Young Indy DVDs Lacking

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
Yet these Young Indy DVDs' extras do little more than mention the existence of the Indiana Jones movies, and lack anything one would consider a promo spot, even though in this instance it'd be entirely warranted.

As far as I know, the only reference that the sets make at all to the films is in the very first of the documentaries, "Archaeology: Unearthing Our Past". It shows several clips from Raiders, and the archaeologists refer to the film as something like "Hollywood's portrayal of archaeology". :rolleyes:

Crack that whip

That's what I was thinking of; I've watched that documentary. I haven't watched all of the docs yet, though, and don't even have the third volume yet, but I was pretty sure I was safe in saying there aren't many references to the movies in any of the sets (and certainly no cross promotion for the new movie, at any rate). It's too bad; I'd actually really like to have a little something for KotCS tucked away somewhere on the DVDs. Alas...

Indy Smith

I'll say I agree that it would have been nice to have had some kind of in-depth look at the making of the series as well. It would just have rounded it all off nicely. Some commentary tracks from Lucas, Flanery and the directors and writers would have been cool as well.

I do enjoy the aspect of the DVDs as a history lesson as well. I really enjoyed learning about Ho-Chi Minh as i was never sure how the Vietnam war began so it was interesting to see that the ripples of the Vietnam war could be stretched back as far as World War 1.

gallandro

Crack that whip said:
Then why is there no trailer for the new movie on the DVDs? That's actually really unusual. It's pretty customary for a new DVD release of extant material to include a promo spot for any forthcoming new release of related material.

SNIP for length

Bingo! Lucas has repeatedly stated that he hopes the show can be a tool for teaching history:

“Hopefully, it’ll be used in schools. It’s a very fun way to introduce young people to historical events in the beginning of the 20th century...”

"It really is designed to be multicultural and very world-oriented as opposed to being tied to one particular place and one particular society, and it is more an exploration than a series of editorial positions on various issues, whether it's the environment or espionage. The episodes were designed to be very high quality. After all, we look at very big things -- wars, revolutions -- so we wanted a very large series in terms of the production values. We went all over the world, to 35 different countries. We take Indy to the Great Wall of China and the questions he asks there are what any 10-year-old would ask. I tried to make something basically timeless, something you could use for many years to come to introduce young people to modern history."

And frankly if Lucas waited to release these discs to coincide with the release of KOTCS, can you really blame him? He has spent a TON of his own money producing this disc set.

"We're in the process of enhancing and cleaning up [the picture] for DVD. We're spending more to clean things up then we did to shoot it."

Add to that the costs of producing the documentaries and it becomes obvious the production costs of these sets is staggering... Lucas will likely lose money on these DVDs... lots of it...

Yancy

Adamwankenobi

gallandro said:
Add to that the costs of producing the documentaries and it becomes obvious the production costs of these sets is staggering... Lucas will likely lose money on these DVDs... lots of it...

And that fact alone pretty much invalidates the claims of all of these idiots who type "Luca$" and BS like that. Sure, he likes to make money. We all do. But he isn't greedy.

(This was also shown by the fact that he donated $175 million last year to USC.)

Montana_Jones

I would've rather had documentaries and commentaries for the sets instead of some cheap low budgeted and low end History Channel farce. Yeah, I do enjoy History Channel but reading about the extras is a huge letdown. Where're the restrospective features instead of this History Class farce?
Oh well, doesn't matter anyway...

And Adamwankenobi, you're permanently on my ignore list.

Flannery10

Montana_Jones said:
I would've rather had documentaries and commentaries for the sets instead of some cheap low budgeted and low end History Channel farce. Yeah, I do enjoy History Channel but reading about the extras is a huge letdown. Where're the restrospective features instead of this History Class farce?
Oh well, doesn't matter anyway...

And Adamwankenobi, you're permanently on my ignore list.

I think the docs are absolutely great, even though I agree, that there should have been some Making-ofs and other Special Features.

Besides, who cares if Adam's on your ignore list. You don't have to put it with every single post you do. If you have a problem with him, fine with me, but seriously, stop annoying us by doing that!.(n)

Montana_Jones

Flannery10 said:
I think the docs are absolutely great, even though I agree, that there should have been some Making-ofs and other Special Features.

Besides, who cares if Adam's on your ignore list. You don't have to put it with every single post you do. If you have a problem with him, fine with me, but seriously, stop annoying us by doing that!.(n)
There's a three-part Making of over on YouTube which are from the Japanese LD's. It's alright.

Flannery10

Montana_Jones said:
There's a three-part Making of over on YouTube which are from the Japanese LD's. It's alright.

Yeah, it's pretty good, but I would have liked to see a 10-15 minute documentary for each episode. I guess the production must have been pretty exciting, so there would be more than enough material to fill that time.

Montana_Jones

Flannery10 said:
Yeah, it's pretty good, but I would have liked to see a 10-15 minute documentary for each episode. I guess the production must have been pretty exciting, so there would be more than enough material to fill that time.
True on there. Missed opportunity if you wanted my opinion about it. Only wanted to go for the educational type fluff they did. What about the Interviews from the VHS Chapters?

Stoo

Montana_Jones said:
Only wanted to go for the educational type fluff they did. What about the Interviews from the VHS Chapters?
What about them? They are very brief.

"educational type fluff"? Hardly. The documentaries are crammed with information.
Also, I agree with Flannery. If you're going to ignore someone, then do just that.:rolleyes:

T.E.Lawrence

Adamwankenobi said:
And that fact alone pretty much invalidates the claims of all of these idiots who type "Luca$" and BS like that. Sure, he likes to make money. We all do. But he isn't greedy.

(This was also shown by the fact that he donated $175 million last year to USC.)

Fantastic point.
I am pasting a portion of my post from the thread "Not a fan" that is available here:

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=331762&postcount=16

Here is the pasted excerpt that gives additional confirmation to that thesis:

And here is also one beatufil example of aproach towards the Young Indy from the person who was involved directly at the sets:

Source: http://tinyurl.com/2ddbkk

start of quote

News group: rec.music.movies

Date: 28 Oct 2002 15:58:09 -0800
Subject: Re: Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

I actually had the opportunity to work on this series many years ago,
and agree that it's a shame this type of programming doesn't get made
more often. The reason, of course, was that Lucas financed it entirely
out of his own pocket, and was determined to bring together the best
writers, directors, and composers he could find for the project. This
is where he began his longterm relationship with EP1 and EP2 Producer
Rick McCallum, EP2 & EP3 co-writer Jonathan Hales, and also where
Frank Darabonte got his directing start (read his screenwriting
biography sometime for a few surprises).

And since 'Young Indy' was independently financed, Lucas was
determined to finish it at any cost (and the cost became
considerable), whether a network picked it up or not. He was making a
project close to his heart, and (for once) didn't care about the
profit. So when ABC canceled it after 32 episodes, and it moved to
cable in expanded form, Lucas was already eyeing an eventual video
release to reach the audience he really intended: history classrooms.
The whole idea was to bring history alive by re-enacting it through a
familiar hero's eyes.

Fortunately, I think the spirit of feature-quality storytelling (and
score composition) for television continues in such efforts as HBO's
"From the Earth to the Moon" and "Band of Brothers".

To answer your question about music, though, the two principal
composers for the entire series were McNeely and Rosenthal. Fred
Talgorn and Curt Sobel were brought in to score some of the later (and
expanded) episodes that aired once the series moved to cable - I don't
think any of their music has been released yet.

More info than anyone probably wanted, sorry. I really enjoyed the
series, thought it deserved a bigger audience than it got. I'm glad
it's still playing in other countries.

-Capt.Damage

>News group: rec.music.movies

>From: [Jostein Hakestad ]
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:30:42 GMT
>Subject: Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

>They're showing this series here on a channel called TV3, and I'm VERY
>impressed by it. The series is being aired two episodes at a time, glued
>together to make series of TV movies, if you will.

>The production value, the acting, the stories presented in this series, are
>all marvellous. The past few episodes have been dealing with the horrors of
>the first World War, and they have been as gripping and horrifying as
>anything seen in cinema. A couple of the episodes have had Saving Private
>Ryan-esque sequences 6 years before that movie was even made. There's also a
>lot of humour and romance. For example, Indy becomes involved with Mata
>Hari, and there was also a "Great Escape" -like episode where Indy was a
>prisoner in a war camp.

>Anyway, the scores by such talented people as Lawrence Rosenthal, Joel
>McNeely and Frederic Talgorn, have all been excellent so far. It's some of
>the finest TV scoring I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. The episode I
>saw today (about Indy being a motorcycle courier for the French army) even
>had a big choral cue, which worked very well indeed.

>I'm one of the people who missed this show when it aired in the early 90's,
>so it's an absolutel delight to be able to watch it now.

>--
>Jostein H

end of quote