Artifacts that Indy could find in Indy 5

kongisking

Young Indy said:
What about the head of Medusa as a MacGuffin? Perseus used the head has weapon. Anyone who gazes into it turns to stone. That is very powerful! Plus her hair is made of snakes! That works very well for Indiana Jones who hates them!

You know what...

That is, like, the BEST idea I have heard so far!

Everything you said would work absolutely perfect for an Indiana Jones adventure. Imagine: the Soviets want the head to turn the whole American population into statues! And like you said the hair made of snakes would make it very difficult for Indy to handle the prize. Think of it: a MacGuffin Indy can't look at or touch, like the Ark and the Crystal Skull (both were covered up or contained in something half the time, increasing the mystery)! I love your thinking, man. And I would absolutely crap myself silly to see Indy tackling Greek Mythology for once on screen, which has TONS of possibilities! Damn, dude, you've got me in a Indy 5-crazy madness, right now!

emtiem

I'd like to see him trying to stop a bunch of guys from bringing the Devil back: proper super-scary stuff.

Benraianajones

Been said a lot in the past, but I'd have liked to see Indy try and stop the Nazi's finding Atlantis and using using it's powers, especially since the Nazi's really did become somewhat interested in Atlantis and consider themselves to possibly emerge from there with the place being so "superior".

Still, I do know if a fate of atantis movie was made i'd have been let down cause I've dreamed of the idea for so long, and Sophia would have to be cast as a flame haired unknown actress for me - (because it ruins it for me when well-knowns are in movies sometimes).

otto rahn

If they hadn't already used it in the latest "Mummy" movie the Terracotta Army and the tomb of the first emporer of China would have been good. What about the Tomb of Genghis Khan ? Or perhaps something Aztec (The Jade Fire Snake ?), complete with bloodthirsty neo aztec cultists and rival archaeologists competing with Indy for the prize !

otto rahn

If it hasn't been mentioned already what about some surviving texts from the Libarary of Alexandria ? (Yeah I know Dirk Pitt did that one already, but whose to say that Indy didn't find another cache, twenty or thirty years earlier ?)

Stoo

emtiem said:
I'd like to see him trying to stop a bunch of guys from bringing the Devil back: proper super-scary stuff.
Something similar was cooked up back in '84/'85:
Indiana Jones III - The Cave of Death

otto rahn said:
If they hadn't already used it in the latest "Mummy" movie the Terracotta Army and the tomb of the first emporer of China would have been good. What about the Tomb of Genghis Khan ?
All of these are good ideas and, interestingly enough, some of them have been used in "exapanded universe" material.
"Emperor's Tomb" video game has the 1st Chinese emperor's tomb
"Gold of Genghis Khan" Find-Your-Fate book.
"Genghis Khan's Sword" German novel.

In any case, I agree. Something Oriental for Indy 5 is probably the right direction to take.

Indy Croft

China is not the only Asian country, it can be Indian, Korean (never Japanese Korea's totally different) Thai, Cambodian, or even Middle Eastern. Isreili might be good too.

emtiem

Far East would be good; we need a snowy Indy :)

A group of us were throwing around some ideas on another forum; one that got settled on was that of the Tower of Babel- the tower built for speaking to God. One legend that's quite interesting comes from the Midrash and Josephus accounts: that is the idea that the Tower was built as an affront against God - indeed, to make war with him. Perhaps its original makers fashioned a device with knowledge beyond our own, a device so insidious and dark that it was destroyed? Something along those lines. There's a lot of possibilities.
One device which jumps out is a bow which Nimrod is said to have used to fire arrows at God: that's a pretty big and scary idea- that the baddies want to kill God using this ancient weapon. You can imagine all sorts of proper spooky stuff going on there at the top of the Tower.

Johnny Jones

emtiem said:
One device which jumps out is a bow which Nimrod is said to have used to fire arrows at God: that's a pretty big and scary idea- that the baddies want to kill God using this ancient weapon. You can imagine all sorts of proper spooky stuff going on there at the top of the Tower.
Wait, where'd you hear about that? Is it in the Bible?:confused:
Could make a neat story, but I imagine the "new Indy haters" would complain that it stretches disbelief too far. Not that that would stop the beards, as well it shouldn't.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
emtiem said:
Far East would be good; we need a snowy Indy :)

A group of us were throwing around some ideas on another forum; one that got settled on was that of the Tower of Babel- the tower built for speaking to God. One legend that's quite interesting comes from the Midrash and Josephus accounts: that is the idea that the Tower was built as an affront against God - indeed, to make war with him. Perhaps its original makers fashioned a device with knowledge beyond our own, a device so insidious and dark that it was destroyed? Something along those lines. There's a lot of possibilities.

As much as I love this idea, I sadly have to inform you that it was in the "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" videogame from 1999. Taking advantage of the machine that talks to heaven. In the case of the videogame, it was a machine, which had parts scattered across the globe, each part with a special power. All parts put together create a machine which transports you to a dimension known as the 'Aetherium', where the Babylonian god, Marduk resides. It has some pretty heavy alien take on the game. If you didn't like Crystal Skull chances are you probably wouldn't like the game.

Atlantis... alas also taken in the highly popular game and comic books "Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis."

emtiem

Violet Indy said:
As much as I love this idea, I sadly have to inform you that it was in the "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" videogame from 1999. Taking advantage of the machine that talks to heaven. In the case of the videogame, it was a machine, which had parts scattered across the globe, each part with a special power. All parts put together create a machine which transports you to a dimension known as the 'Aetherium', where the Babylonian god, Marduk resides. It has some pretty heavy alien take on the game. If you didn't like Crystal Skull chances are you probably wouldn't like the game.

That's pretty different, to be fair.

caats

your Macguffin ideas for Indy V

I was curious at what's people's ideas for macguffins for indy5 are? i imagine Lucas will continue to go his alien route, but whatever. my thought would be maybe Cain's weapon to kill Abel? that'd tie back to religious stuff.