What hat should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazybox

penman hats said:
Just to be clear. Richard swales of HJ has been telling all of us for nearly 40 years, that the original raiders Blocks are lost. Some guy walks into the place to start making hats for HJ and just happens to look in a closet after a short time there and bam. He finds all the blocks and material that Richard was too dumb to find. Then after a short time HJ fires him over the dozens of customers complaining about poorly made hats. They let him just walk out the door with all the original Blocks and materials.

Thats the story we are supposed to believe??????? I'm not buying it.

..... and just to sum up

-Richard never checked a closet in nearly 4 decades
-no one else ever checked the closet
-only one guy in nearly 40 years checks a closet
-guy gets kicked from making HJ hats
-guy walks away with the most iconic hat blocks and parts in history

wow! and my video is the stretch???????
I don't think Jack ever claimed to have opened a closet and found the Raiders blocks. He claimed to have found them in a warehouse or storage facility previously owned by HJ, if I recall correctly. He said finding the blocks was a central goal of the company's reboot. It is true that the quality of his hatmaking was uneven, according to some reviews I've read. The one he made for me was a dream come true, however. The man has advanced cancer and is unable to defend himself at present.

penman hats

eazybox said:
I don't think Jack ever claimed to have opened a closet and found the Raiders blocks. He claimed to have found them in a warehouse or storage facility previously owned by HJ, if I recall correctly. He said finding the blocks was a central goal of the company's reboot. It is true that the quality of his hatmaking was uneven, according to some reviews I've read.

and HJ let him walk away with them???? really?

penman hats

damonbus said:
I think I?m going to order the Everyman Indy. The website doesn?t really say sizes available or how long they take to ship. Has anyone ordered these hats? His custom hats could take up to 8 months.

I carry them in stock and ship out the next biz day after receiving paymet.

Feel free to call 971-246-1832 or e-mail me info@penmanhats.com

eazybox

penman hats said:
and HJ let him walk away with them???? really?
After Jack left HJ, he said he still had his blocks. Whether they were copies or the originals is a question only Jack could answer. I believe HJ said something to the effect that they had new blocks they are very happy with. I do not have firsthand experience with HJ's new management. Perhaps others here do. I can say that I really like the photos I see on their Facebook page.

penman hats

Major West said:
If durability and a really tough hat is a factor, as mentioned above I would consider Akubra. If I wanted a really tough hat to wear travelling the world I'd get one of those. Having said that if you ordered a hat in Beaver felt from any of the mentioned vendors it would probably be equally as tough, assuming it was well put togther.

Did someone say tough????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNt69cBPCPI

eazybox

penman hats said:
Steve never used the same block on the HJ that he did on his own hats.
I distinctly recall Steve saying that he did use his Raiders block on his reconditioned HJs. One of the reasons I bought it. I believe he said later that it was the block he used for the grey train hat in CS.

First you claim Steve never made HJs, then you say he never used the same block on the HJs he made that he did on his own hats.

Last edited:

Major West

eazybox said:
I don't think Jack ever claimed to have opened a closet and found the Raiders blocks. He claimed to have found them in a warehouse or storage facility previously owned by HJ, if I recall correctly. He said finding the blocks was a central goal of the company's reboot. It is true that the quality of his hatmaking was uneven, according to some reviews I've read. The one he made for me was a dream come true, however. The man has advanced cancer and is unable to defend himself at present.

He was still taking orders and touting for business on facebook very recently, despite an ugly thread with a couple of people asking where's my hat, you took my money months ago and told me several times it was ready to ship. I've no doubt he's unwell, but I have to question the moral character of a person who continues advertising his services, taking money for orders, but with an unfullfilled backlog..

damonbus

I live in the USA, most of these hat makers are overseas. Has anyone had trouble with customs? Thanks, I just placed an order and didn't think about it.

Major West

damonbus said:
I live in the USA, most of these hat makers are overseas. Has anyone had trouble with customs? Thanks, I just placed an order and didn't think about it.

Asides from making great Hats that's why I suggested Penman for you. USA based. It pays to do your homework to be honest.

ThrowMeTheWhip

damonbus said:

Who did you purchase from?

Never had any customs issues and I purchase overseas all the time.

ThrowMeTheWhip

penman hats said:
Going to have to reply to this. you are only getting half the story. COW wanted free product from vendors as a kick back for having them at COW. when that practice started, I wouldn't go for it as did a few others. Tony Nowak's son Riley for example. We were forced out for not towing the line. They remove all the nasty things they said about people like Tony, Riley and even Peter from Wested. They called him a damn drunk at one point but you won't see all that as they delete and hide. They have the control of the forum, They also read your Private messages, they have sock puppets to direct threads the way they want.

you wan't to believe it go right ahead.

Thank you for responding to that John. But there is no need. I know exactly who you are and how you treated me. You are a horrible person and I do everything I can to dissuade people from buying from you.

ThrowMeTheWhip

damonbus said:
Raiders Beaver Poet, Do you live in the USA?

Yes sir. I am stateside. I have not bought directly from Herbert Johnson. My Poet was bought secondhand from Todd Coyle; he had it laying around his shop, probably used as a test piece for his own hats.

But I buy plenty of things from England. Never had an issue. You should be fine.

damonbus

ThrowMeTheWhip said:
Yes sir. I am stateside. I have not bought directly from Herbert Johnson. My Poet was bought secondhand from Todd Coyle; he had it laying around his shop, probably used as a test piece for his own hats.

But I buy plenty of things from England. Never had an issue. You should be fine.

Thanks, I'll hope for the best.

eazybox

Major West said:
He was still taking orders and touting for business on facebook very recently, despite an ugly thread with a couple of people asking where's my hat, you took my money months ago and told me several times it was ready to ship. I've no doubt he's unwell, but I have to question the moral character of a person who continues advertising his services, taking money for orders, but with an unfullfilled backlog..
It is ironic that the same sort of situation happened with another well-known hatter a few years back. I wish Jack well. I've seen up close, several times, what cancer does to people. Here is a quote from a post Jack made on the Facebook page Indiana Jones Cosplay Group, Sept. 30th:

"Hi guys I'm here.
I'll mail all of you to get this sorted.
This week health wise it's not been good. It seems I'm not getting better with the cancer treatment.
And yet it's frustrating, I do understand. I thought I had the energy to continue hatting and I don't. I'm just getting worse. With regards to making more orders, there was one guy who I said I'd make one for. But only if my health improved. I didn't commit to anything.The total number of hats I made this year is only four.
No more no less.
For the record I will make sure these hats are delivered. And to show there's no hard feelings, I will recompense at a later date.
I will message every one today."

penman hats

eazybox said:
I distinctly recall Steve saying that he did use his Raiders block on his reconditioned HJs. One of the reasons I bought it. I believe he said later that it was the block he used for the grey train hat in CS.

First you claim Steve never made HJs, then you say he never used the same block on the HJs he made that he did on his own hats.

I never said he didn't make HJ. Steve has several Raiders blocks. He was always tweaking them.

penman hats

ThrowMeTheWhip said:
Thank you for responding to that John. But there is no need. I know exactly who you are and how you treated me. You are a horrible person and I do everything I can to dissuade people from buying from you.

I know exacty who you are. One of COWs sock puppets. It's easy hiding behind a avatar.

penman hats

Major West said:

He has been caught in several lies. the floating sweatband for example which got him booted from HJ.

I wish no ill on anyone so if he does have cancer I hope for speedy recover for anyone battling that.

penman hats

On that note I'm deleting my account. I walked away from forums years ago.The only reason I popped in because several people told me about the BS bleeding over here. I said my peace and people can believe what they want. See you in the movies.

ThrowMeTheWhip

penman hats said:
I know exacty who you are. One of COWs sock puppets. It's easy hiding behind a avatar.

BZZZZT. Wrong! I?m a vocal opponent of COW. They banned me 10 years ago. But nice try.

I do take great joy in knowing they banned you as well. Many of us have experienced just how nasty you can be and how unprofessional. I wish you all the worst. And I will continue to steer people away from your hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.