The Oscars

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Through Oscar history, we've seen a few questionable nominations though, haven't we?

I'm not debating, just drawing a blank....to perpetuate conversation

Sometimes your rational side gets the better of you, Pale. ;)

6f00036a10f1059380b04ff321761460.gif

Forbidden Eye

Pale Horse said:
With Tom Hardy in the Revenant, Sly Stalone in Creed

as well as Ruffalo, Bale and Elba and Rylance? (in films I've yet to see)

Not a snowballs chance in Hell.

No change he'll win, but a nomination is definitely possible, especially considering Alec Guiness was nominated for Star Wars.

Not that an Oscar would really make any difference in Harrison Ford's career at this point, but it'd be a cool thing to happen.

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
I think Ford's work ethic after nearly dying twice, plus great reviews for Age of Adalaine, could win favor from fellow actors. Not to mention being one of the last male actors of any age who can put warm bodies in seats on a grand scale.

I had to break with tradition to say:

8dZZTx6.gif

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. It might even make the week's top ten list.

Pale Horse said:
I've seen none of the films this year. I'll weigh in later with my picks. Thoughts? Fellow Raven Hollywood Luddites?

2015 was a better year for movies. I've accidentally seen a fair amount of the Best Picture nods for a change.* In a just world Bridge of Spies would be relegated to the gutter and replaced with Inside Out, but we'll have to content ourselves with Best Animated Feature and I'll go out on a limb and say that it takes home the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

* - I really should be interested in Fury Road, but I've never had an interest in the Mad Max series. It remains unseen by me.

Quickly: It's an interesting collection of movies overall but predictable in the end. Over the past few weeks these are the ones that seemed to garner the most ink. A couple of weeks ago Fury Road would have been a surprising announcement, but not after all the minor and industry awards.

Personally, I would have liked to see del Toro and Emily Blunt nominated for their work in Sicario. Otherwise it seems like a fair list. For my money, Rylance was better in Wolf Hall. Part of me thinks that performance put him over the top for the Oscar nod.

Joe Brody said:
. . .that's equally applicable to diversity in the nominations.

Oh, look! It's the predictable annual lament about the exclusion of black people. Thank goodness for that white passing Mexican. Wait. No, they don't count.

The real exercise is what performance by an actor or actress of non-Northern European ancestry gave such a commanding performance that you'd objectively swap out one of the current nominations? I can't think of many in domestic releases; extend that further out to, well, foreign releases and it's easier. For example, I'd gladly de-list Fassbender's work in Steve Jobs for Choi Min-sik in The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale. The kid from Theeb was phenomenal as well.

Bold statement: Michael Pena in Ant-Man. I'd dump Stallane, Bale, or Ruffalo.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
That's the funniest thing I've read all day.
So hilarious you waited until after the nominations to laugh. Stallone is favored in the "overdue" category and DiCaprio will win for enduring the elements. Harrison was out-Harrisoned... this year.

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Comprehensive Pale Horse Breakdown, as of this weekend. 2015 indeed has been my best viewing year, to date. I credit a 2 hour commute for this.

Best Picture
The Big Short, (watching next week)
Bridge of Spies, (watching next week)
Brooklyn, (won't see it)
Mad Max: Fury Road, (saw it, most entertaining movie this year, but surprised it's here)
The Martian, (solid film, didn't move me)
The Revenant, (deeply affecting revenge flick, and about as complex. Take the elements out and it's a VanDamme film)
Room, (scared to watch, having a son)
Spotlight, (watching next week)

My pick today
Bridge of Spies will take it.

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, (probably won't see it)
Matt Damon, (felt like I was watching Damon..)
Leonardo DiCaprio, (less is more, but little to go on besides "will")
Michael Fassbender, (watching next week)
Eddie Redmayne, (probably won't see it, but if he wins I'm petitioning for a transgender category)

My pick today
Weak field, they give it to Leo, but I want to see Fassbender's take on Steve.

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, (won't see it)
Brie Larson, (see above)
Jennifer Lawrence, (watching next week)
Charlotte Rampling, (won't see it)
Saoirse Ronan, (won't see it)

My pick today
"The new 'if I want to bang Jlaw, I'd better give her an Oscar' category."

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, (see above)
Tom Hardy, (this dude added depth to Leo, we've all had a John Fitzgerald in our life)
Mark Ruffalo, (see above)
Mark Rylance, (see above)
Sylvester Stallone, (if Rocky Balboa aged, this is exactly how)

My pick today
Stallone, and not because of sentimentality. He KILLED it.

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, (she was fun, needed more of her, less of the other 7)
Rooney Mara, (probably won't see it, but she's up for a Razzy, so Bullock all over?)
Rachel McAdams, (watching next week)
Alicia Vikander, (probably won't see it)
Kate Winslet, (watching next week)

My pick today
Alicia Vikander, you cold hearted bi**h, leaving your man to die in his own creation. Oh, wait, you're this is for the other film you were in.

Best Directing
Adam McKay, (see above)
George Miller, Mad Max: (fourth times a charm)
Alejandro González Iñárritu, (gotta score the international votes)
Lenny Abrahamson, (see above)
Tom McCarthy, (see above)

My pick today
Iñárritu, so hot right now
os2seFw.gifv

Best Film Editing
The Big Short, (see above)
Mad Max: Fury Road, (every cut added to the story, even if we don't know what was lost)
The Revenant, (this could have been an equally compelling short story, but it would have lost it's tension)
Spotlight, (see above)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens, (muddy)

My pick today
Mad Max

Best Foreign Language Film
(I won't see any of these)
Colombia, Embrace of the Serpent
France, Mustang
Hungary, Son of Saul
Jordan, Theeb
Denmark, A War

My pick today
Theeb

Best Original Score
Thomas Newman, (see above, I personally love Newman's work)
Carter Burwell, (won't see this film, know nothing of this composer)
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight, (The best part of this film)
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario (I hardly remember the theme)
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (so tired of him, honestly)

My pick today
Ennio Morricone - and deservedly so.

Best Visual Effects
Ex Machina, (seamless, believed in the 'robot', not to mention the rest of the atmosphere)
Mad Max: Fury Road, (will win, because of scale)
The Martian, (awesome job, totally believed we were on Mars - Hyperreal)
The Revenant, (erased all speaking parts for Leo, quite the accomplishment. More amazing considering the natural light choice by Iñárritu)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens, (felt a tad forced and we lost some due to speed of editing)

My pick today
Mad Max

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short, (see above)
Brooklyn, (won't see this film)
Carol, (won't see this film)
The Martian, (solid, have a copy to read, well-paced)
Room, (See above)

My pick today
The Big Short, for its portrayal of the source material - Bold, I know, having not seen it yet. I reserve the right to change upon viewing, but probably
won't

Best Original Screenplay my favorite category of the night
Bridge of Spies, (see above)
Ex Machina, (underrated screenplay that told so much more that the film showed, taught, metaphorical, original)
Inside Out, (amazingly captured the pseudo-science of psychology for a child to understand)
Spotlight, (see above)
Straight Outta Compton, (adroit piece of screenwriting that awards the history to the victors yet still maintains its sense of purpose and struggle)

My pick today
Ex Machina, (nope, I won't tell you why I picked this one, today)

Best Animated Feature Film
Anomalisa, (won't see this film)
Boy and the World, (won't see this film)
Inside Out, (who's your friend who likes to play? kill him)
Shaun the Sheep Movie, (claymation is a dying art, especially when it's CGI)
When Marnie Was There, (won't see this film)

My pick today
Is there any reason why Pixar won't win?

Best Cinematography
Carol,(see above)
The Hateful Eight, (beautiful, but completely underused)
Mad Max: Fury Road, (the scope was what sold me)
The Revenant, (too much trees and snow)
Sicario, (created an amazing Sonoran pallet for the story to play on)

My pick today
Mad Max

Costume Design
Carol, (see above)
Cinderella, (the category exists solely for dress makers)
The Danish Girl, (see above)
Mad Max: Fury Road, (1/2 the cast was naked 1/2 the time)
The Revenant, (those bear skin's sure we cut to help natural movement)

My pick today
the 1800's win every time, Cindy

Best Documentary – Feature
Amy, (won't see this film)
Cartel Land, (won't see this film)
The Look of Silence, (won't see this film)
What Happened, Miss Simone?, (won't see this film)
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom, (won't see this film)

My pick today
Nostalgia for Nina Simone. I won't see these, only because they're not readily available and I hate YouTube for anything besides How-To help

Best Documentary – Short Subject
Body Team 12, (won't see this film)
Chau, Beyond the Lines, (won't see this film)
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah, (won't see this film)
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness, (won't see this film)
Last Day of Freedom, (won't see this film)

My pick today
total crap shoot: Girl in the River

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Mad Max: Fury Road, (make me look haggard)
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, (this movie came out in 2013?!)
The Revenant, (make me look cold)

My pick today
Where's the Men of U.N.C.L.E nomination...oh well, Desert wins again

Best Original Song
"Earned It," Fifty Shades of Grey, (the only redeeming part of this film)
"Manta Ray," Racing Extinction, (shades of Peter Gabriel's Down to Earth which was also nominated (and lost) )
"Simple Song #3," Youth, (fitting for the film, but a put-off to an audience that grew up on Biggie and Nirvana)
"'Til It Happens to You," The Haunting Ground, (Oscars 2015 - If our visuals won't beat you up, our songs will)
"Writings on the Wall," Spectre, (internet angry that this song is A) a Bond song & B) nominated. Pretentious whining)

My pick today
Earned It, for the reasons I just postulated and so some suit and tie can say 50 Shades is an Oscar winner...

Best Animated Short Film
Bear Story, (won't see this film)
Prologue, (won't see this film)
Sanjay's Super Team, (won't see this film)
We Can't Live Without Cosmos, (won't see this film)
World of Tomorrow, (won't see this film)

My pick today
Space or Bollywood...hmm Bollywood. There's more money there.

Best Live Action Short Film
Ave Maria, (won't see this film)
Day One, (won't see this film)
Everything Will Be Okay, (won't see this film)
Shok, (won't see this film)
Stutterer, (won't see this film)

My pick today
total crap shoot: Day one

Best Sound Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road, (so much overlay)
The Martian, (yep, sounds like mars, whatever that is)
The Revenant, (fun fact, a bear sounds like aluminum cans pulled through an irrigation pipe filled with Jell-O)
Sicario, (go ahead, finish your dinner...that silence was AMAZING)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens, (retread)

My pick today
Sicario

Best Sound Mixing
Bridge of Spies, (see above)
Mad Max: Fury Road, (how can we blend a flaming guitar with the roar of a sand storm?)
The Martian, (Matt cursed too much for a scientist, can we fix it in post?)
The Revenant, (I want to hear the desolation, so put it all together)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens, (did someone say Tie-Fighter?)

My pick today
Star Wars: TFA

After I see Spies, Spotlight, Short and Joy I might revise this.

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
So hilarious you waited until after the nominations to laugh. Stallone is favored in the "overdue" category and DiCaprio will win for enduring the elements. Harrison was out-Harrisoned... this year.

The timing is, of course, completely coincidental. Winter recess and all.

Pale Horse said:

A turgid legal drama without the bravura performance of a Daniel Day-Lewis? B-level Spielberg won't win it. For my money, the race comes down to The Revenant or Mad Max. Outside shot to The Big Short.

Joe Brody

Le Saboteur said:
The real exercise is what performance by an actor or actress of non-Northern European ancestry gave such a commanding performance that you'd objectively swap out one of the current nominations?

When Spike Lee says that its easier today for a black person to become President of the United States than head of a Hollywood studio or network, he's making a larger point. Movies reflective of our nation's diversity are not being made. Period. Full stop. Therefore, there simply are no roles for an actor or actress of non-European ancestry to attempt to meet your standards for a commanding performance.

Spend a minute reviewing all the films released in 2015 and you'll see what I mean. Christ, how is that over-the-hill talent like Pierce Brosnan, Keanu Reeves, Ethan Hawke, Jack Black are still getting top billing in films? Why is it that old crusties are being cast in films like Walk in the Woods? Why are there so many sequels and reboots out there. For example, last year we saw another Terminator, another Mission Impossible (oh but wait, I thing Ving Rhymes got like 3 lines), another Transporter, another Vacation, another Paul Blart, another Pitch Perfect, an Entourage film (at least a character two has a tan and there's a gay/asian character) -- and a Man From Uncle film. It's a sick industry and the lack of diversity in film is sickening -- I can't even list all the films with no attempt at diversity. Heck, even a film called 'The D Train' looks all European. How can that happen? This is what George Clooney means when he says we are moving in the wrong direction. We were better in the 1990's.

Surely a lot of fault lies with the people that bankroll films -- and from the look at how out of touch the film industry is, it's a safe assumption that the same people that funded Jeb Bush's Super Pac (Right to Rise) also fund a lot of films. Folks, we can't get a Michael Bloomberg fast enough.

Selma (a 2014 release that had some talent snubs IMO) opens with Dr. King getting dressed prior to accepting his Nobel Peace prize. He reflects that maybe its wrong for him to be getting dressed up when the struggle is still going on at home. That's why the Oscar boycott is the right thing to do. It's wrong to get dressed up, celebrate, and act like there's nothing wrong. Rampling is a tool.

Le Saboteur said:
Bold statement: Michael Pena in Ant-Man. I'd dump Stallane, Bale, or Ruffalo.

Pena's the Stanley Tucci du jour. No one from Hope or Tangerine? Heck, I'd even give a best supporting nomination to Édgar Ramírez in Point Break because he made all the antics sound plausible and he packed the charisma.

roundshort

Joe. I disagree. I think that Sam L Jackson is in plenty of movies. Who else do you need?

There is a reason why Trump is still in the race and gaining support. The sad thing is the acceptance of racism is growing in the US is ugly and real. It seems we are learning lessons from France, Italy, and the Nordic countries. Non of them are decent models.

As long as white people his behind white priv.... Nevermind.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Here's a more poignant question. Where are the wealthy financers who have the capital, resources and connections putting there efforts?

Oprah shouldered Selma, Tyler Perry funds Madea . What projects does Spike Lee fund? Where is the Pinkett-Smith Hollywood Machine? Shorty is right that we're regressing under Trump propaganda, but I think a point can be addressed that there is no SuperPac funding diversity. Why? It's not as though the money isn't there. Sam Jackson just lost highest paid actor this year.

When Evangelical Christians felt Hollywood wasn't making movies to cater to Biblical values, they pooled their money and made their own production companies like Affirm Films. (War Room). I anticipate soon (based on their profitability right now ) they will have an Oscar worthy body of work.

No, and I say with great sadness, it's easier to cry foul play when someone else's money is on the line. If you want real change there has to be sacrifice. I find this latest crisis of diversity is really just more of the same lack of action on both sides.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
The Comprehensive Pale Horse Breakdown, as of this weekend. 2015 indeed has been my best viewing year, to date. I credit a 2 hour commute for this.

Too Comprehensive for A.D.D. Joe Brody, and I move to disqualify your selections on the basis that it sounds like you are watching contenders on a small screen -- which compromises your analysis.

Pale Horse said:
Best PictureMy pick today

I'll go with Revenant. Spies is classic Spielberg White Bread -- not bad but when you think back on it there wasn't much there and no real desire to watch it again.

Pale Horse said:
Best ActorMy pick today
Weak field, they give it to Leo, but I want to see Fassbender's take on Steve.

Totally agree but have yet to see Jobs.

Pale Horse said:
Best ActressMy pick today
"The new 'if I want to bang Jlaw, I'd better give her an Oscar' category."

Totally disagree (though your hopefully humorous logic is noted). Watched Joy over the Holiday and it ruined the season for me. Painful, painful film. That said, I don't have any strong feelings in this category.

Pale Horse said:
Best Supporting Actor
My pick today
Stallone, and not because of sentimentality. He KILLED it.

Bah Humbug. The only way Stallone wins if the Academy feels sorry for the years he was robbed by not getting any recognition for all those great performances in the Expendables films. Hardy wins here. Big.

Pale Horse said:
Best DirectingMy pick today
Iñárritu, so hot right now

Agreed. Though it's criminal and a major abuse of directorial discretion what he passes off as the Dakotas -- an unparalleled Deer Hunter mountain escalation.

Pale Horse said:
Best Film Editing
My pick today
Mad Max

Agreed.

Pale Horse said:
Best Original Screenplay my favorite category of the night
My pick today
Ex Machina, (nope, I won't tell you why I picked this one, today)

Undeservedly Inside Out. Corporate Development writing should not be rewarded but it will be.

Pale Horse said:
Best Cinematography
My pick today
Mad Max

Why not.

Pale Horse said:
Costume Design
Mad Max: Fury Road, (1/2 the cast was naked 1/2 the time)

You prude.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
After I see Spies, Spotlight, Short and Joy I might revise this.

The Big Short is Really Good. I can associate a little with Bale/Burry, only I'm not that rich. Or respected. Or...nevermind.

That being said, I'm sticking to me picks.

Read THIS HOLLYWOOD EXECUTIVE'S breakdown of the categories as well. It how Hollyweird thinks.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
I wish our other insiders would weigh in.

I feel you poking me with that stick (but insider is hardly the word I would use)

Don't have much time to type at the moment but I will say
I think Charlie Kaufman's "Anomalisa" will beat "Inside Out" for best animated feature... why?
Because it's Charlie ****in' Kaufman and the Academy loves Charlie Kaufman.
(ie Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
I feel you poking me with that stick (but insider is hardly the word I would use)

Poke...poke...poke.

Indeed I appreciate your perspective, but there are a couple more here vested in Hollyweird, too.

Don't have much time to type at the moment but I will say
I think Charlie Kaufman's "Anomalisa" will beat "Inside Out" for best animated feature... why?
Because it's Charlie ****in' Kaufman and the Academy loves Charlie Kaufman.
(ie Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich)

Charlie ****in' Kaufman...Sounds like you're gearing up for him to be the Cameo Role in Zombieland 2, as Bill ****in' Murray was in Zombieland (the original)

I wouldn't mind.

But back to the topic at hand: Here's a SECOND TAKE on how the industry thinks. It's great to compare the two.

Mine still sets the bar, though. Right? Right?

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
I wish our other insiders would weigh in.

Ouch. I guess I won't that too personal.

My Hardy pick is looking wrong though and my Revent Best Pic is suspect.

(you know I was joking about the 'prude' line, right?)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Insert the obligatory Carly Simon reference here. For comedic effect of course.

A) I was poking Gonzo, but not only.
B) I think Brody is the most well read film critiques on the forum who posts regularly, as he brings in other literary sources to substantiate his work.
C) Le Sab I'm directly calling you out.
D) Attila, old friend? Wherefore art thou?
F) Finn...F in Finn.
G) Stoo...he's got better things to do
H) Roundshort? He and I will be live tweeting our reactions over a bottle of screaming eagle.
I) Moedred...(just making sure I mention the boss)

J) I like being a prude.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen very little of 2015, plowing through 2014. I should abstain from voting for films I haven't seen, but rooting for Mad Max and The Martian and their directors, 70 and 78. And Spielberg, though I'm mostly hoping for a red carpet Indy 5 update however vague.

The broadcast was a big deal in the 90's when February was a dumping ground for bad movies, you couldn't watch trailers online and might glimpse a good one you missed and could rent. With Billy Crystal, it was the super bowl of jokes. It all seems so inconsequential now, and forgettable Monday morning. I shouldn't complain on the west coast when it ends around 9pm. My perennial suggestion to fix the show is to ditch the host.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Pale Horse said:

Best Picture nope

Best Actor YEP!

Best Actress nope

Best Supporting Actor nope

Best Supporting Actress nope

Best Directing YEP!

Best Film Editing YEP!

Best Foreign Language Film nope

Best Original Score YEP!

Best Visual Effects nope

Best Adapted Screenplay YEP!

Best Original Screenplay nope