégé, Giorgio A. Tsoukalos (a.k.a. Legendary Times here at The Raven) was also born & raised here in Switzerland.

Stoo said:
UFO sighting in Basel, Switzerland back in 1566!

The return of The Black Plague!

Montana Smith said:
That's really a big load of balls!

No, really. A lot of balls. Of different colours!

:D
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kyOw9yXt_CM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

China Jim

Ancient Aliens ARRRRRRRRRG

May the great saint of archaeology forgive me but I do watch Ancient Aliens and like Staler and Waldorf I make at least a dozen rude comments during each episode I have looked over many of the replies on this subject and I see one word getting bandied about it is the word assume and as my old history professor in college taught me "Never assume it makes an ass out of you and me" I can presume that mayhaps extra terrestrial visitors came here centuries ago but I cannot blindly go into the subject with out facts all that show presents is supposition and the word theory gets bandied about a very much. And since this site is is connected to a fictional character for all those Ancient Aliens fans check out Quatermass and the Pit or under its American title Five Million Years to Earth now if a discovery such as portrayed in that movie was located I would believe but as Quatermass said in the movie " perhaps what was observed was a natural phenomena misinterpreted as something else" The Ancient Alien Astronaut people do not like to admit that our ancient ancestors in there own era was as smart and as inquisitive as we are today.

Stoo

China Jim said:
I have looked over many of the replies on this subject and I see one word getting bandied about it is the word assume and as my old history professor in college taught me "Never assume it makes an ass out of you and me"
Heh. The first time I heard the ass/u/me phrase was back in the '70s in the film, "The Bad News Bears".:)

I can't remember who wrote in this thread (Gabeed, perhaps?) that the most fun thing about the "Ancient Aliens" TV series is trying to figure out which commentator is the bigger nutjob/crackpot!:D

Last month, I did an "Ancient Aliens" marathon over a period of about 2 weeks and watched every episode from the beginning right up to the most recent (Season 3, Episode 8). Groan-inducing moments abound but a few aspects were truly intriguing (even without an ancient alien theory attached to them). What shocks me is that the show never discusses the Dogon tribe in West Africa and the knowledge they possess. Their story can make a person think twice about ancient alien visitation possibilities and it certainly has me 'on the fence'.:eek:

Re. "Quatermass and the Pit": We talked a bit about that film in the thread, KotCS: Homages, Similarities, and References. Anyone interested in the subject of ancient aliens should watch it. (I know Indy's brother did a few months ago.;))

Stoo said:
Heh. The first time I heard the ass/u/me phrase was back in the '70s in the film, "The Bad News Bears".:)
Have to double check that...the original is a top ten movie of mine and I don't recall that!

What I do remember is hearing it for the first time on "The Odd Couple" TV show.

That one and the incantation: Owa, Tagoo, Siam, (which I repurposed as Owa, Tana, Siam).

Which fits the thread quite well...go on, say it. Slow at first and repeat it quicker and quicker until you "get it."

The Secret of Ancient Aliens should become apparent.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Have to double check that...the original is a top ten movie of mine and I don't recall that!
I freaking love that movie, too! (Tanner rules.)(y) The ass/u/me part is right at the very beginning. The coach is explaining it to the kids just before he quits.
Rocket Surgeon said:
What I do remember is hearing it for the first time on "The Odd Couple" TV show.

That one and the incantation: Owa, Tagoo, Siam, (which I repurposed as Owa, Tana, Siam).
Is that the episode where Felix is meditating in the apartment?
Rocket Surgeon said:
Which fits the thread quite well...go on, say it. Slow at first and repeat it quicker and quicker until you "get it."

The Secret of Ancient Aliens should become apparent.
"Oh, what an ass I am.":p So, are you interested in hearing about the Dogon tribe and what they knew before modern-day astronomers did? (I learned about this from a 1979 episode of "In Search of..")

Stoo said:
I freaking love that movie, too! (Tanner rules.)(y) The ass/u/me part is right at the very beginning. The coach is explaining it to the kids just before he quits.
That'll be a pleasure to investigate...you dirty crud!

Stoo said:
Is that the episode where Felix is meditating in the apartment?
"Oh, what an ass I am.":p
I think it's the one where he tries to perform a séance.

Stoo said:
So, are you interested in hearing about the Dogon tribe and what they knew before modern-day astronomers did? (I learned about this from a 1979 episode of "In Search of..")
Sure, I'm game.

I just get tired of the TV show's commercials that link EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF RECORDED PREHISTORY TO ALIEN ENCOUNTERS.

They aren't even selective...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:

They stole it from "The Odd Couple"...when Felix Unger used in against a woman on the witness stand, in 1970.

JayDee

Stoo said:
What shocks me is that the show never discusses the Dogon tribe in West Africa and the knowledge they possess. Their story can make a person think twice about ancient alien visitation possibilities and it certainly has me 'on the fence'.:eek:

Hey Stoo, I watched this episode a few days ago. And from 25:30 on they speak about the Dogon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LzEBy_muhCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
That'll be a pleasure to investigate...you dirty crud!
Sorry, squire. Didn't mean to spoil it for you. However, if "The Bad New Bears" is in your Top 10 All-Time Faves then you should know this. I remember it from Day 1!:whip:
Rocket Surgeon said:
I just get tired of the TV show's commercials that link EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF RECORDED PREHISTORY TO ALIEN ENCOUNTERS.

They aren't even selective...
Heartily agreed. While good theorizing is always welcome, many of the 'suggestions' are too outlandish & wishful. (Just so we're clear, Rocket...Don't you mean recorded 'history'? Prehistory is not recorded.)
Pale Horse said:
They stole it from "The Odd Couple"...when Felix Unger used in against a woman on the witness stand, in 1970.
Interesting, since Walter Matthau is in both the film version of "The Odd Couple" AND the original "The Bad News Bears"! I assumed it was from the latter so I guess that make me an ass!:p
JayDee said:
Hey Stoo, I watched this episode a few days ago. And from 25:30 on they speak about the Dogon.
Thanks a lot for pointing that out, JayDee.:hat: I saw this episode but obviously forgot about the Dogon segment. However, it doesn't go into as much depth as "In Search Of". (I have been reading about the Dogon and am finding a lot of conflicting information but it's still intriguing.)

As a teaser, here's the intro to "In Search of: The Dark Star" (Airdate 1979):
Leonard Nimoy: These dances, these masks, these strange rituals have meaning. They describe, precisely, the relationship between a remote, African tribe and The Heavens. This tribe believes that all life comes from a distant, dark star invisible to the naked eye. Recently, modern science was able to find this star and confirm its existence. Now, we must ask: How did a primitive people, lacking instruments of any kind, discover a dark star hidden deep in space?