Ahnenerbe

aJakeinthePlane

I wanted to know more about the Archaeological Dept. of the Nazi party (S.S. Ahnenerbe) so I did some research and found a great book on the subject. The title is THE MASTER PLAN by Heather Pringle, 2004. according to other sources that Ive found its the best resource on the subject, not to mention a fascinating read. if you don't have the patience to read the entire book heres the Wikipedia page on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahnenerbe

Gobi-1

Interesting stuff. I've been leaning towards a Nordic relic for Indy 5 and it's fascinating how the Nazis had a warped view of the Nordic race with Nordic Theory.

I can easily see a plot for Indy 5 being built around the remnants of the Ahnenerbe who are searching for a lost Nordic relic in an attempt to reestablish Nazi power.

Or it could be that the Nazis failed to find this relic but the Russian are now looking for it.

aJakeinthePlane

It all just goes to show how great Information can be so detrimental in the wrong hands. It seems that not to many people have paid attention to the idea of an Indo-European root culture that Asian and European culture might be traced to, for which there's a great deal of linguistic evidence, because of its association with some Nordic Aryan superiority that the Nazis painted it with. Also all of the Nazi research that could be of great help regarding the subject was destroyed when the Ahnenerbe offices were incinerated.

Insomniac

Gobi-1 said:
Interesting stuff. I've been leaning towards a Nordic relic for Indy 5 and it's fascinating how the Nazis had a warped view of the Nordic race with Nordic Theory.

I can easily see a plot for Indy 5 being built around the remnants of the Ahnenerbe who are searching for a lost Nordic relic in an attempt to reestablish Nazi power.

Or it could be that the Nazis failed to find this relic but the Russian are now looking for it.
I love this idea but no Vikingesqe or cheesy related relics like the hammer O' Thor or the ax of Lief Erickson, something meaningful to the people.

Back to the subject I think they should do an OSS/MI6 mission concerning Ahnenerbe maybe in Africa too for Indy V. Only in World War II!!!

aJakeinthePlane

Im pretty sure the Nazis in Raiders and LC were intended to be S.S. Ahnenerbe. It was really the only division of the S.S. that did that sort of thing.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
aJakeinthePlane said:
It all just goes to show how great Information can be so detrimental in the wrong hands. It seems that not to many people have paid attention to the idea of an Indo-European root culture that Asian and European culture might be traced to, for which there's a great deal of linguistic evidence, because of its association with some Nordic Aryan superiority that the Nazis painted it with. Also all of the Nazi research that could be of great help regarding the subject was destroyed when the Ahnenerbe offices were incinerated.

I'm not sure if the destruction of so called scientific research that is based on the most un-scientific stupidity imaginable is really a loss.

aJakeinthePlane

the problem with what the Nazis were doing is that they were gathering research to prove a ethnocentric conclusion that they had already decided was the case. That doesn't change the fact that research was collected and and artifacts found that could have been of use to the archaeological world. We could have even used it to even disprove their racially motivated premise. The gathering of historical evidence is a good thing regardless of the idiot who found it.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
We could have even used it to even disprove their racially motivated premise.
Their ideology was so full of obvious bull**** and absurd logic that it doesn't take those potentially existent things to "disprove" it.

However, if there were actual artifacts of interest incinerated, then this is of course a loss (of whatever quality). Their perverse "conclusions" or the results of the "research" they did on human beings won't be missed by anybody, I'm quite sure about that.

I'm the first one acknowledging the occasional fallibility of today's scientific market and the quality of the research emerging from it but basically I trust its functionality.
I don't really know what you mean by "an Indo-European root culture that Asian and European culture might be traced to". And I'm not sure wether or not this is a "concept" (I'm not sure, yet, what concept that is exactly) that has been neglected.
Also...what is "AN INDO-EUROPEAN ROOT CULTURE"?

aJakeinthePlane

If I gave the impression that I am in any way pro-Nazi I apologize because I most certainly am not. I found the Wikipedia page on Indo-European linguistic theory for you. If I have started an argument that was not my intent. When reading the page it is important to realize that the use of the word Aryan is not the context in which the Nazis applied it. It refers to the word Arya meaning noble in Sanskrit. the word began to be used in a racial context in Germany after the first world war when bitter German scholars began to tie this theory with the Tacitus writing Germania and his false description of the physical appearance of Germans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages

The Magic Rat

torao said:
I'm not sure if the destruction of so called scientific research that is based on the most un-scientific stupidity imaginable is really a loss.

Uh, THIS. I don't think anymore is necessary.