John Byrne's Indiana Jones

harvey

Btw, here's the piece from the original question in this thread. Found it at Byrne's forum...but I have no idea where this originated. Anyone know? :confused:

2m5cyh5.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
harvey7297 said:
Btw, here's the piece from the original question in this thread. Found it at Byrne's forum...but I have no idea where this originated. Anyone know? :confused:

I had a post typed out, but it looks like we were down for about ten minutes, so here's the short form of what I wanted to say.

The image seems to be the one they refer to in the middle of the right-hand column on the second page of the interview that JuniorJones quotes there. It's, as the interviewer says, "the page they used to advertise the book." To quote John Bryne, it takes place immediately after Raiders, and depicts "Indie [sic] sitting behind his desk getting drunk because Marian's [sic] disappeared."

Now, I'm wowed by this image, for three primary reasons.

1) This must be the first rendering ever of Indy's office, with all the archaeological detritus scattered about that we've come to expect from every source that offers it to us, namely Last Crusade and the two graphic adventures.
2) It preserves, in the first bit of the extended universe, the image of Indy as somebody who turns to drink in times of trouble.
3) It predates by the better part of a decade the similar image of an Indy dwarfed by his office that we're given in one of the great shots of Last Crusade:

079.jpg

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Attila the Professor said:
I had a post typed out, but it looks like we were down for about ten minutes, so here's the short form of what I wanted to say.

The image seems to be the one they refer to in the middle of the right-hand column on the second page of the interview that JuniorJones quotes there. It's, as the interviewer says, "the page they used to advertise the book." To quote John Bryne, it takes place immediately after Raiders, and depicts "Indie [sic] sitting behind his desk getting drunk because Marian's [sic] disappeared."

Now, I'm wowed by this image, for three primary reasons.

1) This must be the first rendering ever of Indy's office, with all the archaeological detritus scattered about that we've come to expect from every source that offers it to us, namely Last Crusade and the two graphic adventures.
2) It preserves, in the first bit of the extended universe, the image of Indy as somebody who turns to drink in times of trouble.
3) It predates by the better part of a decade the similar image of an Indy dwarfed by his office that we're given in one of the great shots of Last Crusade:

079.jpg

...I'm suprised it too so long for some to notice the quote! That's why your a professor!!;)

Montana Smith

I hate it when that happens.

To quote John Bryne, it takes place immediately after Raiders, and depicts "Indie [sic] sitting behind his desk getting drunk because Marian's [sic] disappeared."

The untidiness and the drinking are character traits illustrating the way Indy comes to terms with his strange life. Like it's maybe not best to put everything into order, or always preserve mental sharpness, for that way lies madness.

It also illustrates my fondness for illustrations packed to the rafters with detail waiting to be discovered.

harvey

I definitely noticed the quote, but it's never stated WHERE that advertisement is located. :(

Atilla: You hit the nail on the head. That art speaks volumes. My first thought (even before reading that fantastic interview) was that it calls to mind Indy's conversation with Marion at the Raven:

Jones: Marion, I'm sorry.
Marion: Do you know what you did to me? To my life.
Jones: I can only say I'm sorry so many times.
Marion: Well say it again anyway!
Jones: I'm sorry.
Marion: Yeah, everybody's sorry. Abner was sorry for dragging me all over this earth, looking for his little bits of junk. I'm sorry to still be stuck in this dive. Everybody's sorry for something.

I got that he was wondering if collecting all of this stuff was worth it. Odd to find out that they were advertising an extended run of a comic book series with that pic! But it certainly would have been a better splash page than Miss Greebley and the cigarette. :whip:

Montana: Exactly right on the detail. Doom Town noticed the hat on the hook looks a lot like Belloq's. Considering it's near the jacket and whip, it might be Indy's, but I like to think that he found the ill-fated Frenchman's chapeau and kept it as a souvenir. :hat:

Still trying to find out the origin of this piece, though...hopefully to get a high-res scan and check that detail! Anyone...?

Oh, and feel free to stop by our new page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Further-Adventures-of-Indiana-Jones/161896070520325?v=wall

We've got some great content, awesome pics, news on issues 9 & 10 adapted for a radio drama...and some more cool surprises on the way! Keep the info coming...and we'll post it there as well. (y)

harvey7297 said:
Montana: Exactly right on the detail. Doom Town noticed the hat on the hook looks a lot like Belloq's. Considering it's near the jacket and whip, it might be Indy's, but I like to think that he found the ill-fated Frenchman's chapeau and kept it as a souvenir.
It's probably Indie's (that's a good one!), but I like the idea of Indy getting the best of Belloq for once, and though Belloq escaped he keeps a reminder of all he's lost to his competitor...(gear included).

Stoo

Amazing Find!

harvey7297 said:
Wow, Harvey, 2 years after the original post and you've now provided it here for all to see. Fantastic comic artwork! What a great image. Hats off to you!:hat:

I echo everything Attila said about this piece and equally what Montana wrote about perusing the details. (The sandwich with the missing bite is a nice touch!)

@Junior Jones: Thank you so much for posting the interview. A very interesting read but one comment puzzles me:
John Byrne said:
For some reason they changed the dating so it was several years later. In my version it took place immediately after RAIDERS...
I don't believe there are any specific dates mentioned in issues 1 & 2. The remainder of the series take place in 1936-37 so what was Byrne referring to when he said "several years later"?:confused:

harvey

Thanks Stoo. And good catch on the sandwich! I didn't even see it.

Nothing like a good bourbon and rye, eh? See what I did there? (y)

Now if I can just figure out what comic that was in...!

vf wing

Way to go Harvey, that's amazing! I mentioned in the original post that it had been on the back cover of a Conan book, but the scan seems to make it clear that it was on the last page instead, which makes more sense. Have no idea what title or issue number tho.

harvey

Hmmm...it would have to be mid to late '82, as the ad is showing that issue #2 would be in November (it actually came out in January '83).

The mystery deepens... :confused:

harvey

If you're thinking Conan, then perhaps it's in King Conan #12 or #13 (Sept, Nov 82). Does anyone have either of these to verify? :confused:

jfdklk.jpg

33z8mk9.jpg

The Drifter

Harvey, I have both of those issues, and I looked at them just now. Sadly, these are not the issues. Maybe it was in the original Conan run by Marvel instead of King Conan?

The Drifter

harvey7297 said:
Ah...looks like I read the Conan info incorrectly. I thought that title took over in the 80's. :eek:

Comic Vine is showing issues 130-141 were the entire 1982 run for Conan the Barbarian. Do you have any of those?

http://www.comicvine.com/conan-the-barbarian/49-2471/?page=7

http://www.comicvine.com/conan-the-barbarian/49-2471/?page=8

Sadly, I don't have them. I have been searching throughout every website I can find, but they only show the front cover for the issues. I wish that there was a site one could see inside them.
I am thinking it's Conan #137 for some reason, however. But, there was also the Savage Sword of Conan that ran through this time-frame as well.

harvey

Probably a good bet. It just seems like that would be a Marvel ad that would have run in every Marvel comic throughout the month. I checked every Spectacular Spider-Man I have around that time...to no avail.

But hey, this wouldn't be the world of Indiana Jones without a quest, right? (y)

Montana Smith

harvey7297 said:
But hey, this wouldn't be the world of Indiana Jones without a quest, right? (y)

That's proving the case right now.

I've been going through my comic collection, looking at some of the big titles from 1982, and with no luck.

The timing of adverts might also throw out our expectations of when this one appeared. I noticed adverts in September issues proclaiming things "coming this summer".

It could well be Savage Sword of Conan, as I didn't have any of those in the right timeframe to check through.

While I have several thousand hard copy comics, I have many more on discs. As long as the adverts haven't been edited out, I might have some luck.

Stoo

harvey7297 said:
Thanks Stoo. And good catch on the sandwich! I didn't even see it.

Nothing like a good bourbon and rye, eh? See what I did there? (y)
Ha ha! A rye bread sandwich.:) You're a funny guy. Another nice detail: The container/vase at the bottom left holding the scrolls is a hollowed out elephant's foot. It would be nice to see a higher-res image because I'm curious to see what is written on the hanging diplomas.
harvey7297 said:
But hey, this wouldn't be the world of Indiana Jones without a quest, right?(y)
:D Good luck on your quest, Harvey! One would think this ad would've been a bit more ubiquitous and not so rare. Unfortunately, I only collected a couple of titles in '82 and all my non-Indy comics are in storage far away so I can't be of any help (other than saying it's probably not in any "Star Wars" or "Avengers" issues because I don't recall ever seeing this before).

As cool as the illustration is, I find it a rather odd choice to use as a promotion...which is what makes it so brilliant! Thanks again for finding & sharing it.