Indiana Jones And The Dagger of Coronado (FAN FILM)

HenryJunior

Thanks for the kind words guys this movie has been a very long time coming, and it doesn't help when you're a one man crew most of the time. It's weird how movies work, after about a year and and half since I started I only have about 5 minutes of edited film. Will the finished movie be worth all that time? Who knows. Keep in mind the vast majority of that time wasn't actually spent in full production either due to lack of resources or time. The actual time spent working probably only amounts to a few weeks max, but hey life tends to get in the way.

However long it takes, I don't tend to give up on film projects, this is going to get finished. I'm standing in the shadows of Eric Zala and Chris Strompolos who pulled off something far and away more ambitious than anything I've done. With that kinda of precedent already set, it motivates me to finish.

Stoo

Since you're doing this with Indy in his Boy Scout outfit, have you ever considered calling it, "Young Indiana Jones and the?"?

A title like that would be a first for fan-made films (I think) and would make it stand out from all the rest.

HenryJunior

I took a short mental break from this to work on some other projects. I have also been working a summer job, so the drive to do anything other than relax during my downtime also slowed things down, but never fear this is still coming.

Seeing new posts on this thread made me realize there still is some interest in this project which has injected some enthusiasm to make the final push to finish this beast so I may move on to other projects I would like to go after.

Last night (and a few weeks a ago) I finished some more FX shots that needed to be done. Leaving the boring stuff for last has a way of undermining motivation :dead:

I expect great strides to be made in the coming weeks, with a little effort this could wrap fairly soon.

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
I took a short mental break from this to work on some other projects. I have also been working a summer job, so the drive to do anything other than relax during my downtime also slowed things down, but never fear this is still coming.

Seeing new posts on this thread made me realize there still is some interest in this project which has injected some enthusiasm to make the final push to finish this beast so I may move on to other projects I would like to go after.

Last night (and a few weeks a ago) I finished some more FX shots that needed to be done. Leaving the boring stuff for last has a way of undermining motivation :dead:

I expect great strides to be made in the coming weeks, with a little effort this could wrap fairly soon.

h49AA3287

HenryJunior

Apologies Stoo, I never responded to your comment about the addition of "Young" to the title. This was something I considered a long time ago but eventually decided against.

To me "Young" would imply it somehow ties directly into the Television series, when it doesn't really. I never really liked the title "Young" anyways I think it was just put there to help differentiate it from the films. I appreciate your thoughts, it did briefly make me reconsider, but I've been committed to this title for over a year now.

A couple of Chronology notes for this Film:

There is a rather convenient gap for storytelling, as the Young Indy Series takes a break from from 1910-1916. The River Phoenix bit in Last Crusade takes place in 1912, which sets up the Hat and whip. I wanted that in the movie obviously, so it must take place between 1912-1916.

These gaps are mostly filled in by the Random House Licensed books which came out around the time of the TV series. How strongly you consider these canon isn't of a whole lot of consequence, but I wanted to be fair and looked further still for a logical timeline gap. The books do quite a bit of globe-trotting, but it just so happens that in May 1914 Indy is going to school in Utah (which consequently burns down).

So, quite coincidentally (and conveniently) Indy is in the right place for my movie, the American West of 1914! Indy movies don't disclose exact months and dates but, to be accurate let's say mid to late April 1914

Plus I think it's cool this will be released 100 years after it's supposed to take place

Film Updates:
I've spent the last week doing quite a lot of work editing, which has resulted in several chunks of the movie being finalized (music, sound mix, color, all finished). It's still a bit of a jumble but completed portions are taking shape which is exciting.

Even Better news is that this week I intend to film the missing portions. I reviewed the current cut to make a FINAL SHOT LIST that is required to finish the movie.

It's so darn close fellow Raveners!

390_zps499cc99b.jpg

HenryJunior

Filming Has Officially Wrapped!

I can't believe it, It felt like it would never happen. All scenes and extra shots have been finished! All that remains is the sound mix and a few minor tweaks.

This is it, I'm committing to a release date now:

July 22, 2014

Just less than a WEEK everyone!

Jeez now I gotta go make a poster...

kongisking

Am I gonna be the only one congratulating HenryJunior here? Come on, people!

Really happy you've finally got this done, man. Excited to see the proper work in its finished glory!

Last edited:

HenryJunior

It's here.

It's been a crazy journey, but it's done. Thank you so much for the continued interest and support. I hope every Indy fan and member of this forum gets a chance to see this, it's for you.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ShenBdj9L2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sheffsteve

Many, many congratulations on your short film, I was very impressed. I know how hard these things can be having attempted something similar, but not Indy related, a few years ago. Nice direction and look for the whole thing. I think you should be really proud of yourself. (y)

HenryJunior

Thank you very much for the encouragement Sheffsteve!

-Check it out and by all means let me know what you think, it's opening day on the Raven!

kongisking

This was fantastic! I really like some of the cinematic touches you have, some of which are clear Spielbergisms lifted from the films (usage of the silhouette especially). The look of it is gorgeous, with really nice lighting. Almost Slocombe-esque with how strong the colors are. And in the brief bit of dialogue, you do great at capturing a tiny bit of Indy's wit as well as his passion for history. You even have him grinning when he makes a discovery, one of my favorite traits of Indy in the movies proper.

The lady playing Sylvia does good too, though of course doesn't have much to do. I would have loved for there to somehow be a fight scene worked in (like Sylvia bringing along a muscle that you have to take down, and fail, and THEN she takes the dagger), but I know your time and budget were limited.

This is, at the end of the day, a really clever and fun little piece, and the love for Indiana Jones is palpable. Very nice work, HenryJunior. Proud of you, sir. :hat: :hat: :hat:

Olliana

Finally! Very good job, I enjoyed it! The cinematography was really good considering you were your own cameraman. Your portrayal of young Indy was also pretty accurate.

Sooo... are you going to do another one? :D

pastureized

Job well done! I agree with everyone: great use of the camera, nice little Indy nuances and a fun, tight story. I admit I wish it was a little more fleshed out and I missed hearing the Raiders March (I know how it is with copyright), but this was really professional for a fan film. I've done one before, but it didn't have this awesome level of planning and attention to detail. Also, sweet poster. Would love to see more! :D

HenryJunior

Great comments, everyone thanks!

Yeah, Youtube wasn't playing nice with any John Williams music, trust me I wanted the Raiders march so bad. I'm sorry it's not there :dead:. Overall though I'm happy with the music, because having original music helps distinguish the movie, and not feel like too much of a rehash.

As for a sequel, I'm not gonna say no, but there's no current plans for it. (I love that you guys like it so much you think it needs one though!) I would like to work on something more original and in the vein of Indy eventually, but again no current plans.

Also the thing is, there already kind of is a part two.

If you didn't catch on (it's not that hidden but no-one's mentioned it yet), The Diamond removed from the Dagger of Coronado is supposed to be the same one from the very beginning of Temple of Doom. You see, Indy wasn't chasing down some expensive gem, it's the missing part of an artifact.

Some of you might know there has been a flimsy connection made in the canon with the TOD Diamond and the Peacock's Eye from the Young Indy series, but I think connecting those two undermines the lesson Indy learned in that episode. Indy realized he didn't want to find things just for their material value, he wanted to benefit society, not steal from it. So to say that he just went after it anyway 20 years later seems like a lame story arc to me. :p

So instead I've laid out a more definitive origin to The Diamond from Temple of Doom that I think stays in Indy's character (and the Peacock's eye remains a mystery like it should).

"People pay for Diamonds Indy"..... Lao Che eventually did :D

There's certainly some story gaps that could be filled in a sequel, but I'm not deeming it a high priority right now. Thanks again everyone, comments and questions and are very welcome. :hat:

There's another small tie-in to the film series that's a bit more subtle, nothing crazy, but I'll be impressed if you know what it is.

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
Great comments, everyone thanks!

Yeah, Youtube wasn't playing nice with any John Williams music, trust me I wanted the Raiders march so bad. I'm sorry it's not there :dead:. Overall though I'm happy with the music, because having original music helps distinguish the movie, and not feel like too much of a rehash.

As for a sequel, I'm not gonna say no, but there's no current plans for it. (I love that you guys like it so much you think it needs one though!) I would like to work on something more original and in the vein of Indy eventually, but again no current plans.

Also the thing is, there already kind of is a part two.

If you didn't catch on (it's not that hidden but no-one's mentioned it yet), The Diamond removed from the Dagger of Coronado is supposed to be the same one from the very beginning of Temple of Doom. You see, Indy wasn't chasing down some expensive gem, it's the missing part of an artifact.

Some of you might know there has been a flimsy connection made in the canon with the TOD Diamond and the Peacock's Eye from the Young Indy series, but I think connecting those two undermines the lesson Indy learned in that episode. Indy realized he didn't want to find things just for their material value, he wanted to benefit society, not steal from it. So to say that he just went after it anyway 20 years later seems like a lame story arc to me. :p

So instead I've laid out a more definitive origin to The Diamond from Temple of Doom that I think stays in Indy's character (and the Peacock's eye remains a mystery like it should).

"People pay for Diamonds Indy"..... Lao Che eventually did :D

There's certainly some story gaps that could be filled in a sequel, but I'm not deeming it a high priority right now. Thanks again everyone, comments and questions and are very welcome. :hat:

There's another small tie-in to the film series that's a bit more subtle, nothing crazy, but I'll be impressed if you know what it is.

The only issue with your beef concerning the Peacock's Eye thing is that, if you remember...Indy's fallen pretty darned far off the idealism wagon by the time of Temple of Doom. Guy had pretty much turned into a straight-up mercenary fortune-seeker. I imagine the debacle with Marion really poisoned his personality, resulting in the more nasty guy he is in TOD...

So, if he's become such an unscrupulous character, why can't he be betraying every lesson he ever learned? The movie does end with him rediscovering his selfless side, anyhow...

HenryJunior

That's a good point I suppose, but in the end I still wanted to amend the story so that The Peacock's Eye stays exclusive to the Young Indy episode, and is representative of an turning point in Indy's life. (It's how I feel anyway)

So there's two possibilities at the beginning of TOD (even with the story that I laid out), Indy is looking for a pay day, or he's fixing something that was missing from a very early era in his adventures.