TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Well, I don't really know what all the fuss was about.

It was pretty weak. Disney does Battle Royale.

Jennifer Lawrence was the best thing about it. She played a great part, but the story was too contrived, and I don't mean in the sense that it was a reality gameshow.

Contrived so she never had to compromise herself by killing in cold blood. Contrived that two should live.

I was hoping that the announcement that two from the same district could win would turn out to be an hallucination brought on by the Tracker Jacket stings. It almost seemed that way from Peeta's reaction at one point in the cave.

And where was the blood? Why the red Blu-ray case?

I almost want my £2 back. But there is that other disc to watch.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Well, I don't really know what all the fuss was about.

It was pretty weak. Disney does Battle Royale.

Jennifer Lawrence was the best thing about it. She played a great part, but the story was too contrived, and I don't mean in the sense that it was a reality gameshow.

Contrived so she never had to compromise herself by killing in cold blood. Contrived that two should live.

I was hoping that the announcement that two from the same district could win would turn out to be an hallucination brought on by the Tracker Jacket stings. It almost seemed that way from Peeta's reaction at one point in the cave.

And where was the blood? Why the red Blu-ray case?

I almost want my 2 back. But there is that other disc to watch.

I thought it was a very effective drama. The contrivances can be forgiven, since the characters are so sympathetic I actively wanted both to live anyway. Some really great acting, especially by Lawrence, Harrelson, and Bently. My only real gripe with it is the horrendously-edited fight scenes. Other than that, an excellent film.

Yet another film we disagree on, Monty. I'm sensing a trend here...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I thought it was a very effective drama. The contrivances can be forgiven, since the characters are so sympathetic I actively wanted both to live anyway. Some really great acting, especially by Lawrence, Harrelson, and Bently. My only real gripe with it is the horrendously-edited fight scenes. Other than that, an excellent film.

Yet another film we disagree on, Monty. I'm sensing a trend here...

I think the main problem with it was that the original story was aimed at a young audience. The violence that transfers more acceptably on the page couldn't be put on film. Therefore, the story loses impact.

I checked the list of cuts and digitally censored scenes and all the blood was present and correct. Blink and you’ll miss it. The theatrical version of this film would have been even harder to swallow. This must be what you refer to as "the horrendously-edited fight scenes".

Primarily I hadn't bought into the world that had descended back into an ancient Roman style civilization which could justify human bloodsport to the death.

Then the bloodsport itself didn't carry enough personal danger. Possibly because this story is one of a series and not a single tale in which a character could be forced out of their comfort zone. That was the main inherent weakness: Katniss is shielded from the horror of killing proactively. Instead, she reacts.

From the documentaries I'm understanding that the virtual reality nature of the arena was a movie construct. The 'hard light' animals had to be accepted in the manner of the 'false flames' on the costumes. It was another obstacle that made this world insubstantial. Then there were the crazy fashions and hairstyles...
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote