What was that? Clarification of dialogue...

Ska

WeAreGoingToDie said:
I've been confused about this exchange:

Indy: "A compass, you know: North, South, East-"
Mac: (slyly) "West."

Was this a knock on Russia? Was there a in joke I missed? :confused:

I was gonna bring this up in the Chapter 2 discussion. I think it would have made more sense for Indy to say, "You know, North, South, West..."

And have Mac finish by saying, "East."

For me, two conversations didn't make much sense (not really a clarification of dialogue exactly...more along the lines of the "compass confusion".

1. Spalko clearly states her name to Indy outside the warehouse. Indy later repeats her name while holding her at gunpoint (right before Macs betrayal). So why doesn't Indy seem to know her name during his interrogation with the FBI and General Bob Ross (speaking of which, is he a tribute to the famous late PBS painter? hehe)? He describes her and mentions that she carries a rapier, but why doesn't he just tell them her name?

2. During the beginning of the jungle chase scene, Marion tells Indy something along the lines of, "Why do you think Oxley hasn't talked to you for all these years?!" (referring to Indy leaving Marion a week before the wedding and hence not being a father figure to Mutt). So I believe it's safe to say that Oxley was fully aware that Indy was Mutt's real father. Then why did Oxley seem surprised when Mutt said to Indy (about sticking around) at the end, "Why didn't you, Dad?"

Last edited:

sandiegojones

WeAreGoingToDie said:
I've been confused about this exchange:

Indy: "A compass, you know: North, South, East-"
Mac: (slyly) "West."

Was this a knock on Russia? Was there a in joke I missed? :confused:
They way he said "west" was just a pro western world (free societies at that time) dig to the soviets. You know, north, east south...WEST! (West is best!)

As far as Spalko's comment is concerned I thought she said "cover it" as if the aliens were getting to some bit of knowledge (perhaps how to do the mind control thingy) during mind transfer that ultimately she realized she did wan't until it was too late. She was saying "cover it" and then when she got what she wanted (as Indy stated earlier in the film) she then stated "enough" and "no more", then poof!

WeAreGoingToDie

Thanks sandiegojones!

to SKAbatula:
1. Perhaps all the commotion and a few days in the desert, Indy was foggy of the name but remembered her look and weapon. Or perhaps, he DID know her name during the interrogation. He said "Who is that woman?" referring to her history, not her name. They then said "Describe her", and Indy gave a physical description. Then the folder came out and Indy identifies her. I dont think this was a gaff, it was just that her name wasn't brought up before the file hit the table.

2. Oxley was angry at Indy for leaving Marion at the alter, not for leaving her with his kid.

Benraianajones

Yeah, I am pretty sure Indy just meant what is Irina's background exactly and so on, as opposed to her name. He is then asked to describe her - not name her, and then he is simply shown her file and everything is then confirmed.

And does anyone know the answer to my earlier question? Irina says something I think like "karvarit" when faced by the alien, following her having said "No more!". What does she say? Is she speaking English and I mishear it, or does she say something Russian?

sandiegojones

Benraianajones said:
And does anyone know the answer to my earlier question? Irina says something I think like "karvarit" when faced by the alien, following her having said "No more!". What does she say? Is she speaking English and I mishear it, or does she say something Russian?

I stated above:

As far as Spalko's comment is concerned I thought she said "cover it" as if the aliens were getting to some bit of knowledge (perhaps how to do the mind control thingy) during mind transfer that ultimately she realized she didn't wan't until it was too late. She was saying "cover it" and then when she got what she wanted (as Indy stated earlier in the film) she then stated "enough" and "no more", then poof!

nitzsche

Well, she is saying "cover it" as if someone else is there able to cover the skull and block the psychic connection for her like they had to cover the skull to break Indy free from his trance. Back in the tent, she ordered them to "cover it" before it fried Indy's brain.

sandiegojones

nitzsche said:
Well, she is saying "cover it" as if someone else is there able to cover the skull and block the psychic connection for her like they had to cover the skull to break Indy free from his trance. Back in the tent, she ordered them to "cover it" before it fried Indy's brain.
YES! (y)

Benraianajones

sandiegojones said:
I stated above:

As far as Spalko's comment is concerned I thought she said "cover it" as if the aliens were getting to some bit of knowledge (perhaps how to do the mind control thingy) during mind transfer that ultimately she realized she didn't wan't until it was too late. She was saying "cover it" and then when she got what she wanted (as Indy stated earlier in the film) she then stated "enough" and "no more", then poof!

Sorry, I didn't notice that!

Yes, that makes sense, she is insiting someone "cover it" (the skull/alien)when it had control of her mind. Of course no one was there to do it.

Benraianajones

nitzsche said:
Exactly. Spalko probably had no idea she was left alone.

Probably not, she could see all life's mysteries and the alien in front of her, but totally unable to see anything else due to her mind-wave being on such a "channel".

Stoo

Laserschwert said:
And now I'm interested to know, what else you could accuse "a German" of...
Making damned good sausages and some pretty decent goulash! GUILTY.(y) :whip:

What I find curious is Shia's pronunciation of the word "skull". To me, it sounds like he is saying "skuul" or, almost, "skool".
(Hard to write phoentically.) It's obviously a difference in accent but does this sound normal to any L.A. folks or could it
possibly be a trace of his mother's roots (Jewish from N.Y.)? I think he pronounces it like that in interviews, too, so it's
not part of his act.

Just wanted to remind people of this thread:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Russian Translation Thread

Last edited:

sandiegojones

Laserschwert said:
Why so formal? Did I sound offended in any way? Don't think so...

Anyway, confusing Ws and Vs isn't part of "the" German accent, it' just part of not being able to speak english properly (no offense). As there's no equivalent to the English W in the German language, "we" (as in "the Germans that know the words but not the pronounciation") would always use the V-sound (for Vs and Ws), since that's the only sound we have (German Vs are pronounced either like Ws or Fs, depending on the word). The same goes for a TH for example... we don't have such a sound, so it gets replaced with an S. Other examples a Rs and Ls, which sound different in German.

But there's Germans (like your grandparents) who know the words, and know the sounds, but don't know when to use which ("vile" / "while", "van" / "when", or whatever), at least not "on the fly" during speaking. This "group" probably covers most Germans, since they had English in school to learn the words, but don't get to use it that often to get the pronounciation right.

And now I'm interested to know, what else you could accuse "a German" of...
That was what I meant. I didn't mean German's do that when speaking their languange, but how some sound when they speak English.

And yes, you sounded very defensive with that post.

And for the German accusation thing, come on....you guys like Hasselhoff! That's almost worse than WWI and WWII.

sandiegojones said:
That was what I meant. I didn't mean German's do that when speaking their languange, but how some sound when they speak English.

And yes, you sounded very defensive with that post.

And for the German accusation thing, come on....you guys like Hasselhoff! That's almost worse than WWI and WWII.
Ah yes, Hassel the Hoff, we love him. He's pathetic and lacks any talent, but c'mon, "Knight Rider" was a hit ALL over the world. ;)

YDdItHv2BSnakes

area 51

Anybody know what they are saying when they get to the box? The part I'm talking about it immediately after indy rips open the shotgun shells and drops them on top of the boxes. Thanks!

Stoo

YDdItHv2BSnakes said:
Anybody know what they are saying when they get to the box? The part I'm talking about it immediately after indy rips open the shotgun shells and drops them on top of the boxes. Thanks!

The answer can be found in post #38 of this great thread: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Russian Translation Thread

Here is the excerpt in question:
The Golden Idol said:
Irina: "Naydite!" = "Find it!"

Dovchenko: "Vse komne! Zabadite mashinu, schivelitis, bistro!" = "Everyone come to me! Rev up the car, move, fast!"

When the soldiers are taking out the crate, they say "Taschite! Tak tochno! Davai, davai!" which means "Pull! Yes sir! Come on, come on!" When they lift the crate they say "Ras, dva, tri!" which means, predictably, "One, two, three!"