Inconsistencies and Ridiculous Moments in the Indy-Verse

Raiders90

Ok.

Since this is in the spoiler section, I think I can talk freely. Now I've seen alot of people complain about the YIJC (and how it's ridiculous and contradicts Indy). I've heard the same complains about the possible appearence of Aliens and Crystal Skulls in Indy IV and how a version of the Ancient Aliens idea would ''retcon'' the previous Indy films. But let's have a look at the previous films, and their ''retcons''
It seems that the world in which Indy lives is not a very consistant one. Examples:

-In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jewish mythology (in the form of the Ark of the Covenant) is the MacGuffin, if you will, of the movie. Now, the Jewish (and Christian) belief system clearly and firmly states that there is but one God.
-What happens in the very next (but chronologically first) movie? We get the Hindu mythology, which is vastly different from the Judeo-Christian faith in it's beliefs, in the form of the Sankara Stones and the very explicit mentions of Kali and Shiva, and their ''power'' is also expressed quite clearly (has to be some sort of magic at work in order to rip a person's heart out of his chest and still have him manage to live) That is a big contradiction, and using fan terms it "retcons" Raiders in a way (by showing the Hindu Patheon, which means that the Judeo-Christian God is not the only God, which contradicts Jewish and Christian beliefs and the general ideas of those two religions)
-Last Crusade doesn't really retcon the previous films (you might argue it contradicts the first film in that the Ark of the Covenant is a primarily Hebrew object, since it's from the Old Testament and since the Jewish people don't accept the New Testament, the idea of the Holy Grail, an object from Christian mythology, contradicts it) but it does include some ridiculous moments and introduces some inconsistencies:

1) Indy gets his scar, his fear of snakes, his hat, his usage of the whip, his later outfit, and his later treasure-hunter identity (basically everything that separates Indiana Jones from Henry Jones, Jr.) all within the space of about thirty minutes or so. Pretty hokey, if you ask me. But supposedly not as hokey as him meeting famous people before or when they were famous.

2) The character of Indy (who is primarily motivated, in previous movies, by mercenary motives or ''fortune and glory'') changes radically. His beliefs change from "It Belongs in a Museum" (1912-1920), to "Fortune and Glory, Kid" (1935), back to "It belongs in a Museum". However the belief that it belongs in a museum is only introduced in LC.

This is a minor one, but in Raiders, when Marcus cautions Indy that the Ark is like ''nothing (he's) ever gone after before", Indy says he sounds like his mother. In that context, it would indicate his mother is alive and that she has expressed her reservation or concern about him going off on his treasure hunter adventures. However, LC and the YIJC introduce and confirm the fact that Indy's mother died in 1912, long before Indy would ever go off on a quest for a mythical or archeological artifact.

Also other events that would not occur in real life:

--Indy's truck stunt
--A man getting his heart ripped out and still living
--the Ark of the Covenant melting people's faces off
--A 700 year old Grail Knight still living
--Water from a Cup healing a gunshot wound to the chest.

Unless, of course, you had faith. Which is what the idea of the Crystal Skulls and Aliens also requires. Every object Indy searches or encounters in the films or encounters is mythical with no real basis and generally supported by faith. Aliens, meeting famous people, and Crystal Skulls are not different.

The point of this post is to point out there is definately a need in all of the Indy films to be open minded, and to have a little faith. These are not films based on truth or real archaeological fact. The Ark, the Sankara Stones, and the Grail are myths to some, truth to others and so are their supposed powers (like Aliens and the alleged powers that the Crystal Skulls possess)

The Indy universe is always evolving, and changes with every addition to the series. It is not constant. IMO, there is no ''cannon' excpet that which Lucas, Harry, and Spielberg give us. To say that what is not seen in the main series of the films is not canon is silly. Does that mean Indy never goes to the bathroom? We (thankfully) don't see that in the films, so I guess that means it never happens.

Indy's character is a realistic one in that he changes over time. Perhaps that is part of the reason we're here talking about him, because he is a realistic, complex character in the midst of unrealistic, dangerous situations.

The idea of one object or element based in popular legend being that different from other elements which are legendary in nature or ''ruining'' one's childhood or the Indy series is kind of contradictory given the general tone and concept of the films.

Last edited:

Niteshade007

Raiders112390 said:
--Indy's truck stunt

You just pointed out some of my least favorite things about the trilogy (with the exception of the truck stunt and the Ark part), and then used them as an argument for aliens being acceptable in KOTCS. I would add to that list the fact that Indy watches someone fall to their death reaching for the grail, then immediately afterwards tries to grab it himself...

You bring up some good points, many of which bother me about the trilogy (the train scene in LC and the apparent inconsistancy between TOD Indy and Raiders' Indy.), but I'm not sure that they work as tools make people "ok" with aliens. If people are like me, these scenes bother them, and they would want KOTCS to not have such scenes in its film.

Raiders90

Niteshade007 said:
You just pointed out some of my least favorite things about the trilogy (with the exception of the truck stunt and the Ark part), and then used them as an argument for aliens being acceptable in KOTCS. I would add to that list the fact that Indy watches someone fall to their death reaching for the grail, then immediately afterwards tries to grab it himself...

You bring up some good points, many of which bother me about the trilogy (the train scene in LC and the apparent inconsistancy between TOD Indy and Raiders' Indy.), but I'm not sure that they work as tools make people "ok" with aliens. If people are like me, these scenes bother them, and they would want KOTCS to not have such scenes in its film.

My point is to show that this won't be the first time an Indy film has something legendary in it and that Indy films have retconned themselves and that while a lot of these scenes are awesome, they are pretty unbelievable and unrealistic in real life. Spielberg and Lucas are pros, they know how to take something that sounds lame on paper and turn it into a classic, enduring movie scene.

oki9Sedo

Its clear in Raiders that Indy doesn't speak a word of German. He's able to work out the gist of what they're saying by the context, but he doesn't understand the actual words.

In the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and Last Crusade, however, he does.

Darth Vile

The thing that people tend to forget is that the movies are based around the premise of escapist fun. Very little in the movies is reality based (apart from the fact it's set on Earth). Who wants to see an Indy movie where he doesn't do amazing/incredible things like jump onto moving tanks from a horse, jump out of a crashing plane etc? This is what it's all about... I don't want the next movie to be "Indiana Jones and the Discovery of a Shard of Samian Ware in a Ditch Near Hadrian's Wall"... I want it to be about Crystal Skull's, Nazi's, fortune and glory etc.

The Man

Previously unseen casting session...

ilia1.jpg

Star Trek hottie as Mrs. Miriam Jones.

Mike00spy

Raiders112390 said:
Ok.

Since this is in the spoiler section, I think I can talk freely. Now I've seen alot of people complain about the YIJC (and how it's ridiculous and contradicts Indy). I've heard the same complains about the possible appearence of Aliens and Crystal Skulls in Indy IV and how a version of the Ancient Aliens idea would ''retcon'' the previous Indy films. But let's have a look at the previous films, and their ''retcons''
It seems that the world in which Indy lives is not a very consistant one. Examples:

-In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jewish mythology (in the form of the Ark of the Covenant) is the MacGuffin, if you will, of the movie. Now, the Jewish (and Christian) belief system clearly and firmly states that there is but one God.
-What happens in the very next (but chronologically first) movie? We get the Hindu mythology, which is vastly different from the Judeo-Christian faith in it's beliefs, in the form of the Sankara Stones and the very explicit mentions of Kali and Shiva, and their ''power'' is also expressed quite clearly (has to be some sort of magic at work in order to rip a person's heart out of his chest and still have him manage to live) That is a big contradiction, and using fan terms it "retcons" Raiders in a way (by showing the Hindu Patheon, which means that the Judeo-Christian God is not the only God, which contradicts Jewish and Christian beliefs and the general ideas of those two religions)
-Last Crusade doesn't really retcon the previous films (you might argue it contradicts the first film in that the Ark of the Covenant is a primarily Hebrew object, since it's from the Old Testament and since the Jewish people don't accept the New Testament, the idea of the Holy Grail, an object from Christian mythology, contradicts it) but it does include some ridiculous moments and introduces some inconsistencies:

The character of Indy (who is primarily motivated, in previous movies, by mercenary motives or ''fortune and glory'') changes radically. His beliefs change from "It Belongs in a Museum" (1912-1920), to "Fortune and Glory, Kid" (1935), back to "It belongs in a Museum". However the belief that it belongs in a museum is only introduced in LC.

Also other events that would not occur in real life:

Every object Indy searches or encounters in the films or encounters is mythical with no real basis and generally supported by faith. Aliens, meeting famous people, and Crystal Skulls are not different.

These are not films based on truth or real archaeological fact. The Ark, the Sankara Stones, and the Grail are myths to some, truth to others and so are their supposed powers (like Aliens and the alleged powers that the Crystal Skulls possess)

The Indy universe is always evolving, and changes with every addition to the series. It is not constant.

The idea of one object or element based in popular legend being that different from other elements which are legendary in nature or ''ruining'' one's childhood or the Indy series is kind of contradictory given the general tone and concept of the films.

I took out some things above to focus on what your main idea is here. It is a very valid and sensible point. There really is no such thing as continuity here and to make these films "connected" like they were real life is rather silly.

I know fans like continuity, for it makes the movies, the characters, seem more real to them. In reality, we have to always remember that they are movies. So, you can really be bothered by continuity errors, or you can see them for what they are. Its something only obessive fans only think about.

(Sidebar: If you think Indy has continuity problems, don't ever get into a discussion on James Bond films-- try and read grown adults try to reason out a timeline for those films . . .)

Now, the other point the original poster also had. If you really want to take these films literally, then like he/she pointed out:

Indy gave credibilty to the Jewish faith.
Indy gave credibility to the Hindu faith.
Indy gave credibilty to the Christain faith.

Not all 3 faiths can co-exist, but there you have it. Each movie has its own flavor. It is not meant to re-write the history of the world. If Indy 4 gives credibility to aliens, then so be it. However, it does NOT go against the other Indy films at all, for each one already exists on its own terms to begin with.

bergstrom

When I watch Last Crusade, I just jump to harrison Ford's first scene. That whole prologue/flashback in the beginning was a waste of film.

berg

DaveTheHutt

Really? I enjoyed LC's opening scenes with young Indy and way it deftly sketches out of his cold relationship with his father - it adds emotional depth to what happens later. I also love along the "May he who illuminated this, illuminate me" line - nicely written - and the transition to 'modern' Indy.

Unfortunately, I feel the film then dies a bit in the exposition moments, the dull Venice shenanigans and the horrible "We're here to see the tapestries" 'comedy', only picking up again when Connery makes his entrance.

Still, each to their own, eh?

scifiwolf

I dunno. It shouldn't be the Indy 4 forums at all.

Anyway, I would have to disagree with the gripes about continuity. The whole point in this series even existing is in the incontinuities and the flaws. In the tradition of the serials upon which it is based, there is nothing really substantial to connect the films. It's just the same guy (Indy), doing the same basic thing(he looks for old stuff and fights bad guys). Sometimes a familiar face pops up, but there is no need to know that character beyond that they're good/bad. This is about as pointless as trying to link together all the Abbot and Costello movies.

ethanedwards

I just re-watched Raiders and picked up on something that I never noticed.

The truck scene - Which I thought was the best thing ever when I was young - And it still holds up today - Is shot a bit weird.

It goes from complete desert - to jungle - to open desert - to shear cliff - to hitting people off truck cause you are now in a jungle - to desert... (that is not a play by play, but you get the idea)

And you know what - it doesn't matter. Great scene. Probably one of the all time best!! And led the way to even more outrageous action stunts. Bravo!

Just thought I'd share.
:D

Its worse in the train scene in Last Crusade, open desert to wooded mountains to desert again with flat horizon in all directions, weird that

Skipper

Re:

From a Christian standpoint, there's no contradiction between Raiders and the Last Crusade, since Christians also believe in the Old Testament.