The Man

First official on-set image...

untitled-5.jpg

agentsands77

This project is so mysterious, I find it hard to get amped about it. All the little glimpses we've seen (the concept art, on-set photos) have been truly underwhelming. It's all hype at this point, and not hype based on substance, but hype based on faith in James Cameron.

That said, I'm certainly interested. Cameron knows how to do spectacle.

Katarn07

agentsands77 said:
This project is so mysterious, I find it hard to get amped about it. All the little glimpses we've seen (the concept art, on-set photos) have been truly underwhelming. It's all hype at this point, and not hype based on substance, but hype based on faith in James Cameron.

That said, I'm certainly interested. Cameron knows how to do spectacle.

Count me in the opposite camp. If this were say... Christopher Nolan, then yes, I'd be pumped beyond words. But it's not. It's the Titanic guy whose been absent from Hollywood since Titanic came out.

I'm anticipating M. Night Shyamalan's Avatar (or whatever they'll end up calling it) much more than this, and there aren't even images or any vague statements out about it.

The Man

Another trillion dollars in the bank then, Jim...

Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (Fox L&M) has selected Mattel, Inc., the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys and family products, to develop a toy line inspired by one of the most anticipated films of the year -- James Cameron?s ?Avatar.?

Mattel?s ?Avatar? toy line will feature heroes, creatures and vehicles straight from the blockbuster film. Each action figure or vehicle will come with a 3D web tag, bringing a new level of interactivity to Mattel?s newest action play line. Utilizing a computer?s webcam, consumers can ?scan? the web tag, unlocking special content unique to the product, like bio information on action figures and creatures, virtually on a home computer.

"Avatar is one of the biggest and most anticipated films of 2009", said Dekel. "The new universe created in the film is everything one would expect coming from the mind of James Cameron, one of the most accomplished creators and filmmakers of our time. In bringing this fantastic new universe to life in toys, it was essential that we partner with the world's biggest and best, Mattel. Mattel's abilities to continually innovate and strategically grow a toy brand over many years will be core to our long-term strategies."

The Man

If You Want Something Done...

The good people at MarketSaw not only claim that there are plenty of trailers already cut together for Avatar, but none of them passed Cameron's quality test. Cameron has therefore come to the conclusion that the only way to be happy is to cut together a preview himself.

If this is the case, it means we likely will have an Avatar teaser coming shortly.

The Man

The Man said:

Rumoursquish Patrol...

As to the trailer story, I have no idea where that came from but I haven't rejected any trailers (yet) since I haven't seen any yet. They're still working on them for presentation, which presumably will be soon. I'm sure I'll reject a couple once I have the chance. Right now I'm just focused on having a movie to sell.

The cut is shaping up nicely and the stuff coming in from Weta Digital is astonishing. Every once in a while, as we are absorbed in some intensely detailed discussion about sub-surface scattering or the way a tail is moving in the animation, I'll just stop and have this moment of clarity, as if seeing it for the first time. And I realize that's what the lunar astronauts must have felt like. They'd be in the middle of some complex set of procedures and they'd look out the window and go "Oh, yeah. That's the frickin' moon!" It feels like that.

Kingsley

I can't imagine what they are trynig to do, at the end it's just a movie.

But Cameron's reputation, and the fact we are getting something pretty original, and not a overmilked franchise, are inspiring stuff.

The Man

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ACo1R_B6iHg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ACo1R_B6iHg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>​

The Man

"You believe you're on Pandora..."

Have you seen it in 3D?

Sam: Yeah. You see the playback in 3D. 3D for Jim is like digital for Danny Boyle. That?s just the format Jim likes. He believes it brings the audience more into the screen. It?s not ooga-booga, it?s literally you?re looking around sh!t. And with it being photorealistic it actually pings in a lot better. Your brain starts to buy it.

Did you have that kind of immersive experience while watching it?

Sam: Yeah from what I?ve seen in 3D, yeah. It looks like we shot it in Hawaii, it?s that f*cking real.