Why do you hate Willie Scott?

|ZiR|

Willie rocks. Together with Shorty they managed put a lot of humor into some very dark subject matter. Plus, Anything Goes/Club Obi-wan was an awesome opening scene. Funny and action packed. (y)

Y'know, I like Kate Capshaw. She's not the most attractive actress or the most successful, yet she scored Spielberg. That's gotta count for something.

But back to Willie-- I never thought she screamed too much. It was just enough, I thought. So, to the people who don't like her, are there any other characters in other films who you find scream too much as well?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Willie's ok. She just reminds me of my mother. They act very similar. Not easy for a Marion wannabe. :rolleyes: However, Mum ain't materialistic like Willie. What I don't like is her materialism. I can understand not liking snakes and bugs. I had to deal with that on a work experience trip half a country away from home... *cough* damn birdeating spider *cough*

indyflys_solo

herr gruber said:
I know this is a case of herrgruberflys_solo, but, I think Willie is screaming because she fears for her pretty little life.
That was a terrible pun, Gruber. And fearing for her "pretty little life"... from an owl? And a jumble of skeletons? And a bunch of creepy crawlies much smaller than her (none of them poisonous, by the way)? And cave slime? And... and I can keep going, Gruber. :p

Tron7960

I don't hate Willie. I've no doubt she had some great qualities.
Just not the kind of qualities you can show in a family film;)

Tron

Kooshmeister

I don't mind Willie at all. People who harp on her for behaving the way she does out in the jungle seem to forget she's spent most of her life as a nightclub performer. I.e., she's a normal person out of her element. If anything I've always kind of felt sorry for her.

MaverickKing

Marion is still my favourite Indy girl, but I still hold Willie Scott close to my heart. She's still feistier than Ursula Andress in Dr. No, despite how hot she looked in that bikini. :p

bonoferox

Don't hate her, but thought she was the weakest of the series.

After her experiences in Indian, she most likely could have become a strong character on their way to Delhi and less sqeamish, but who knows.

Major West

I love Willie. She's pretty and sexy, she could sing and dance like a star. She'd probably be a good cook too and would take care of her man (as long as it's not a life and death scenario).

All in all a near perfect woman.

Agent Z

Willie won me over at the end of the film when she was on the bridge and finally realized what Indy was planning to do...

"Oh... my... God! Oh my God... Oh my God... "

She summed up that moment perfectly! :D

crowmagnumman

I don't hate Willie. She may be a little annoying, but she's great comic relief. She's the perfect contrast to Indy's stoicism. Anyways, I love Temple of Doom. Since she is part of it I can't totally hate her.

Canyon

Kooshmeister said:
I don't mind Willie at all. People who harp on her for behaving the way she does out in the jungle seem to forget she's spent most of her life as a nightclub performer. I.e., she's a normal person out of her element. If anything I've always kind of felt sorry for her.

You know, even though I don't feel sorry for Willie Scott, I agree with everything else you've said.

Think how most of us would feel if we went through what she did on that adventure. As for Indy, he is used to this sort of thing. ;)

Robyn

I don't hate Willie, the only one I hate is Elsa... Here's how I feel, I wanted Marion in all the Indy films and Marion is Indy's true love, so I resent Willie for being there instead of Marion.. I really can't blame her for screaming all the time, a girl like that naturally would and she was a bit funny sometimes in an annoying sort of way, I just don't like her being a love interest for Indy, that Marion's territory ;)

Vance

My issue with Willie is that she was a very bad 'comic effect' character. She was reduced to screaming all the time, if it made sense to do so or not. The 'street princess out of her element' really didn't work, and she didn't really seem to 'get it together' much until the very end, where hints of her original character treatment finally show up.

If the editing of the overall movie had been better, we might have seen a more rounded Willie Scott (you know what I mean, pervs!), with a few more of the more jaded and urban princess showing through, and the endless screaming would have been avoided.

As it wound up, though... I mean, honestly, you do realize there's a reason the Lego Willie's special power is to SCREAM, right? :p

Robyn

I do agree with you, even though I don't "hate" her and wish Marion was there instead, her character is too shallow, even if she was strictly comedy relief, and even if I can understand why her character would scream all the time, I don't think the audience wants to listen too it for almost two hours. Also she's way too easy, kind of a slut, she only knew Indy for a day and already wants to sleep with him.. Marion had a history with Indy

Vance said:
My issue with Willie is that she was a very bad 'comic effect' character. She was reduced to screaming all the time, if it made sense to do so or not. The 'street princess out of her element' really didn't work, and she didn't really seem to 'get it together' much until the very end, where hints of her original character treatment finally show up.

If the editing of the overall movie had been better, we might have seen a more rounded Willie Scott (you know what I mean, pervs!), with a few more of the more jaded and urban princess showing through, and the endless screaming would have been avoided.

As it wound up, though... I mean, honestly, you do realize there's a reason the Lego Willie's special power is to SCREAM, right? :p

WeAreGoingToDie

Don't hate her but: whiny, zero-impact on the later films, smacked Short Round around for about five minutes (did anybody else have that extended scene on their DVD???) :(

Lance Quazar

Say what you will about the screaming, but out of all the Indy gals, Willie is unquestionably the best in the sack.