Old Indy The Mummy's Curse

CharronThanas

Hello and Happy easter!

Here is the prologue of the german book The Mummy's Curse

Please make any corrections you like, since this is not my mothertongue...and teh german original is not that well written...the translation sounds even more awkward :eek:

enjoy:D

Prologue

1992, New York - Metropolitan Museum of Art,
Egyptian Department
The gigantic statue of a seated pharaoh ruled the hall. Thanks to the sophisticated lighting it looked like, the ancient Egyptian king would rise any moment. With serene expression, he seemed to observe the comings and goings of visitors of the Museums. He had long since become accustomed to the curious stares, to the amazement and the indifference of the people who strolled by daily.
Nothing could disturb him in his thousand-year sleep. Not even the hurried steps of the pupils that echoed off the walls of the now large room. About thirty children aged between nine and ten years gathered now giggling and whispering in front of the statue.
A young teacher came forward and thru a cautionary clance over the group of children.
"This is a king of ancient Egypt. Be aware and stay together, right? I do not want to lose someone when we continue on an don?t jostles ! «
The children came to rest, looking up at the stone monument. In the back row of the group two young grinned to each other. One had black hair and was obviously Mexican, the other boy was blonde and a white man.
"In ancient Egypt the king was called pharaoh," said the teacher. "Have you heard the word before? Try to say it, all together: The Pha-ra-o. "

"Pha-ra-o," repeated the class in unison.
The two boys in the back row made faces. The Mexicans made a nod with his head to the exit. They nodded to each other in conspiracy and left walking backwards step by step from their group.
The teacher did not notice anything and continued with her lecture.
"Very well. And now take a look at the head of the pharaoh. Can you see all of the crowns he wears? "
Some of the children nodded eagerly and pressed closer.
"If you look exactly you will see that it is actually two crowns ... «
The two young had now reached the Exit. Well, when they were out of sight, they turned and fled with hasty steps.
The voice of the teacher echoed after them until they could no longer hear it.
"There is the crown of Upper Egypt and the crown of Lower Egypt. This means that he was the ruler of the whole country ... "
Now they reached the next aisle. Large showcases were lined on both sides. Numerous items from the heyday of Egyptian culture were exhibited here. But the two escapees were not interested, they had other plans. They were in a hurry, because now they began to run.
When they tried to turn another corner, suddenly a walking stick jumped out behind one of the glass cases, and they could not avoid it.
The Mexican cried out before he landed on all fours. His to death scared friend did involuntarily join him on the floor. From the frog perspective, they observed a pair of feet in pretty worn shoes and damaged trousers appear behind the showcase. .
The walking stick, that brought the two boys down was successively pushed rudely between their shoulder blades.
"Why are you not with your class?" Said a rough, angry voice.
Anxiously the boys looked up and saw a creepy old man, he had pretty shabby cotton trousers and an old jacket on. On his head he wore a greasy brown hat, which seemed to be at least as old as its owner. On his nose sparkled rimless glasses.
But only one lens really met its purpose, for the right eye of the old man was covered with a black cover. Apparently the stranger had lost it. On which occasion, the two young were not interested at all in the moment.
Although the man was very old, he moved with surprising swiftness, he seemed a little odd, and was obviously a grumpy old man.
His face was furrowed by deep lines and wrinkles, but the one eye beneath the bushy eyebrow, looked alert and full of life.
The Mexican boy tried to answer, but his voice failed him. He had to clear his throat once.

"This place here, man is boring. Highly tedious, .. "
"Boring?" The old man asked sharply.
"Sure", replied now the blond boy "Just debris and old rubbish."
The old man fell into a rage. "Debris and rubble?
That's outrageous! In this museum are treasures through which I experienced the most amazing adventures. "
When he realized that he was not threatened by the stranger, the blonde rose and shrugged. "Maybe you like it here, Grandpa. We certainly find it all totally boring. "
Even the Mexicans was on his feet again and the two turned around and wanted to disappear quickly.
"Stop" The old man's voice hit them like a whip.
The boys froze, watching vigilantly the cane. In no way they wanted to make their acquaintance with it a second time. The stranger flashed angrily at them.
"How old are you anyway?"
"Ten," the Mexicans replied like a bullet.
"Nine," the other boy replied immediately.
"Do you guys live in this town?" The stranger asked. They nodded eagerly, and the old man came a step towards them. "I come from the other side of the river. "
"And if so," said the black-haired boy again and made preparations to move on.
"Stand still, otherwise I'll hit you with my cane, "thundered the old man's voice.
The Mexicans immediately raised his hands defensively.
"It's all right, man .. We are very calm. "
The old man nodded and waved the two with his gnarled hands to his side. "Then come
over here. Maybe you learn something else. "
The boys hesitated. Then they made a few steps to him and waited. A break appeared. The old man frowned.
"What have I just said?" he asked.
"Huh?" Made of white kid.
The old man made a reluctant wave with his hand.
"You've heard me. What I wanted to say?right now? "
The two did not know what he meant. The old boy really did not seem quite right in the head
"It was something about ..." began the Mexican boy.
The stranger straightened up, and suddenly it was as if he had shaken off the heavy burden of his age. His one eye gleamed.
"I know. But come over there where we can sit down. Then I will tell you everything. "
With long strides he headed for a bank. It stood between two display cases in which miniatures were issued by various Egyptian deities. From a window in the neighborhood a sunbeam fell directly to the bank and dipped it into a wonderful warm light.
The boys sat down eagerly, and the old man moved a bit to the side, so they had all space to sit next to each other.
"I was actually born on the other side of the river, he said, "over in New Jersey .. On the first of July eighteenhundred and ninety-nine. I know for you it sound like eternity. But you know what? To me it seems like as fast as a eyes twinkle ... "

It didn?t take long and the two young boys hung on to his lips not wanting to miss a single word.
"I grew up in Princeton, where my father, Henry Jones Sr., was Professor of Medevil History. My mother, Mrs. Anna Jones, was a beautiful woman who loved and honored my farther for everything he was. And what about me, I have to admit that I was not much different than you two ... "The old man smiled slyly at the two boys. "I was at school with not too much in mind. I would much rather play baseball with my friends or reading thick adventurer books. Most of all, however, I run around with my dog, who had the same name as me ... Indiana. Only I was called by my friends mostly ? lndy?
Indiana, my dog, then had a fairly dangerous life, because he had to test everything my friends and I had built. One time it was a hot air balloon, with which Indiana took a test flight, than he participated in the maiden voyage of a sailing-driven rail vehicle. The drive ended, however, fairly abruptly when we had to jump, because we were in the way of the scheduled express train which then rolled over our vehicle... "
The boy shivered involuntarily. What would this Indiana probably tell them next?
"As dangerous as it may sound, so it was really a wonderful time," said Indiana Joncs,

and his eyes looked wistfully at the memory. "And then, when I was nine years old, something happened that no one of us would have expected. My father was invited to visit various universities around the world. He had at that time, although he was only thirty-five, a whole series of books written, and he should do presentations. Of course he accepted the invitation, and my mother and I accompanied him. Two years should take these travels.
So we packed our stuff, locked our house in Princeton and climbed in the New York harbor a large ocean liner. I see us still standing up on the deck as the ship sailed tooting and passed the Statue of Liberty. Our route led across the Atlantic to Liverpool in England.
There the first station of our journey was called Oxford. A really nice little town with an old, historical University, where my father had prepared a surprise for me... "

CharronThanas

and the ....

Epilogue

1992, New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art,
Egyptian Department
The old man looked dreamily at the light beam, which had moved during his narrative speech. Someone had just said something.
"What," asked the old man, who still felt and thought as the boy in the Valley of the Kings, which he had once been.
"Has he caught the murderer?" The unfamiliar voice of the boy next to him repeated the question.
Indiana Jones shook his head to get rid of the images of his and looked to his right. It was the blonde boy who had asked the question.
"When he came to Port Said, the steamer had just filed. And Demetrius with him. "
The Mexican jumped up, the story had grabbed him.
"Then the murderer has escaped, right?"
Old Indy shook his head, that his gray hair that had slipped out under the hat fell into his forehead. Suddenly, he looked as if he were younger by many years.
"Well ... not quite. He has been caught. "
"And what were you doing?" The Mexican wanted to know more.
"I? I went back to Cairo with Miss Seymour. There, I met my parents, and we continue our journey. "
The two boys were deeply disappointed. They were hoping for more exciting adventures. But it seemed nothing more to come.

"Is that all?" Said the blond boy.
Indiana Jones shook his head and stamped with his walking stick. "Of course not!"
"What happened with the Jackal?" Inquired the Mexican.
"Jackal? Which Jackal, "asked the old Indy. "The one with the eyes of fire! Has it sometime
reappeared? "The Mexican looked excited.
"Oh, yeah. This headdress with eyes of fire. Well, that's a completely different story. "
He rose abruptly and turned to go. The boys exchanged a quick glance. This went not as they hoped! He would not get rid of them so easily.
They followed him. "Mister! Hey, Mister ... "they called in chorus.
"What's wrong?" Indiana Jones stopped and turned around.
The boys caught up with him.
"We would like to know what happened next!"
The old professor looked at the two tots, shaking his head. "What you don?t say. I thought those old stories bore you. "
The Mexicans waved. »Granted Mister. We did not mean it. But the way our teacher told us anything, it's just too boring.
Indiana Jones nodded. "I can understand that, but not everyone can experience such times. But ok, I will tell you, how it went, but not today. "
The faces of the two boys were long in disappointment.
The blonde cleared his throat. "But we're only, here today, tomorrow we are sitting back class reading boring books. "
Indy smiled slyly, "Nothing holds you back to come here on your own. You know where the Museum is now and surely you will find this abbey again. "
The Mexican pushed his blond friend, and he nodded enthusiastically.
"Well, we come. But when? "
Old Indy seemed to be thinking.
"Hard to say. I do not know when I come back since I do have other things to do than sit around in museums.
I suggest you take a look time and time again ... "
"Yes, but where and when?" Said the blond boy.
"Where we have been sitting. And whenever the sun shines through the window precisely on this bench. Likewise, the Egyptians have measured the time, with the help of the sun. And now you should hurry. Surely your teacher is already looking for you ... "
The two boys had so many questions, but the old man did not soften. So they said goodbye with a wave and walked down the aisle between the showcases.
"And remember!? the old man called after them whenl they disappeared around the corner. "What were the three major hieroglyphics?"
The boys did not have to think long because they had not forgotten. They said together. "Ankh, wedja seneb!"
Good, very good! "Indiana Jones called. "You're really not so stupid after all!"

And his laughter followed them until they heard the voice of their teacher in the next room and a choir of their classmates who repeated a name which the two escapees knew already
"Tut-ankh-Amen! «
The little Mexican and his blond friend looked at each other and grinned ...