Looks like it is official

ChromiumBlue37

Not to argue with you, but Hasbro presented pictures with a date. What's not to beleive? I still expect these to be made available, be it a retail or on-line exclusive. Retailers were probably placing orders based on the figures displayed at the presentation slideshow.

They can't just show a wave of figures and then not follow through with product.

gringo

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Not to argue with you, but Hasbro presented pictures with a date. What's not to beleive? I still expect these to be made available, be it a retail or on-line exclusive. Retailers were probably placing orders based on the figures displayed at the presentation slideshow.

They can't just show a wave of figures and then not follow through with product.

Sure they can. Happened a million times with a million companies. One example was Palisade's Toys. Showed pictures and announced the next wave of Muppet and Sesame Street figures. They stopped answering alot of their questions and one day (not too soon after they showed pictures), they announced they were closing shop.

Hasbro has done it several times with the Star Wars lines. They showed pictures of product and decided not to release them.

ChromiumBlue37

I am not talking about a defunct toy company or cantina tables here. Nor am I referencing "leaked" insider information and preliinary, unreleased pictures that were smuggled out of Hasbro's offices. I am talking about a wave of action figures that they know collectors want and presented to retailers and collectors both at Comic Con San Diego 2 months ago.

Hasbro knows exactly how enthusiastic the fan base is for this line.

gringo

ChromiumBlue37 said:
I am not talking about a defunct toy company or cantina tables here. Nor am I referencing "leaked" insider information and preliinary, unreleased pictures that were smuggled out of Hasbro's offices. I am talking about a wave of action figures that they know collectors want and presented to retailers and collectors both at Comic Con San Diego 2 months ago.

Hasbro knows exactly how enthusiastic the fan base is for this line.

The problem is, that i think people are over excaudating the fan base for this line. There is a loyal fan base, but not sure how big it really is. Not to try to argue with you, but sometime fandom can cause oversight at something right in front of our eyes. Trust me, I was like that with the Muppet line. After that debacle, I have played it alot more cautious. It took me a while to believe that the GI Joe line was going to be successful, but look at it now. It is probably one of the most successful toylines right now.

QBComics

I don't think it is. Besides when Indy is this popular, they wouldn't. I dobt it. Everyone I talk too now actually knows who he is and all his glory. Besides I have yet to get Vogel, Grail Knight, Young Indy, Shorty, Mola Ram, Indy (ripped sleeve), Toht, and the German Mechanic. $56.00 from me alone. I probably will pick up ones I DON'T want as much. Not too mention, there are about 50 more great characters they can do and then the same characters in different outfits.

ChromiumBlue37

Hasbro has done a great job with figures, vehicles and environments, but why the massive amounts of the same old action figures. They are using the Star Wars formula for production numbers and case packs which makes little sense when maintaining a new line of action figures.

vf wing

The ball was dropped from the beginning with apparent overestimates of how the line would sell. Yet it still doesn't make sense to pull the plug before the DVD and holiday season hit.

All this angst over an internet rumor. While it may be true, i'm not ready to put my faith in it.

Avilos

I am just a casual "collector" at most. I have bought a few of the figures I like. I think the first RAIDERS line was weak. Toht should have been in the first wave. Instead they start with characters like "Monkey Man" and the "Cairo Swordsman"??!!! The Wal-Marts and Targets go to have tons of these figures.I The fact that they do not even have names should have been a hint. Kids who have recently been introduced to the films would not find them memorable. This is not like Stars Wars were every minor background character is a cool looking alien or Droid.

Abner Lives

So Hasbro doen't want my money.....meh.

So what we've learned...

1) The line might end after TOD.
2) The line might not end after TOD.
3) The street date for for the next ROTLA wave is Jan 09.
4) The street date for the next ROTLA wave is Dec 09.
5) Hasbro is raking in the cash from this line.
6) Hasbro isn't making any money from this line.
7) Hasbro loves Indy.
8) Hasbro wants to throw Indy into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
9) Hasbro listens to the fans.
10) Hasbro wants to throw the fans into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
11) Everyone has a cousin who knows a guy who dated this chick that works at Hasbro.
12) None of this matters, really.

I'm pretty damn happy that we got what we got. It certainly beat the heck out of the Kenner days. Yes, Hasbro's indy decisions were made by a bunch of myopic, drunken, slow witted chimps with the hiccups and ADD. But after seeing what glorbes and Indyskin and the rest are able to do it just doesn't matter to me anymore. If the line continues I'll buy everything Hasbro puts out. If not, screw 'em, its their loss, I'll make my own.

End of "grumpy old Indy" impersonation.

Dewy9

Well, I don't collect the action figures (the LEGO line is for me), but this is sad news for all Indy fans if it's true.

Vance

There's an awful lot of 'dead plastic' from Crystal Skull on the shelves right now. I doubt Wal*Mart could GIVE the toys away at this point. Given that most stores are clogged to the rafters with Mutt and Spalko, to the point that they cannot physically fit the 'current' wave of toys, is anyone really surprised the line's dying?

I can't be, honestly. I'm dissapointed, but it's pretty obvious that the action figures relied on Crystal Skull being not only a hit, but a 'franchise seller', and it just plain wasn't.

At least the Chibis will continue a smidge longer.

kevblee

I agree, if this is it for the Indy line.....that sucks, but I'm not surprised. Indy has never had the fan base that Star Wars has. The fourth film did well at the box office, but I don't think it stirred the Indy Fandom it could have. Let's face it, Star Wars is Hasbro's cash crop. GI Joe is seeing a resurgence ... and it's because of nostalgia. I loved my joes in the 80's ...and the new "old" school packaging has me collecting those again.

I always wanted a modern Indy figure, Willie and Shorty, and Henry Sr. It looks that much was and will be at least realized. If this is all we get....I guess we should be happy it happened at all. But I do think the line, the releases, were all poorly mis timed and mis managed.

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:

come on now Bro....they were playing to the crowd..they did the EXACT same thing at the end of the joe run.

TRUST me on this.. I have heard the inside infor FROM THE SOURCE..These figures were left overs and the 1/09 date was HIGH hopes and to get out of the Con alive.

tnswman

Abner Lives said:
So what we've learned...

1) The line might end after TOD.
2) The line might not end after TOD.
3) The street date for for the next ROTLA wave is Jan 09.
4) The street date for the next ROTLA wave is Dec 09.
5) Hasbro is raking in the cash from this line.
6) Hasbro isn't making any money from this line.
7) Hasbro loves Indy.
8) Hasbro wants to throw Indy into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
9) Hasbro listens to the fans.
10) Hasbro wants to throw the fans into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
11) Everyone has a cousin who knows a guy who dated this chick that works at Hasbro.
12) None of this matters, really.

I'm pretty damn happy that we got what we got. It certainly beat the heck out of the Kenner days. Yes, Hasbro's indy decisions were made by a bunch of myopic, drunken, slow witted chimps with the hiccups and ADD. But after seeing what glorbes and Indyskin and the rest are able to do it just doesn't matter to me anymore. If the line continues I'll buy everything Hasbro puts out. If not, screw 'em, its their loss, I'll make my own.

End of "grumpy old Indy" impersonation.

Before you reference my sources and make fun, you might want to know who you are talking to..I am the one who had these figures MONTHS before anyone else in america..I have been on the Hasbro side all the way until the pointthat they simply screwed the line.. That was the way it happened and to be honest, The only thing that was wrong with the Indy line was that we did not do enough to meet the GREED of Hasbro and Lucas...That's it.. When we showed hasbro that this was a Collector's only line, THEY WALKED AWAY...they had to though because Lucas is charging too much for a COLLECTOR's LINE!

Do ANY of you think that Hasbro payed for this line for Multiple years? HE!! NO!!! This was a one and done line with the hopes of 4 waves...If it caught fire then they could continue..Well, It made it's money and then it died....You need to look at who is responsible for that!! Look a tthe cases that are shipping now and the cases to come...What in the HE!! did Hasbro expect?

tnswman

Vance said:
There's an awful lot of 'dead plastic' from Crystal Skull on the shelves right now. I doubt Wal*Mart could GIVE the toys away at this point. Given that most stores are clogged to the rafters with Mutt and Spalko, to the point that they cannot physically fit the 'current' wave of toys, is anyone really surprised the line's dying?

I can't be, honestly. I'm dissapointed, but it's pretty obvious that the action figures relied on Crystal Skull being not only a hit, but a 'franchise seller', and it just plain wasn't.

At least the Chibis will continue a smidge longer.

that was the whole problem..They DID rely on KOTCS to carry the whole line when they hardly released ANY KOTCS figures and toys..They should have been selling the Indy figures last year..we knew they were ready...However, this shows that they were after all of their money in a 5-6 month time frame.

Vance

tnswman said:
that was the whole problem..They DID rely on KOTCS to carry the whole line when they hardly released ANY KOTCS figures and toys..They should have been selling the Indy figures last year..we knew they were ready...However, this shows that they were after all of their money in a 5-6 month time frame.

Well, that was largely out of Hasbro's hands. That's pure Lucas, baby. All of Lucas's licenses are pushed to sell his favorites, and screw the rest. (Look at the huge swath of Clone wars product, and the fact that prequel episodes are STILL getting the bulk of figures on the shelves). WotC has more than one expressed regret about the Star Wars gaming license.. and other companies with whom I have worked have voiced similar complaints about Lucas's demands on them.

So it's not a surprise. Half of Lego's line had to be Crystal Skull, after all, though the demands were for classic pieces. Temple of Doom was oddly and pointedly downplayed as even existing, and so on...

As a friend of mine once told me: "A Lucas license is basically paying an assload of money to get told what exactly you can make and how you can sell it, and, when done can only HOPE you get the money out of it."

tnswman

Vance said:
Well, that was largely out of Hasbro's hands. That's pure Lucas, baby. All of Lucas's licenses are pushed to sell his favorites, and screw the rest. (Look at the huge swath of Clone wars product, and the fact that prequel episodes are STILL getting the bulk of figures on the shelves). WotC has more than one expressed regret about the Star Wars gaming license.. and other companies with whom I have worked have voiced similar complaints about Lucas's demands on them.

So it's not a surprise. Half of Lego's line had to be Crystal Skull, after all, though the demands were for classic pieces. Temple of Doom was oddly and pointedly downplayed as even existing, and so on...

As a friend of mine once told me: "A Lucas license is basically paying an assload of money to get told what exactly you can make and how you can sell it, and, when done can only HOPE you get the money out of it."

Here is the difference though, Star Wars has a MUCH longer sell through time. the clone Wars figures were made probably 3-1 times more than the Indy figures. Indy was dropped early on after the final TOD sculpts were turned in..As I said, These ROTLA figures are NOT NEW..the were made as a whole group of ROTLA figures and the suits chose the current figures for our wave 1. This second wave was NOT produced outside of Prototypes.

Vance

tnswman said:
Here is the difference though, Star Wars has a MUCH longer sell through time. the clone Wars figures were made probably 3-1 times more than the Indy figures. Indy was dropped early on after the final TOD sculpts were turned in..As I said, These ROTLA figures are NOT NEW..the were made as a whole group of ROTLA figures and the suits chose the current figures for our wave 1. This second wave was NOT produced outside of Prototypes.

Yes, but you miss what I'm saying. Guess who got to approve the waves as they were shipped out, and why there's been so insane of a focus on not just Crystal Skulll figures, with Mutt in particular? Again, it wasn't Hasbro.

Garfoot

I am just a little confused. Are the TOD figures that I have preordered and initally slated for mid September going to be released or cancelled? Or are they just pushed back to go along with the DVD of KOTCS? I am very new to this site so I was wondering if someone could clarify. However it sounds like the second wave of ROTLA are dead, is this right?:confused: :confused:

Vance

Garfoot said:
I am just a little confused. Are the TOD figures that I have preordered and initally slated for mid September going to be released or cancelled? Or are they just pushed back to go along with the DVD of KOTCS? I am very new to this site so I was wondering if someone could clarify. However it sounds like the second wave of ROTLA are dead, is this right?:confused: :confused:

There hasn't been a formal announcement yet, but it looks grim at this point. (Wal*Mart is refusing to take any more Indiana Jones stock, for instance)