New photo of Shia and Cate

agentsands77

Mr. Fusion said:
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Shia's character. I will, however, be very displeased if Mutt takes over Indy's part by the end, a sort of "passing of the torch." I'd rather Indy loose his eye... wait, not I wouldn't! I'm too tired to think.:sleep:
I think it's pretty likely that there will be a passing of the torch scene towards the end, though it might be more subtle than anything. I don't, however, think that we'll see sequels to KINGDOM.

Kingsley

I think Shia will be a sort of Marty McFly greaser, the one who gets into trouble when somebody else calls him "chicken" ;)

That must be shortly before or after the dancing scene.
And those soviets... is the infamous Tyler Nelson between them? Or was he digitally erased? Poor guy.

Penitent Man

I think Cate has a little padding in that suit.

It looks to me like the beards wanted the Russian war momma to have a little more baroque look to her. I think it still looks hot and it adds a little dimmesion (no pun intended) to her character. Real life badasses, whether male or female, are usually not looking like models. Cate is a thin woman and a consumate actor, always doing what it takes to embody her roles in as many ways possible. Good choice!

What do you guys think?

Zorg

Blanchett as Spalko seems to have been great casting! Can't wait to see actual footage.

As to Mutt and Spalko duelling, if that happens, I'm sure Mutt gets thrown into the situation against his will and has to be rescued by Indy. But if that's not the case, fine. The movie can handle a fight scene without Indy. Mutt and Indy are on the same side, remember? But that don't mean Indy wouldn't be the main hero. You think Ford would agree to star in a Indy movie without being on center stage, not likely.

jasperjones

Great point Zorg. There is no way Ford would have agreed to a script in which he wan't lead. From his POV this is getting his career back on track and he won't do that by playing second fiddle to an upcoming star. Also, the name of the film gives it away. Indiana Jones. THey won't mess with that too much.

Darth Vile

This movie had to bring in some new blood just to cater for a younger audience i.e. anyone under the age of 35-40? which I think is sensible enough.

Indy will be the hero of this movie, and I?m sure Mutt will be a capable sidekick for a 21st century Indy movie. Whether they want the Mutt character to pick up the baton for potential sequels remains to be seen. IMHO, Mutt will never be as iconic as Indiana Jones, so I?d just wager that Spielberg and Lucas are thinking more of the audience for this movie rather than a future Indy alternative per se.

Also ? I?d agree with the comments that whilst there has been some speculation about a Mutt/Spalko sword fight, I?m sure it won?t be any ?Duel of the Fates?. We?re talking professional soldier against an American greaser i.e. I don?t think it will be that prominent.

TennesseBuck

Michael24 said:
Looks like Cate will get a lot of mileage out of sticking that sword at peoples' throats. :D

She clearly has a gun as well, so I am sure she will not just be pointing swords at people. ;)

deckard24

Dr.Sartorius said:
Most of us are willing to accept Shia. The concern we have is of him taking part in a lot of the movie's major action scenes.
This is a good point! I don't think it's so much jealousy of a young actor, but a concern that Ford's screen time will be diminished, as to provide Shia with a weightier role, one that could possibly continue the series.

I like Shia, and I think he's a good actor. He's funny, charismatic, and has a young John Cusack vibe about him. My negativity towards his part in KOTCS, has always been a due to a concern that the character of Indy would have something taken away by his presence. Not to mention, I've never been completely sold on him being his son, or Indy having a kid that plays a large part in the films. Most of all, I'm not too fond of the idea of a new set of movies starring Shia as Indy's son. That is probably my biggest gripe, yet it is unsubstantiated, considering it's just a rumor.

SterankoII

I think if having Ricky Nelson(who I like as a pioneering rock musician but not a great actor by any stretch) didn't harm the John Wayne movie Rio Bravo(d. Howard Hawks), Shia probably won't be any detriment to the fourth Indiana Jones movie.

Dr. Gonzo

Violet Indy said:
To those guys who don't like Shia:

You're just jealous! :p

Awesome pic. It's got a wonderful atmosphere about it. You know Mutt said something really smartass the way Spalko's looking at him.

Dr. Gonzo: Hehehe. I think someone has a crush.

Violet Indy: :eek:

WhipItGood

deckard24 said:
This is a good point! I don't think it's so much jealousy of a young actor, but a concern that Ford's screen time will be diminished, as to provide Shia with a weightier role, one that could possibly continue the series.

While this information has been out there a long time (since Comic-Con) and it comes directly from the source, I see a lot of fans are reluctant to believe it: not only did Harrison Ford introduce Shia as his sidekick in the film, he introduced the kid as his other sidekick, having introduced Ray Winstone first. Shia got 2nd billing even in the sidekick department.

Harrison seems happy working with all of them, and it's highly unlikely he would take a backseat to a brand new character in his own leading-man franchise. The title alone says who the film will be about first and foremost, and always has. I highly doubt they'll all get it suddenly wrong the 4th time out.

QBComics

WhipItGood said:
Harrison seems happy working with all of them, and it's highly unlikely he would take a backseat to a brand new character in his own leading-man franchise. The title alone says who the film will be about first and foremost, and always has. I highly doubt they'll all get it suddenly wrong the 4th time out.

Thats a good point. You think if they were giving Shia the leading role the movie would just be titled Kingdom of the Crystal Skull insteas of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

-Jones-

WhipItGood said:
not only did Harrison Ford introduce Shia as his sidekick in the film, he introduced the kid as his other sidekick, having introduced Ray Winstone first. Shia got 2nd billing even in the sidekick department.

Just look at the film credits. Shia is the last one...

oki9Sedo

-Jones- said:

They did the same for Sean Connery in Last Crusade. He's not there because he's less important, he's there because they want to put emphasis on his name.

Mutt Williams

-Jones- said:

Nope. He's not the last one. He's got the exclusive "and" credit.

That always goes to special actors, yes, like Sean Connery in Crusade.

creditslq8.jpg

Sometimes there will be other actors after the "and" credit, so only the last name after that can be called "last".