Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Indy's brother said:
Won't kill me to brighten it up a touch, though.
Who knows if it was as a result of the aging process?

Have you noticed turning the lights out while watching a film at home, (or anywhere) effects your perception of the image brightness?

You would have to drop the brightness to make the black truly black. In any event, you're going to get what you're going to get...

...and you ARE going to buy it.

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
...and you ARE going to buy it.

Of course! I'm another starving zombie milling around with no emotional connection to the characters or the films! It's bubble gum! Nothing appeals to me beyond consumption! I swill at the trough with nary a thought to appreciate flavor, temperature, or texture! :p

Indy's brother said:
Of course! I'm another starving zombie milling around with no emotional connection...
Well, I think you know that's not quite true in your case.;)

Maybe it's that you're on the verge of turning but still have the spark of consciousness.

Montana Smith said:
Eventually this WILL be the case!If only out of curiosity, and the sense that the movie library wouldn't be complete without them.
...it will be then that purchasing a blu ray player is added to the list.

Indiana Jones still has that hold over me, one that Star Wars lost a long time ago...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
...it will be then that purchasing a blu ray player is added to the list.

Indiana Jones still has that hold over me, one that Star Wars lost a long time ago...

The original three Star Wars films still have a strong hold over me, but since the Special Editions I don't have the same desire to own them on Blu-Ray. And for that reason I just hope that nothing is added to the Indy original trilogy. I don't want Lucas and Spielberg's present outlook to alter the films I grew up with. I like them just as they are, though I wouldn't mind if they just cleaned up some of the effects (such as the green tinge to the 'Messerschmidt' crashing through the tunnel).

Montana Smith said:
The original three Star Wars films still have a strong hold over me, but since the Special Editions I don't have the same desire to own them on Blu-Ray. And for that reason I just hope that nothing is added to the Indy original trilogy. I don't want Lucas and Spielberg's present outlook to alter the films I grew up with. I like them just as they are, though I wouldn't mind if they just cleaned up some of the effects (such as the green tinge to the 'Messerschmidt' crashing through the tunnel).
HA! I tuned in to Star Wars on the TV last night, "Special Edition."

I really had no problems when they upped the ante content wise, but going into Mos Isley was painful. It was too busy, droids taunting other droids: "nah nah na nah na"...what a waste.

I turned it off after the "Ronto" (Christ forgive me I know what a "Ronto" is), ambled into and filled the frame, totally obscuring Ben and Luke, the troopers the landspeeder. I paused it and told my family I would give them each a hundred dollars to tell me what movie it was. I mean the ENTIRE letterbox widescreen filled with wrinkled skin.

Pathetic.

Though as you note, cleaing matte lines would be welcomed.

Funny thing no matter how they "clean up" the films I can still see the outline of the layered transparencies around ships in flight.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:

I really had no problems when they upped the ante content wise, but going into Mos Isley was painful. It was too busy, droids taunting other droids: "nah nah na nah na"...what a waste.

I turned it off after the "Ronto" (Christ forgive me I know what a "Ronto" is), ambled into and filled the frame, totally obscuring Ben and Luke, the troopers the landspeeder. I paused it and told my family I would give them each a hundred dollars to tell me what movie it was. I mean the ENTIRE letterbox widescreen filled with wrinkled skin.

Pathetic.

Funny thing no matter how they "clean up" the films I can still see the outline of the layered transparencies around ships in flight.

Yes, I dread the thought of them adding a family of CG desert rats (jerboas) to ROTLA, just to mock the Afrika Korps!

They'd be overly cute, too...

jerboa-long-eared.jpg

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:

Pathetic.

I think the re-vamped Mos Eisley section is the most misjudged element of the SE's. In principle, widening the scope of the spaceport is a good one (and in some shots I think it works fine), but I too think the funny droids etc just work as an uninteresting/cheap detraction... I'm not sure the included Jabba scene adds anything as well (although it was initially good to see it on screen for the first time).

It's a pity you didn't keep watching because after Mos Eisley, the additions/alterations are mostly subtle and do work to improve the movie (IMHO)... especially the Battle of Yavin, which now (without looking like an incongruous CGI fest), look a lot more contemporary.

INCUBUSRATM

The CGI added-in bits looked really out of place in the original SW trilogy. I wish Lucas had just left it alone. Although, I do like that Jabba replaced that big white dude in New Hope. I just wish it didn't look so fake. Jabba in Return of the Jedi looks better than digital Jabba, or the Hutts that we're digitally placed in the podrace scene of Phantom Menace. The music number with the dancer/singers in Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi looks so much better than the new digital replacements. The Yoda in Empire Strikes Back looks SO MUCH BETTER than the new Yoda in any of the new trilogy films.

I guess my point is, the puppets and animatronics in the original trilogy without the digital replacements or anything look much, much better than the CGI they were replaced with, or compared to the new CGI that was used in the prequel trilogy. It just worked and looked better. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I wish they still made films this way.

Darth Vile

INCUBUSRATM said:
The CGI added-in bits looked really out of place in the original SW trilogy. I wish Lucas had just left it alone. Although, I do like that Jabba replaced that big white dude in New Hope. I just wish it didn't look so fake. Jabba in Return of the Jedi looks better than digital Jabba, or the Hutts that we're digitally placed in the podrace scene of Phantom Menace. The music number with the dancer/singers in Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi looks so much better than the new digital replacements. The Yoda in Empire Strikes Back looks SO MUCH BETTER than the new Yoda in any of the new trilogy films.

I guess my point is, the puppets and animatronics in the original trilogy without the digital replacements or anything look much, much better than the CGI they were replaced with, or compared to the new CGI that was used in the prequel trilogy. It just worked and looked better. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I wish they still made films this way.

No they don't. Return of the Jedi (as it looked) looked like a Muppet movie... and whilst Jedi Rocks is far from brilliant (and just as bad in a different way), Lapti Nek was god awful. Give me hordes of CGI wookies and battle droids any day over ewoks and muppets.

Darth Vile said:
No they don't. Return of the Jedi (as it looked) looked like a Muppet movie... and whilst Jedi Rocks is far from brilliant (and just as bad in a different way), Lapti Nek was god awful. Give me hordes of CGI wookies and battle droids any day over ewoks and muppets.

Empire Yoda is the best, a fantastic performance that transcends "puppetry."

Jabba had his moments, but the Creature shop did amazing work. What always puzzled me is why they would keep sh!tty takes in the final cut. There were a couple of instances where the rubber showed...Gamorean Guard hands and the like that wobble.

Someday CGI artists will mature but until then Yoda in Empire was executed far better.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Huh. Of all the things to toy with, that seems an odd choice. So does this mean that this scene will not be in the Blu-ray? I guess it depends on whether the author meant
If the re-done shot WON'T be in the Blu-ray edition, then that TV broadcast would be an exclusive (and the Blu-ray will become the *5th* version of "Raiders"!):eek:
Indy's brother said:
I will say that I've always noticed the darkness of that opening scene, but I just thought it added to the impact of the world's first "Indy Reveal". Won't kill me to brighten it up a touch, though.
The quote specifically says, "jungle chase", which leads me to believe that it's the portion between Indy escaping Belloq/Hovitos to running across the field to to Jock's plane. We're talking approx. 30 seconds of Indy & Hovitos running through the jungle. (Personally, I like the darkness and think it's fine the way it is.)

---
Now, I don't like taking things off-topic but...
INCUBUSRATM said:
Although, I do like that Jabba replaced that big white dude in New Hope.
Just so you know, Incubus, the CG Jabba didn't "replace the big white dude" because he never appeared in the original release and was never intended to be seen. That actor was just standing in for the placement of a stop-motion model (which was never completed).

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Now, I don't like taking things off-topic but...
Just so you know, Incubus, the CG Jabba didn't "replace the big white dude" because he never appeared in the original release and was never intended to be seen. That actor was just standing in for the placement of a stop-motion model (which was never completed).

I just posted a very long excerpt from Michael Kaminski's The Secret History of Star Wars in Star Wars

Should the original site disappear, the long-lived Raven may preserve it!

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:

Jabba had his moments, but the Creature shop did amazing work. What always puzzled me is why they would keep sh!tty takes in the final cut. There were a couple of instances where the rubber showed...Gamorean Guard hands and the like that wobble.

Someday CGI artists will mature but until then Yoda in Empire was executed far better.

I don't disagree... but I think Empire Yoda is 'best' primarily because Empire is the better movie; and the scenes between Luke and Yoda are stronger that the PT counterparts. Not taking anything away from the puppetry in the OT, but there are many occasions where Yoda looks very inanimate/lifeless (the natural constraints of the technology at the time). Not saying that the CGI Yoda is better... but there are many moments (specifically in ROTS) where Yoda is pretty much photorealistic/perfect; in that he looks like a real living little green guy occupying physical space next to Obi-Wan/Windu/Sidious et al.

I actually think Jabba in ROTJ is an excellent piece of craftmanship and pretty convincing even today (although is doesn't do that much).

Darth Vile said:
I don't disagree... but I think Empire Yoda is 'best' primarily because Empire is the better movie; and the scenes between Luke and Yoda are stronger that the PT counterparts. Not taking anything away from the puppetry in the OT, but there are many occasions where Yoda looks very inanimate/lifeless (the natural constraints of the technology at the time). Not saying that the CGI Yoda is better... but there are many moments (specifically in ROTS) where Yoda is pretty much photorealistic/perfect; in that he looks like a real living little green guy occupying physical space next to Obi-Wan/Windu/Sidious et al.

I actually think Jabba in ROTJ is an excellent piece of craftmanship and pretty convincing even today (although is doesn't do that much).

You're not wrong, about movie quality. Doesn't hurt to be in a better film, though the amount of screen time Yoda has as a puppet is amazing and emersive. There MAY have been one moment where yoda does the "muppet walk" but its leagues better than the CGI or the Jedi performance, (which was lacking).

I think the puppetry was better done than those they sent off the cliff in Raiders.

Sharkey

Rocket Surgeon said:
Darth Vile said:
I think the re-vamped Mos Eisley section is the most misjudged element of the SE's.
Darth Vile said:
I think Empire Yoda is 'best' primarily because Empire is the better movie;
Who cares? In case you didnt notice, this thread is about the Indy movies on Bluray. Not freaking Star Bores. Any chance to drone on and on and on and on...you take it.

Blah, blah, blah.............

Darth Vile

Sharkey said:
Who cares? In case you didnt notice, this thread is about the Indy movies on Bluray. Not freaking Star Bores. Any chance to drone on and on and on and on...you take it.

LOL - whilst your obtuse posts are anything other than a vacuous aside? :D

Sharkey

Darth Vile said:
LOL - whilst your obtuse posts are anything other than a vacuous aside? :D
This is the Indiana Jones Trilogy page...noticed you didn't comment on that part of the post.

Maybe you missed the whole Indiana Jones Jeopardy Challenge thread?

Want to play?

Sharkey said:

Man, you don't cut much slack do you? OK, maybe that was a bit of a derail, but...

...screw it, when your right, you're right.:eek:

Darth Vile

Sharkey said:
This is the Indiana Jones Trilogy page...noticed you didn't comment on that part of the post.

Maybe you missed the whole Indiana Jones Jeopardy Challenge thread?

Want to play?

This is also a discussion board... 'discussion' being the operative word meaning to converse, to have dialogue. There are valid associations between Star Wars and Indiana Jones. And in this case, the associated trepidation (that some have) that the HD/BR versions may be treated in a similar way to the Star Wars DVD's.

There are fewer posters here than there were before... therefore I think a modicum of associated deviation, within thread, is more preferable than the creation of random new topics... (y)