Hitler's Armageddon Machine

Gear

Did anyone else watch about this on History Chanel's program "Cities of the Underworld"?

For those who didn't they were in Prauge investigating secret relics from the Nazi ocupation. Their last stop was a deep quary 20 miles from Prauge called "Amerika" were, legend or truth has it, Hilter had a crue of scientists build a device which, if the Nazis lost the war, would destroy the Earth in a dramatic climax.

The device had enough Uranium stored in it to create a nuclear explosion and if the machine was activated it would drill to the center of the Earth and detinate. Scientists believe that the Earths core is made with high amounts of Uranium and that Hitlers dooms day weapon would have at the VERY LEAST vaporized half the planet... at the very least.

Obviously, his creation never got a chance to unleash its destruction but it is believed that it still exsists. However, the Amerika quary is colapsing and is demmed too dangerous to explore for the WMD.

Fascinating...

Snakes

Thats insane! I knew of Hitler's crazy doomsday ideas, but this takes the cake. There are quide a few unrealized nazi sci fi inventions: jet packs, death rays, you name it. Makes for great fiction because it was almost reality!

No Ticket

I've never heard of that before. Can you provide a link, a video or something... I'd like to read more about that.

fixer79

Darn, we don't have the History Channel out here...
Is it connected to National Geographic Channel? Maybe they'll air it there then!

Anyway, Gear, it sounds mighty interesting!
Sometimes reality really surpasses fiction...
Thanks for the info :)

whipcracker666

I did see the preview but didn't actually get to watch the episode. Although the more I hear about it the more it sounds like the plot of that Kubrick film "Dr. Strangelove" , except in the movie it was Soviet Russia that had the doomsday device not Nazi Germany. And it took place during the cold war, much later than WWII. other than that it sounds like the same scenario.
now that I think of it thats probably where they got the idea for the movie.

Gear

The Hitler years are fascinating. Its amazing what he did in his position of power. He sent expeditions looking for artifacts such as Excalibur, Star Gate, the Holy Grail, Atlantis, the Lost Ark, signs of a hollow Earth and its said that the Third Reich had contact with aliens who, they believed, were the Aryan Race of whom they were descendants of.

And of coarse all of this makes for great block busters. (y)

whipcracker666 said:
I did see the preview but didn't actually get to watch the episode. Although the more I hear about it the more it sounds like the plot of that Kubrick film "Dr. Strangelove" , except in the movie it was Soviet Russia that had the doomsday device not Nazi Germany. And it took place during the cold war, much later than WWII. other than that it sounds like the same scenario.
now that I think of it thats probably where they got the idea for the movie.

The movie's based on a book called Red Alert. And Red Alert and Fail Safe were both very similar, both had movie adaptations in 1964... and a lawsuit came about because of the supposed plagiarism of Fail Safe upon Red Alert...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_(novel)

The Man

ResidentAlien said:
The movie's based on a book called Red Alert. And Red Alert and Fail Safe were both very similar, both had movie adaptations in 1964... and a lawsuit came about because of the supposed plagiarism of Fail Safe upon Red Alert...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_(novel)

Wasn't there a black-and-white TV remake of Fail Safe with Harvey Keitel awhile back? I haven't seen either of them.

The Man said:
Wasn't there a black-and-white TV remake of Fail Safe with Harvey Keitel awhile back? I haven't seen either of them.

I know there was a remake... dunno who was in it and I'm too lazy to look right now.

I've only seen pieces of the original.

fixer79

gear guardian said:
He sent expeditions looking for artifacts such as Excalibur, Star Gate, the Holy Grail, Atlantis, the Lost Ark, signs of a hollow Earth and its said that the Third Reich had contact with aliens who, they believed, were the Aryan Race of whom they were descendants of.

Star Gate? :confused:
I doubt that the film was based on any existing legend or myth...
Or was it?

Gear

fixer79 said:
Star Gate? :confused:
I doubt that the film was based on any existing legend or myth...
Or was it?

As far as I know its a true mythological machine, however, I've tried looking for information on it with the web before and its hard as Hell to do so; all you can find are sites about the TV show (which sucks BTW... in my opinion of coarse) and video games. Right now I don't have a whole lotta time on my hands though. ... so what am I doing on the Raven???? :eek: !

AlStewart

I've done a little digging on the Nazi's technology developments, and I have to say, while it is fascinating, it also scares the hell out of me that they were
a) so deluded over certain ideas
b) so close to completing so many powerful weapons

Although I've not heard of the Amerika quarry, it sounds a little like The Bell (http://www.americanantigravity.com/einstein.shtml), but that was in Poland, and there's a lot of uncertainty over what it was.

whipem

AlStewart said:
I've done a little digging on the Nazi's technology developments, and I have to say, while it is fascinating, it also scares the hell out of me that they were
a) so deluded over certain ideas
b) so close to completing so many powerful weapons

Although I've not heard of the Amerika quarry, it sounds a little like The Bell (http://www.americanantigravity.com/einstein.shtml), but that was in Poland, and there's a lot of uncertainty over what it was.

That's some interesting stuff, I read some of the pdf discussing the Nazi implementation of Einstein's work. I remember watching a special on this, but it was probably just the last fifteen minutes or so before the X-Files came on. Still, it's a part of WWII history that isn't that well known, probably because a lot of it is speculative.

AlStewart

I think you nailed it when you said it was speculative.

There seems to have been a lot of weird stuff going on which just got even more confused in the chaos at the end of the war, which makes corroborating any of it even harder. Which is a pity because it is fascinating stuff!

Certainly some of it disappeared into black programmes all over the world, but I'd say most of what conspiracy theorists think was / is going on is bunk.

No Ticket

I heard, from somewhere but I cannot remember where, that Hitler (The Nazis) performed weird experiments on prisoners. Like injecting ink into their eyes to see if they could change the eye color.

... :sick:

That's in addition to the insane weapons they were developing. I'm pretty sure they had created a jet or almost created a jet around the time of the end of the war, but by then it had no real use.

AlStewart

Yeah, they conducted all kinds of medical experiments from the 'sane' i.e. ones with a basis in fact, to the 'insane' - ones to investigate their racial theories. They used concentration camp prisoners as well as their own people. It's led to some barneys today, where some doctors refuse to use data or cures solely based on those experiments.

As for technology, it seems to have been a fair mix of 'very good' to 'you what?' They had the first operational jet fighter / bomber in the Me262 and a whole host of others just coming operational or on the drawing board.

But some of them also tried to conduct experiments which used infra red sensors to detect ships way beyond visual range - because they believed we live on the inside of the earth, not the outside, and so the ships would be detectable 'above' them...

I suppose in any group of people you'll have a mix of smart and dumb, but really, some of the ideas that got supported stretch credence to the limit.

It's at the really pushing it end of the spectrum that you get quests for things like the Ark, and where the excellent material for telling Indy stories lies. :D