Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

Montana Smith said:
Sounds like MacGregor was testing Lucas' limits, just to see how far he could go.
That or playing the odds by stacking the deck with something more outrageous than what he really didn't want to fight to keep.

Montana Smith said:
The line '"I'm coming", he said. "I'm coming."' is a giveaway that he couldn't have been serious!
It's just not possible.

Montana Smith said:
Reminds me of those old school French text books with Jean Paul shouting "J'arrive, Marie Claire!"
Thanks for the recommendation!;)

whipwarrior

Basically these are the Director's Cut novels, before the editor brings in the red pen. Aside from the 'shocking' profanity, there are also a number of other brief scenes and some dialogue axed for whatever inexplicable reason the publisher decreed. Anyway, here's a pic of all three galleys along with their finished counterparts:

11134288015_dccc8a9ba5_z.jpg

Hi-res image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/11134288015_7d0792d067_o.jpg

ROB98374

I have all the first editions of the Indy novels, so I decided to check mine today after seeing this thread.
I opened up mine (for the first time I am sad to say) and saw that I had the unedited version also.
I wonder how many were printed before they changed the text?

whipwarrior

Probably a few hundred copies, but you'd think the editors would have caught this before the book went to press. The heavy censorship of Katrina's erotic vision proves that LFL objected to the borderline graphic sex scene, yet they allow a few F-bombs to casually slip out the door? Either this is a sign of blatantly inconsistent editing, or they didn't have the moral rules of the Indyverse established yet. According to Rob MacGregor himself, Lucas wanted the novels to reflect the same PG ratings as the movies, since adolescent Indy fans were the books' likely audience. The decree must have been pretty effective considering every subsequent author neglected to give poor Indy a libido: He shares a handful of platonic kisses with Gale Parker in the Martin Caidin books, then suffers through the 4-book McCoy saga where he's almost too frightened to even touch Alecia Dunstin, the woman of his affections, for fear of killing her due to the prophecy of the crystal skull. This is just wrong, suppressing the man's natural instincts to placate King Lucas and his vice squad. I personally rebelled against this when I wrote Fate of Atlantis, restoring the very human Indy who was so memorable in the first novels.

Whipwarrior has it right

Especially considering Indiana Jones was conceived as a playboy treasure hunter who just happens to be an archeology professor (Lucas and Spielberg's "James Bond"-type character).

I always thought the books were kind of dumbed down, although many of them are great! And I loved Max McCoy's books, even though there was very little romance/sexual innuendo, etc in them.

I must re-read it, but the closest official novel I know of that was written in the vein of Lucas and Spielberg's original concept was the Raiders novelization by Campbell Black. There was a lot more behind the "Love You" eye makeup from the giddy student in Indy's class! And the Indy/Marion relationship was described in a little more detail. It probably wouldn't go over very well today, sonsidering she was 16 (and I think Indy was 20) when Indy and Abner had the falling out over her.

With lack of Indy material to read at the moment, maybe I'll revisit that novel and see if it still holds up. Its been 25-30 years or so since I've read it.

whipwarrior

I revisited the Campbell Black novelization recently for the first time in many years, and it's a suitable (albeit brisk) interpretation. The 'expanded' scenes feel rushed, as if the author was trying to cram as much into the story and still make it as short as possible. As a reader, I enjoy novelizations that expand a movie, deepening the storyline so that we can appreciate it on another level. Basically, it's my least favorite Indy novelization. I like Temple and LC more than Raiders.

Indyologist

It doesn't bother me at ALL that Indy drops the "F" bomb. Sheesh, his character is NOT for kids, after all. And welcome to f---ing America. Thanks for those AWESOME scans of Indy's using the F bomb and the sex scene. Saved in my hard drive.
Personally, I think it would be awesome if he said the F word in Indy 5. Here's how I envision it:

Major Villian: I am XX XX (yeah, make up a name here), who are you?
Indy: I'm Indiana f---ing Jones.

Here's the t-shirt that inspired this scene. Don't know if I'll ever have the guts to wear it. Sorry mods.

https://www.amazon.com/Coto7-Indian...3047304&sr=8-1&keywords=Indiana+****ing+Jones

whipwarrior

Last year, Rob loaned me the galleys to Interior World because I was curious if there were any major differences between the original manuscript and the final published novel. Surprisingly, I found less than half a dozen changes. Mostly minor lines that were omitted. When Indy and Salandra escape from the Roraima jail, Indy retrieves his hat from one soldier, then says: "Now where's my whip?" He spots it in the hands of another unconscious guard, and reclaims it. In the final story, Indy's line is omitted. He takes the hat, then looks around and spots the whip, and grabs it. I kept my first edition of the novel within reach so I could flip to the relevant page when I encountered a part that I didn't recall from my readings of the story. I think there were more changes in the Seven Veils galley than Interior World.

30024964498_bec0e9cee6_c.jpg

The bookmark was a note from Rob's editor which accompanied the batch of galleys back in 1991:

43894411201_269c5be858_c.jpg

Xzmmc

Raising this thread from the dead to ask if anybody has the images once posted here available. I'm really interested to see them with my own eyes

The Lone Raider

I'm pretty sure I remember reading this too. I didn't like it when I read it. In fact, I don't remember caring much for the whole book. I've only read five of the novels (Philosopher's Stone, Dance of the Giants, Dinosaur Eggs, Genesis Deluge, and Army of the Dead), and I really wasn't impressed with most of them. Philosopher's Stone and Dinosaur Eggs were pretty fun, but that's about it.

Truthfully, I like that Indy is PG-13. It's edgy, but it doesn't go overboard. Having Indy drop an F-bomb feels way too strange and unnecessary to me (even if, technically speaking, one or two F-bombs are allowed in PG-13 films).