The Beard

San Holo

Do you think Harrison needs to grow a beard or goatee for Indy 4? His neck is starting to resemble my nadsack;)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
For me a beard is a complete no go.
Maybe if the script asks for it at a certain point, plotwise, because Indy lived as a hermit in the jungle for a long time, or he didn't leave his apartement for a year and didn't have a razor...something like that, I'll have no problem. Otherwise it would just hide his face, which - San Holo's-nadsack neck aside- would be a shame to cover.

I just hope they'll find a good look for him. The only thing I can think of is a hair colour similar to the one in WHAT LIES BENEATH (a bit darker than the white hair he's got now)...

The Whip

I would like to see a beard (say at just the beginning). Seems like they do try to mix up Indy's look in each film just a little bit. Bow tie at the university, tux in Shanghai, etc.

Grizzlor

While it remains to be known what year the story actually takes place, we know that Indy has a beard in 1950, thanks to Harrison's "Mystery of the Blues" YIJC appearance. I wouldn't want to see a beard either. It depends on whether they would just bust right into the film as if nothing's different, like the first movies did, or they will establish that Indy has been out of the game for a while.

Absolutely NOT a goatee....

And well, a beard only if they're going to play him the age that he is.... But Indy, that old, would be a crummy movie!!

clairecheaux

I vote for clean-shaven, or the usual stubble, etc. I don't think Harrison's so old that he has to hide behind a beard or goatee. That said, I guess one could work if the narrative called for it.

clairecheaux

torao said:
exactly.

welcome to The Raven, clairecheaux! :)

Thank you. This looks like a fun forum. Great central topic, anyway (y)

Anyway, I didn't realize he dyed his hair for WLB, which wasn't so long ago. If he looks like that--maybe even a bit scruffier--that would be just fine (IMHO).

The_Minority

1955 is when that episode of mystery of the blues takes place! He had a beard in that! but with indy I imagine he could grow a beard in like a month or two. As for his look, I think everyone is taking these images of harrison ford and saying he looks awful well, because he doesn't have the makeup on that he will for Indy 4. I'm sure in his latest movie firewall they used basic makeup to make him look around his age, to show he is a family man and what not. When indy 4 is made they'll use makeup techniques to make him look younger than what he is but still around his age. I'm not worried at all with his look in indy 4. Although, I think the beard was cool and that he should have it in indy 4 I'll be happy either way. (y)

misnomer

mystery of the blues isn't canon- so whether he's got a beard or not is really up to the creators. I don't mind either way - it would make sense for rough and tumble jones not to care about whether he shaves or not!

what a superficial lot ;)

The_Minority

Just out of curiosity why is mystery of the blues not canon? I don't want to turn this into a debate about young indy being canon or not, but Why would you say it with such a "thats the way it is" manner? And again I might have read your post the wrong way like I said I don't mean this to turn into a debate or anything just curious as to why so many people write off young indy being canon. I mean has George, Steven, or Harrison ever said anything about it not being canon. I mean I know some people don't like the young indy series but is that really an excuse to make it non-canon?

Garrett

The_Minority said:
Just out of curiosity why is mystery of the blues not canon? I don't want to turn this into a debate about young indy being canon or not, but Why would you say it with such a "thats the way it is" manner? And again I might have read your post the wrong way like I said I don't mean this to turn into a debate or anything just curious as to why so many people write off young indy being canon. I mean has George, Steven, or Harrison ever said anything about it not being canon. I mean I know some people don't like the young indy series but is that really an excuse to make it non-canon?

the concept of "indiana jones" having a canon is somewhat humorous.

misnomer

The_Minority said:

well COME ON! I did say that rather matter of factly, but have you SEEN that episode?!

EvilDevo

"Not the beard!"

To quote a dwarf, for no apparent reason.

"beard at the beginning, and then he shaves."

I second that. He should have stubble though...

***300 POSTS***

qwerty

clairecheaux said:
I don't think Harrison's so old that he has to hide behind a beard...
Hey, I take that as an insult. I have a beard and it looks very nice. It doesn't cover up my face but actualy extents it in the direction I like at the moment.
i personaly would love to see Indy with a beard. And I would like if he would hold on to it till the end of the movie. Trust me it would work well.
I don't think there are many of beard wearers here so I will have to explain. Once you understand the escence of the beard there is no going back. If you are guy you will grow it, if you are a girl you will make your guy grow it. That's how it works.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Time for some real Beards.

71160555.jpg

qwerty said:
Hey, I take that as an insult. I have a beard and it looks very nice. It doesn't cover up my face but actualy extents it in the direction I like at the moment.
i personaly would love to see Indy with a beard. And I would like if he would hold on to it till the end of the movie. Trust me it would work well.
I don't think there are many of beard wearers here so I will have to explain. Once you understand the escence of the beard there is no going back. If you are guy you will grow it, if you are a girl you will make your guy grow it. That's how it works.

I don't have anything against THE BEARD in general. On certain folks beards look great. I also think that the connection between beards and film directors should be considered a subject of some serious research. Because obviously (see picture) the beard is a state of mind.

I love beards.
But not if they cover the most graceful scarred face on this planet. (The scar: another point in this argument)

Last edited: