Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #51
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
And now I'm interested to know, what else you could accuse "a German" of...
Making damned good sausages and some pretty decent goulash! GUILTY.

What I find curious is Shia's pronunciation of the word "skull". To me, it sounds like he is saying "skuul" or, almost, "skool".
(Hard to write phoentically.) It's obviously a difference in accent but does this sound normal to any L.A. folks or could it
possibly be a trace of his mother's roots (Jewish from N.Y.)? I think he pronounces it like that in interviews, too, so it's
not part of his act.

Just wanted to remind people of this thread:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Russian Translation Thread

Last edited by Stoo : 10-28-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #52
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Why so formal? Did I sound offended in any way? Don't think so...

Anyway, confusing Ws and Vs isn't part of "the" German accent, it' just part of not being able to speak english properly (no offense). As there's no equivalent to the English W in the German language, "we" (as in "the Germans that know the words but not the pronounciation") would always use the V-sound (for Vs and Ws), since that's the only sound we have (German Vs are pronounced either like Ws or Fs, depending on the word). The same goes for a TH for example... we don't have such a sound, so it gets replaced with an S. Other examples a Rs and Ls, which sound different in German.

But there's Germans (like your grandparents) who know the words, and know the sounds, but don't know when to use which ("vile" / "while", "van" / "when", or whatever), at least not "on the fly" during speaking. This "group" probably covers most Germans, since they had English in school to learn the words, but don't get to use it that often to get the pronounciation right.

And now I'm interested to know, what else you could accuse "a German" of...
That was what I meant. I didn't mean German's do that when speaking their languange, but how some sound when they speak English.

And yes, you sounded very defensive with that post.

And for the German accusation thing, come on....you guys like Hasselhoff! That's almost worse than WWI and WWII.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #53
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
That was what I meant. I didn't mean German's do that when speaking their languange, but how some sound when they speak English.

And yes, you sounded very defensive with that post.

And for the German accusation thing, come on....you guys like Hasselhoff! That's almost worse than WWI and WWII.
Ah yes, Hassel the Hoff, we love him. He's pathetic and lacks any talent, but c'mon, "Knight Rider" was a hit ALL over the world.
Laserschwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #54
YDdItHv2BSnakes
IndyFan

area 51

Anybody know what they are saying when they get to the box? The part I'm talking about it immediately after indy rips open the shotgun shells and drops them on top of the boxes. Thanks!
YDdItHv2BSnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #55
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDdItHv2BSnakes
Anybody know what they are saying when they get to the box? The part I'm talking about it immediately after indy rips open the shotgun shells and drops them on top of the boxes. Thanks!

The answer can be found in post #38 of this great thread: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Russian Translation Thread

Here is the excerpt in question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Idol
Irina: "Naydite!" = "Find it!"

Dovchenko: "Vse komne! Zabadite mashinu, schivelitis, bistro!" = "Everyone come to me! Rev up the car, move, fast!"

When the soldiers are taking out the crate, they say "Taschite! Tak tochno! Davai, davai!" which means "Pull! Yes sir! Come on, come on!" When they lift the crate they say "Ras, dva, tri!" which means, predictably, "One, two, three!"
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote