How Much Whip Action Can We Expect to See?

Euwhipides

Having spent the last few months getting heavily involved in the art of whipcraft, I was just wondering if we had any bets on how often Indy will use his whip in KOTCS.

Ever since Raiders, we have seen a sad decline in whip usage. In the first movie, he used it six times. Temple was a strong second with five times. But Crusade was really scraping the bottom with a lackluster three times. Actually two if you don't count River Phoenix. Anyway, I really, really want to see some major whip play in this one.

Mild spoilers here, but from what I've seen from the trailers and behind the scenes video, Indy will use his whip to swing on once or twice in the warehouse, once to pull a gun out of a Soviet's hand, and at least once to wrap around something in the Temple set. So that's already more than the sad two-three times in Last Crusade. It fills me with hope.

I think I'm going to say he's going to use the whip at least five times in KOTCS, and it will be an all around whiptastic time.

davejames

Considering that all he appears to have ON him in a lot of these pics is his whip, I think we can assume he's going to be using it a lot.

davejames

lynchpin said:
Remember, a whip is (somehow) a bit more friendly than a gun, especially for use in marketing.

Maybe. I just hope we get a glimpse of the slightly more ruthless and cold-blooded Indy of Raiders in this movie, and it isn't all about punching people and using his whip.

I want to see him mow people down with a machine gun and shoot bad guys in the head again, dammit. :D

The_Raiders

Yeah, I'm looking forword to more whip tricks. There's a pic floating around here somewhere of Indy whiping a cemetary warriors arm. :whip:

Being that Spielberg said he was making this one for the fans, I would think there is a lot of it. Just judging the trailers and TV spots, I always see the whip out, which is great.

The biggest gripes people had with LC were that it was lacking action and the whip was used like twice in the entire movie. I think Spielberg knows that and who the hell doesn't want to see the whip anyway?

The Drifter

I about died from shock seeing Indy crack his whip from the rafters of the warehouse in the trailer/TV Spots.
That looked so badass, and in NONE of the movies did he do it that fast, and sudden!

It reminded me of a video game, and I almost cried at the badassery of it all.

A_True_Believer

davejames said:
Maybe. I just hope we get a glimpse of the slightly more ruthless and cold-blooded Indy of Raiders in this movie, and it isn't all about punching people and using his whip.

He hits someone in the face with a shovel.

I think they have the "ruthless" part covered. (y)

Dr Jones

Well I hope for lots of whippage action, it's a key point of Indy action and one of few lost treasures we have in adventure movies!

So iconic and so different! From what I can gather the whippage we have in KotCS is so far...

- Whipping from the warehouse crates onto and into the truck
- Whipping from the jeep to the beams in the warehouse
- Whipping attack on one of the Cemetary Guards

Any other bits?!

I'm sure it will be great!

:whip:

A_True_Believer

Dr Jones said:
- Whipping from the jeep to the beams in the warehouse

Unfortunately, he doesn't use his whip there. He just grabs a low-hanging light.

Still seems like there will be a lot of whipplay; definitely more than LC at least.

Last edited:

eroc

A_True_Believer said:
Unfortunately, he doesn't use his whip there. He just grabs a low-hanging light.

He does grab the light, but it sounds like they added in a whip "snap" sound, just quieter. check it out.

sarah navarro said:
Im not sure but Spielberg said in the Cannes interview that Indy uses his whip in the first few minutes of the movie:whip:

He was being interviewed by Mary Hart. That revelation excited her.