Foreign language dialogue

NLogan

My Dad speaks fluent German and I fondly remember watching the films with him as a kid. He would always translate the lines for me as we watched. Thanks Dad.

Michael24

Thanks for all the great info, Laserschwert. I wish I had kept up on my German after high school.

Stoo said:
Any idea on the "Raiders" dialogue?
Off the top of my head, I know some of the stuff the German soldier says as he walks up to Indy in the submarine area. "Guten tag. Müde?" = "Good day. Tired?" I believe he also asks "Where is your hat?" and at one point I think he tells Indy he looks like a pig because you can hear the word "Schwein." LOL!!

Michael24 said:
Thanks for all the great info, Laserschwert. I wish I had kept up on my German after high school.

Off the top of my head, I know some of the stuff the German soldier says as he walks up to Indy in the submarine area. "Guten tag. Müde?" = "Good day. Tired?" I believe he also asks "Where is your hat?" and at one point I think he tells Indy he looks like a pig because you can hear the word "Schwein." LOL!!

Yeah, that guy is really cool. I assume he's dubbed, judging by the different sound quality. But it's obviously a German doing the lines, as he has a perfect northern German accent. Here's what he says:

"Guten Tach. Müde?" - "Good day. Tired?" (with great sarcasm in his voice)

"Warum schläfst du?" - "Why are you sleeping?" (angry)

"Wo ist dein Hemd?" - "Where's your shirt?"

"Wasch dich mal!" - "You should have a wash!"

"Damit du nicht aussiehst wie ein Schwein bei deinem Standgericht!" - "So that you don't look like a pig at your summary execution!"

"Steh auf..." - "Get up..." (but Indy doesn't let him finish ;) )

Kooshmeister said:
1. What the guy with the wrench says. I know the big, bald guy's dialogue has been discussed on here before, but poor Mr. Badwrench's dialogue has gone unmentioned.
First of all, the German officer before the Flying Wing scene (after Belloq's "When we are very far from here."):

"Das Flugzeug ist bereit Herr Major, es kann beladen werden." - "The plane is ready Sir Major, it can be loaded." (perfect German, obviously a German actor)

The wrenchman:

"Du da!" - "You there!"

"Wer sind sie?" - "Who are you?" (strangely shifting from the casual "du"-you to the formal "sie"-you)

"Was machen sie dort?" - "What are you doing there?"

"Komm runter!" - "Come down!"

By the way, the first line by the bald guy sounds like "Hey Dünner!", which means "Hey skinny!", although both music and effects make it hard to understand. Probably it's just "Hey du da!" - "Hey you there!"

Kooshmeister said:
And during the truck chase:

1. What Gobler (or whoever) yells upon seeing Indy just as the chase begins.
Very hard to hear... sounds like "Was macht der denn da?" - "What's he doing there?"

Kooshmeister said:
2. What the soldiers yell when Gobler's gunner fires in their direction recklessly.
Again, hard to hear, sounds like (the appropriate) "Hör auf!" - "Stop it!"

Kooshmeister said:
3. What the other guys in Gobler's car are saying after "Ah, scheisse!" when he drives back onto the road. It really is difficult to make out but I am interested in know what they're saying.
Too hard to hear... the first thing is "Vorsicht!" - "Careful!"

Kooshmeister said:
4. What the one soldier says after climbing out of the river, when they wipe out in their motorcycle.
"Dreh es um! Dreh es um!" - "Flip it over! Flip it over!"

Kooshmeister said:
5. What the Sergeant says that his guys respond to with "Jawohl!" before they climb out onto the sides of the truck.
It doesn't sound like anything German to me... at least nothing that fits the situation.

Kooshmeister said:
6. The incidental dialogue of the soldiers as they're climbing out.
"Lass ihn dich nicht sehen!" - "Don't let him see you!"

Kooshmeister said:
7. And finally, what Dietrich says that makes the Sergeant floor it (I get "Come!" though).
"Fahr näher heran! Schneller jetzt!" - "Drive closer! Faster now!"

"Näher heran, komm!" - "Closer, come!"

Stoo

EXCELLENT posts, Laserschwert!:hat: They add a new dimension to those scenes,
especially, "Don't let him see you!"
Laserschwert said:
It doesn't sound like anything German to me... at least nothing that fits the situation.
That is rather odd.:confused:

Kooshmeister

Laserschwert said:
First of all, the German officer before the Flying Wing scene (after Belloq's "When we are very far from here."):

"Das Flugzeug ist bereit Herr Major, es kann beladen werden." - "The plane is ready Sir Major, it can be loaded." (perfect German, obviously a German actor)

That would be Gobler, played by Anthony Higgins who is actually British. Also he addresses Colonel Dietrich by the wrong rank. Gobler is a major, though. I think.

Beyond that, though, he sure fooled me and I was surprised when I learned Higgins isn't actually German.

Anyway, thank so much! Those really helped a lot. :)

Michael24

How about the line Vogel yells as the blimp is taking off? Oddly enough, my German teacher had trouble translating that line and said it seemed like it was missworded or something in the script to the point that it didn't really make much sense. (Perhaps the line in the actual film is a more correct version?) I always figured it was something along the lines of "You haven't seen the last of me!" :)

Kooshmeister

A German-speaking friend of mine says he's basically saying he'll rip Indiana to pieces. "You will come to pieces by me!" or something like that.

JerryKing

Most of all that dialogue translates to:
Achtung! Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der strasse. Und vun vas... assaulted!

and all this time I thought he was saying

"Excuse this,(interruption) but I have my orders. Captain Velot Enburen!"
I figured he was in charge of the plane and he was introducing himself before giving his report.

Indy~Annie

what does the German say (in the last Crusade) where there in the tanks and Indy's fighting a Nazi on top.the Nazi in the tank was looking through the...uh...looky see through glass thing.lol sorry i dont know what its called...well Indy' foot hits the looky see through glass thing and the nazi gets hit in the head and lands on Marcus....was it Marcus? oh well....does any one know what im talking about? :confused:

sorry about bad detail.

so what does the Nazi say? :whip:

Mrs_Fedora

Indy~Annie said:
what does the German say (in the last Crusade) where there in the tanks and Indy's fighting a Nazi on top.the Nazi in the tank was looking through the...uh...looky see through glass thing.lol sorry i dont know what its called...well Indy' foot hits the looky see through glass thing and the nazi gets hit in the head and lands on Marcus....was it Marcus? oh well....does any one know what im talking about? :confused:

sorry about bad detail.

so what does the Nazi say? :whip:

Do you mean: 'Die Amerikaner, die kampfen wie Weiben' ?
It means: the Americans, they fight like women.
I think someone already translated it in this thread. :D .. but that's ok

Indy~Annie

Mrs_Fedora said:
Do you mean: 'Die Amerikaner, die kampfen wie Weiben' ?
It means: the Americans, they fight like women.
I think someone already translated it in this thread. :D .. but that's ok

thank you so much!!! my sister was really wanting to know that...of course me to but thats her fav nazi...she called him Nuzi.....lol

oh i didnt see that some one already asked...ooooops.:eek:

but thanks for telling me.(y) :hat: