Foreign language dialogue

Kooshmeister said:
A German-speaking friend of mine says he's basically saying he'll rip Indiana to pieces. "You will come to pieces by me!" or something like that.

Actually that's not correct at all... nothing with ripping anybody to pieces. He says "Du wirst nochmal hören von mir!", which means "You will hear from me again!" (although it's not the best choice of German words to fit the situation here).

Anyway, some more details from Crusade:

Before Indy shoots the soldiers when saving his father they shout "Vorsicht!" and "Scheiße!", of course meaning "Look out!" and "sh*t!"

When Donovan gets into the car to leave Castle Brunwald, an officer hands him the telegram, and says "Was Wichtiges, mein Herr!" - "Something important, Sir!" and the second one going "Aus Berlin, mein Herr!" - "From Berlin, Sir!". Donovan them commands the driver "Losfahren." - "Drive."

The moment before Indy and Henry crash out of the box on the motorcycle, Vogel commands his troops "Sie! Alle! Komm! Schnell!" - "You! All! Come! Quick!" (it sounds as stupid in German as it does in English ;) ). Adding another "Schnell!" - "Quick!" afterwards. As they drive away, he shouts "Los! In Wagen!" - "Go! In car!" Ignoring both the article "the" (in this case the German "den"), and the fact that it's actually motorcycles.

In Berlin, when Indy get's pushed towards Hitler by the crowd, I can make out a "Los zurück!" - "Back up!" by someone.

The guys handing out the Wanted-flyers at the airport:
"Hier, die werden gesucht. Seht euch das an. Bitte." - "Here, these are wanted. Have a look at it. Here you go."

An announcment at the airport (first done by a woman, then by a man... whyever): "Der Jungfernflug aus Danzig, Königsberg und Frankfurt an der Oder, hat voraussichtlich 2 Stunden Verspätung." - "The maiden flight from Danzig, Königsberg and Frankfurt At The Oder is estimated to arrive 2 hours behind schedule."

When Vogel runs towards the Zeppelin, I don't get the first part, but the second part is "Wir steigen ein!" - "We're getting in!"

Vogel on the Zeppelin: "Haben sie diesen Mann gesehen?" - "Have you seen this man?" And the white-bearded guy going "Nein, ich hab ihn nicht gesehen." - "No, I haven't seen him." (exciting, I know ;-) )

Indy asking the woman for her ticket: "Fahrschein, meine Dame... bitte." - "Ticket, Ma'am... please." And to Vogel "Fahrschein, mein Herr." - "Ticket, Sir." And Vogel replying "Weg." - "Go." (in the sense of "leave").

Vogel commanding the jeep to be blown off of the tanks cannon: "Dem Kubelwagen springen!" which is actually nonsense meaning "Jump the jeep!" (plus a grammar-hickup). The German dub corrected it as "Den Kübelwagen absprengen!" - "Blow off the jeep!" Afterwards he goes "Wo ist Jooooones?!?" - "Where is Jooooones?!?"

Then Henry checks the window, and the soldier commands him "Hinsetzen! Keine Bewegung!" - "Sit down! Don't move!"

As Indy gets onto the tank to take out Vogel, he get's beaten down by a soldier from the truck next to the jeep, Vogel going "Komm, schlag ihn tot." - "Come, beat him to death."

The guy at the periscope in the tank says "Die Amerikaner... die kämpfen wie Weiber." to be exact, meaning "The Americans... they fight like broads."

Vogel on top of the tank, as Indy is hanging on the cannon: "Ganz gegen die Mauer!" - "All the way against the wall!"

OK, enough for now. I don't think there's much left anyway.

Last edited:

michael

Laserschwert said:
Actually that's not correct at all... nothing with ripping anybody to pieces. He says "Du wirst nochmal hören von mir!", which means "You will hear from me again!" (although it's not the best choice of German words to fit the situation here).

Anyway, some more details from Crusade:

Before Indy shoots the soldiers when saving his father they shout "Vorsicht!" and "Scheiße!", of course meaning "Look out!" and "****!"

When Donovan gets into the car to leave Castle Brunwald, an officer hands him the telegram, and says "Was Wichtiges, mein Herr!" - "Something important, Sir!" and the second on going "Aus Berlin, mein Herr!" - "From Berlin, Sir!". Donovan them commands the driver "Losfahren." - "Drive."

The moment before Indy and Henry crash out of the box on the motorcycle, Vogel commands his troops "Sie! Alle! Komm! Schnell!" - "You! All! Come! Quick!" (it sounds as stupid in German as it does in English ;) ). Adding another "Schnell!" - "Quick!" afterwards. As they drive away, he shouts "Los! In Wagen!" - "Go! In car!" Ignoring both the article "the" (in this case the German "den"), and the fact that it's actually motorcycles.

In Berlin, when Indy get's pushed towards Hitler by the crowd, I can make out a "Los zurück!" - "Back up!" by someone.

The guys handing out the Wanted-flyers at the airport:
"Hier, die werden gesucht. Seht euch das an. Bitte." - "Here, these are wanted. Have a look at it. Here you go."

An announcment at the airport (first done by a woman, then by a man... whyever): "Der Jungfernflug aus Danzig, Königsberg und Frankfurt an der Oder, hat voraussichtlich 2 Stunden Verspätung." - "The maiden flight from Danzig, Königsberg and Frankfurt At The Oder is estimated to arrive 2 hours behind schedule."

When Vogel runs towards the Zeppelin, I don't get the first part, but the second part is "Wir steigen ein!" - "We're getting in!"

Vogel going around the Zeppelin: "Haben sie diesen Mann gesehen?" - "Have you seen this man?" And the white-bearded guy going "Nein, ich hab ihn nicht gesehen." - "No, I haven't seen him." (exciting, I know ;-) )

Indy asking the woman for her ticket: "Fahrschein, meine Dame... bitte." - "Ticket, Ma'am... please." And to Vogel "Fahrschein, mein Herr." - "Ticket, Sir." And Vogel replying "Weg." - "Go." (in the sense of "leave").

Vogel commanding the jeep to be blown off of the tanks cannon: "Dem Kubelwagen springen!" which is actually nonsense meaning "Jump the jeep!". The German dub corrected it as "Den Kübelwagen absprengen!" - "Blow off the jeep!" Afterwards he goes "Wo ist Jooooones?!?" - "Where is Jooooones?!?"

The Henry checks the window, and the soldier commands him to "Hinsetzen! Keine Bewegung!" - "Sit down! Don't move!"

As Indy reaches the tank to take out Vogel, he get's beat down by a soldier from the truck next to the jeep, Vogel going "Komm, schlag ihn tot." - "Come, beat him to death."

The guy at the periscope in the tank says "Die Amerikaner... die kämpfen wie Weiber." to be exact. "The Americans... they fight like broads."

Vogel on top of the tank, as Indy is hanging on the cannon: "... gegen die Mauer!" (I don't get the first word... might be the name of the tank-driver) - "..., against the wall!"

OK, enough for now. I don't think there's much left anyway.
Great post!

Kooshmeister

Laserschwert said:
As they drive away, he shouts "Los! In Wagen!" - "Go! In car!" Ignoring both the article "the" (in this case the German "den"), and the fact that it's actually motorcycles.

The motorcycle soldiers were guys different from the ones he tells to go in the car. So, for all we know, Vogel's guys did jump into a car and chase after them.

In my mind, this delayed pursuit was halted by the motorcycle pileup at the border and this is why they don't catch up when Indiana and his father stop at the fork.

What I wanna know is how and why Elsa is the one who tells Donovan in Hatay that "Indiana Jones and his father have escaped." Did getting thrown out of the zeppelin damage Vogel's brain and make him forget that he knew of their escape long before Elsa did?

Or had he already told Donovan and neither of them said anything when Elsa told them, just to make her feel useful? "Oh, uh, yes, Dr. Schneider, thank you for informing us. We had no idea."

Kooshmeister

Here's one for you German speakers. When Donovan yells for the Kubelwagon and two trucks to after the tank, what does he say then?

Kooshmeister said:
Here's one for you German speakers. When Donovan yells for the Kubelwagon and two trucks to after the tank, what does he say then?

A little late, but I have a few minutes right now ;)

After Sallah's brother-in-law's car gets blown up, and Donovan and the gang get out of their vehicles, you hear someone shout "Los, los! Den Hof absichern!" and "Na los, wo ist das Geräusch hergekommen?" meaning "Go, go! Secure the yard!" and "Come on, where did that sound come from?" Actually I'm neither sure which "yard" nor which "sound" they are talking about.

When the Germans start throwing the stick-grenades, one of them shouts "Feuer frei!", the German equivalent to "Open fire!"

Before the tank starts shooting at Indy on the horse, Vogel commands "Dem Jones nach!" and "Feuer!" - "Follow that Jones!", "Fire!"

In the scene you've asked for (Donovan commanding the trucks to follow the tank) I THINK it is: "Da lang! Und Angriff von der Rechten!", a little weird way to say "That way! And attack from the right!"... might have been a word-by-word translation. It's hard to understand though.

Before the tank rams the Kübelwagen, Vogel shouts "Schnell! Nach links! Sehr gut, ja!" - "Quick! To the left! Very good, yes!"

Johnny Jones

Kooshmeister said:
What I wanna know is how and why Elsa is the one who tells Donovan in Hatay that "Indiana Jones and his father have escaped." Did getting thrown out of the zeppelin damage Vogel's brain and make him forget that he knew of their escape long before Elsa did?
I think she meant that they had gotten out of the zeppelin and escaped from the Nazi planes. Before that Donovan and Vogel might have been assuming that it had been taken care of.
More on topic; cool thread!;) At least they tried to be somewhat authentic and not just use any old crap.

Kooshmeister

Laserschwert said:
In the scene you've asked for (Donovan commanding the trucks to follow the tank) I THINK it is: "Da lang! Und Angriff von der Rechten!", a little weird way to say "That way! And attack from the right!"... might have been a word-by-word translation. It's hard to understand though.

Saying it aloud sounds about right. Thanks!

col.dietrich

Kooshmeister said:
4. What the one soldier says after climbing out of the river, when they wipe out in their motorcycle.
what the guy says there sounds kind french. "quieansa! quieansa!" it might even be some kind of swear! like "da#m!" or hurry of quickly. i do not know
:confused: :gun:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Laserschwert said:
"In the scene you've asked for (Donovan commanding the trucks to follow the tank) I THINK it is: "Da lang! Und Angriff von der Rechten!", a little weird way to say "That way! And attack from the right!"... might have been a word-by-word translation. It's hard to understand though.

I actually really like the idea that Donovan has notably imperfect German.

so wah mu

Laserschwert said:
Ah well, Crusade still has quite decent German lines in it... unlike "Die Hard".

Ho ho ho! -I 've got einem Maschinengewehr jetzt!

Strange as Bruno is of Germanic origin. Hit that mouth harp bwoy!

Laserschwert said:
The moment before Indy and Henry crash out of the box on the motorcycle, Vogel commands his troops "Sie! Alle! Komm! Schnell!" - "You! All! Come! Quick!" (it sounds as stupid in German as it does in English ;) ). Adding another "Schnell!" - "Quick!" afterwards.
Actually, it's not "Komm!" but "ins Boot!". meaning "into the boat!".

Stoo

As suspected by Silver above, it appears that the lines in Club Obi-Wan:

---
James Kahn novelization:
Lao smiled at Indy. "Nee chin lie how ma?"

Chen and Kao Kan laughed malignantly.

Indy smiled in return. "Wah jung how, nee nah? Wah hwey hung jung chee jah loonee kao soo wah shu shu." He turned the joke around on Lao Che.

...are quite possibly neither Mandarin nor Cantonese. (I know this doesn't match what Indy says in the film but it's still interesting...)

---
Suzanne Weyn junior novelization:
He greeted them in Shanghainese, one of the Chinese Wu dialects he spoke fluently.

Another exchange in the Kahn novel is after Indy discovers he's been poisoned. He jumps across the table and grabs Lao Che by the lapels:

"Hoe why geh faan yaan." (Very-bad-against-law-person.)
"Ndioh gwok haat yee," spat Lao. (Foreign beggar.)