Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Z dweller said:
Personally, I don't feel another movie with Ford is necessary or desirable at this stage, in fact I'd have been happier if Disney had recast the character in Indy 5.
But I'm still hoping we'll get some flashback scenes set before TOD in the timeline, with a younger actor wearing the fedora.

I'm happy we're getting an Indy 5 (and pleasantly surprised it's a true sequel with Ford) but don't have any preconceived notions for where it should go beyond that. I grew up with the original films which means I also grew up in an era when franchises were allowed to run their course and give way to new properties. It's one reason we're currently posting on an Indiana Jones fan site as opposed to one devoted to Tarzan of the Apes.

That said, I agree with you that the simplest way to introduce a new actor would be to take the LC route: A prologue with a younger actor, assuming that a rebooted sequel was planned to follow soon after. But this is clearly not what Marshall or Spielberg have in mind or they wouldn't keep doubling down on Ford being the only actor in the role.

As Udvarnoky said it makes for a fascinating question: How do you make full use of the Indiana Jones brand when you don't plan on using Indiana Jones after one or possibly two films? It's one of the more interesting dilemmas we've seen appear in an aging franchise revival.

Z dweller

James said:
I agree with you that the simplest way to introduce a new actor would be to take the LC route: A prologue with a younger actor, assuming that a rebooted sequel was planned to follow soon after. But this is clearly not what Marshall or Spielberg have in mind or they wouldn't keep doubling down on Ford being the only actor in the role.
Marshall and Spielberg are not the only producer and director around, and they don't own the IP, Disney do.

I fully expect Indy 6 to be released before the end of 2022 and without any involvement on the part of Ford, Spielberg or Marshall.

Perhaps there really is no dilemma. Disney are making one final Indy instalment with Ford et al as part of the deal Ford brokered to revive Solo; an integral part of Disney's strategy for successfully relaunching Star Wars and maximising the return on their Lucasfilm investment. Indiana Jones IP was likely just collateral within the bigger strategy. Collateral that will still return some profit directly if Indy 5 performs to KOTCS levels at the box office. And indirectly the return is the contribution to everything they will rake in from Star Wars.

I think this is likely but also not unwelcome. Personally I'd be quite happy for the series to die with Ford. I think the 5th film could have real peril and pathos written within that context. Additionally I have never felt that the film series lends itself to an expanded universe or endless chapters as it has a fairly narrow focus in terms of narrative and character, and I say that from the point of view of one for whom these include the greatest films ever made and best film character of all time, so nothing derogatory.

James

Udvarnoky said:
The problem is that Indiana Jones isn't the "formula" of the franchise -- he is the franchise. Take him away, and you're not "innovating the formula," you are in fact making something altogether different. Which is great, but trying to coerce it into something people identify with a very specific character seems an odd prospect, creatively and commercially.

Would creating a "Raiders" film that reduced Indy to a mentor role really be any different than what is currently happening with the Rocky franchise, though? I agree it's an odd prospect but so is this entire obsession with never letting a franchise die, even if it means actors have to keep reprising signature roles well into their sixties and seventies.

But I was really thinking more about the limitations of a period setting with that comment. When people talk about taking the "Bond route" with Indy, they're forgetting that ditching the period setting was an equally big key behind Bond's longevity. It's not just because they kept changing the lead actor. The producers could've never gotten 20+ films out of the franchise if it had remained rooted in the 1960s.

Now personally, I like the idea of keeping a strict formula for Indy. To have each film be self-contained with new villains, sidekicks, and love interests every time out. But I see where that might become a problem for audiences as franchises continue to focus more on creating diverse ensemble casts and sequels that build upon each other. I definitely don't expect to see another sequel in the mold of TOD.

I guess it ultimately depends on how prolific Disney expects the property to be for them. If they're only viewing it as something to dust off every few years, it's easier to see why they might be in agreement with Marshall and Spielberg's vision. If they can find a way to make a couple more films work around Ford's age, that could easily take the franchise into the next decade.

James

StwongBwidge said:
Additionally I have never felt that the film series lends itself to an expanded universe or endless chapters as it has a fairly narrow focus in terms of narrative and character, and I say that from the point of view of one for whom these include the greatest films ever made and best film character of all time, so nothing derogatory.

This is more or less what I meant by my previous post. These films are throwbacks to a specific time and art form and I'm not sure how well they will lend themselves to the "Marvelization" Hollywood currently loves to indulge in.

I do still think Disney will want to reboot the property at some point but you're right that it simply may not be a high priority for them right now. They may also feel it's never been particularly viable outside of Ford's portrayal and are content to let Marshall and Co. stick around as long as they're willing and able. (Or they may have really, really wanted to reboot and Ford got them over a barrel. Who knows? :p )

Udvarnoky

James said:
Would creating a "Raiders" film that reduced Indy to a mentor role really be any different than what is currently happening with the Rocky franchise, though?

I guess I'd be impressed and surprised if Disney was thinking along those lines. Would Disney really buy "Rocky" just so they can make "Creed"?

JasonMa

DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE said:
So what do we know this week...it will be a continuation from the Crystal Skull,and will feature the ONE and ONLY indiana Jones ;)
Would that be the Harrison Ford, River Phoenix, George Hall, Sean Patrick Flanery, or Corey Carrier one and only Indiana Jones? :D

Johnny Nys

I don't like that "continuation from Crystal Skull". They mean the story will take place AFTER KotCS, but it sounds like it's going to be "KotCS 2".

Pale Horse

Staff member
JasonMa said:
DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE said:
So what do we know this week...it will be a continuation from the Crystal Skull,and will feature the ONE and ONLY indiana Jones ;)
Would that be the Harrison Ford, River Phoenix, George Hall, Sean Patrick Flanery, or Corey Carrier one and only Indiana Jones? :D

Zing!

DirectHotGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

Indy Jones

JasonMa said:

Or the most-beloved non-Ford Indy: Doug Lee?

IAdventurer01

Indy Jones said:
Or the most-beloved non-Ford Indy: Doug Lee?

Not that I disagree, but it seems interesting - and perhaps relevant - that the most beloved non-Ford Indy also seemed to channel Ford the least.

Raiders90

IAdventurer01 said:
Not that I disagree, but it seems interesting - and perhaps relevant - that the most beloved non-Ford Indy also seemed to channel Ford the least.

I'd say George Hall and SPF channeled Ford a lot less than Doug Lee to be honest.

Z dweller

Attila the Professor said:
In a perfect world, we wouldn't hear a thing until the premiere.
I see your point, but would would we do here at the Raven for the next three years? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.