Indiana Jones references in pop culture...

michael

Hearing the Raiders March any time is pleasant, I actually fist pumped when I heard it.

The Jaws theme was perfect for the gtfo the stage.

They really played the Luke & Leia theme? I totally missed that.

Hey Rocket, remember what I can always say...

Temple of Doom is an Academy Award Winning Movie.

love it.

russds

michael said:
love it.
I was glad they used that scene for the ipad commercial, such a great scene from a great (often under rated) movie.

tumblr_m574sfWZul1r04rhio1_500.jpg

michael said:
They really played the Luke & Leia theme? I totally missed that.
It was excellent...not as exciting as the ET Theme though.

I really got a charge out of that one.

michael said:
Hey Rocket, remember what I can always say...

love it.

Yeah, yeah you can but so is Chariots of Fire, Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman and Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump...

Its almost better that Raiders didn't win!:p

I.M.J.

Here's one that many people may not remember: in season one of Captain N The Game Master (an 80's cartoon featuring a conglomeration of Nintendo properties), episode 3 or 4 has a vignette featuring Donkey Kong as "Donkey Kong Jones" (or something close to that) complete with the Indy font, and Donkey Kong basically re-enacting the entire opening of Raiders and the Boulder Chase scene while in safari-somewhat Indy gear.

Montana Smith

Over the last couple of weeks I watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead - an excellent series, but that's for another thread.

In one episode Daryl calls Glenn "Short Round".

I haven't read the comics, but in a DVD extra Steven Yeun, the actor playing Glenn, held up a Walking Dead comic for comparison:

WDglenn.jpg

WDGlenn-Secret.jpg

WDmeeting-glenn_786_poster.jpg

Does this belong in the Indiana Jones: Racist thread? :D

?Walking Dead? Star Steven Yeun on Resisting Asian Stereotypes

By Daniel Lehman | Posted Oct. 13, 2012, 2:01 p.m.

Within months of moving from Chicago to L.A. to pursue his acting dreams, Steven Yeun was running from brain-eating zombies on the AMC series ?The Walking Dead.? But the newbie was understandably nervous when he started preparing for his first major television role.

?When I moved to L.A. and I booked ?Walking Dead,? all I could think about was how not to screw it up,? he says. So during the initial wardrobe fitting prior to shooting the show?s first season, Yeun kept it to himself when his outfit reminded him of a certain Asian sidekick from another iconic action franchise.

?They put me in these clothes that made me look like Short Round [from ?Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?],? he says, ?and I didn?t say anything because I was just like, ?Oh, don?t make a fuss, even though this is absurd and you look like Short Round.? Nobody noticed until it aired, and then they all said, ?Wait a minute, you look like Short Round.? And I was like, ?I know!? But I was too afraid to say anything because I didn?t want to mess it up.? (His costumes have been tweaked since then.)

But years earlier, Yeun had turned down a theater gig because he thought he would be contributing to similar negative stereotypes if he took the role.

?For my first audition ever, in Chicago, the producers of this little show asked me to do an ?80s monologue,? he recalls, ?so I came in with Ferris Bueller?s opening monologue. They said, ?That was good, but can you do an Asian accent?? ? That?s when Yeun realized they just wanted to see his version of stereotypical ?Sixteen Candles? scene stealer Long Duk Dong. ?After that, they wanted to book me and I just refused,? Yeun says.

Not that he advises others to turn down jobs. Yeun says he understands why actors often end up in projects they?re not proud of.

?All the power to anybody that takes work, because getting work in this business is hard as hell,? he says. ?So you get work and you take it. There?s nothing wrong with that. But for me, I just couldn?t do it. I knew I couldn?t do a good job because I just didn?t believe in it.?

Like his onscreen alter ego, Yeun was born in Korea and moved to Michigan with his family at an early age. Yeun says he feels especially fortunate today to be playing a well-rounded character like Glenn?thankful not just for a prominent role in a hit show but also for the opportunity to portray an Asian-American character who is not defined by his race, ancestry, or accent.

http://www.backstage.com/interview/walking-dead-star-steven-yeun-resisting-asian-stereotypes/

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
InexorableTash said:
Awesome on so very many levels:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6874662/dora-the-explorer-and-the-destiny-medallion-part-1

Dora channels Marion, Indy, and a whole lot more.

(I admit, I needed my wife to translate a few of the jokes. I was too busy in the 90's to keep up with kids shows.)

That WAS awesome! Love Dora. The cartoon that is but not in a sexual way. No. I reserve that for Daphne...anywaaay...

Fred_Jones.gif

Fred is getting prepared with game of pocket billards for the next clip...

InexorableTash

JuniorJones said:
That WAS awesome! Love Dora. The cartoon that is but not in a sexual way. No. I reserve that for Daphne...anywaaay...

My wife. Halloween 2009. Purple dress. Red wig. Who's a lucky guy? Me. :)

College Humor's "Dora" mini-series is now complete.

6144dd3343009d3b3fd233121cf6c691-dora-the-explorer-the-movie-the-poster.jpg

Original joke trailer: Dora the Explorer and the Infinity Orb

Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion:

Mini-Series Trailer

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

A little more Tomb Raider than Indiana Jones overall, but still fun.

Le Saboteur

I've been going back and forth of which thread to drop this in, and finally opted for this one.

I've been re-watching Digging for the Truth with Josh Bernstein lately. Despite his assertion to the contrary, he was clearly outfitted to recall Indiana Jones. Sure, it isn't exactly a fedora he wears, but it's pretty darn close.

Lee650.jpg

This image certainly doesn't help his case either.

jblrg.jpg

He's affable and a hit with the ladies as well.

And here is mugging for the camera @ The Explorer's Club in New York with the directing duo behind Kon Tiki.

Dr. Jones -- is that you?

Somebody is clearly being overlooked in future casting calls.

Kon+Tiki+Celebration+Luncheon+jQEjCQNFC8ul.jpg

ListenLiveLong

If you've ever heard of Homestuck, there's actually two characters who like Indiana Jones and have posters related to it in their rooms.
04117.gif

Aradiaroom.gif

Did you see them there?

Le Saboteur

Ms. Perry has the Eye of the Tiger in her new female empowerment anthem, "Roar." Indiana Jones and Lord Greystoke are cringing in anticipation.

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:
While Mutt eyes up a potential new girlfriend.

tumblr_lc86d8hlK51qa27aa.jpg

Ha! Too funny, Montana! But, Hope he keeps his filthy paws off the pretty Miss Perry. :gun:
Used to not mind Shia, and even stood up for him on several occasions. But recently read some British movie mag, talking about a movie directed by either Von Tiers, or Van Sant, that is very explicit in nature, and Shia reportedly taped both He, and his girlfriend having sex, and sent it to the director as an audition tape. And the audition didn't even call for it:( .

Even if his current girlfriend were cool with it, it still shows a complete lack of character, class, and is a rather desperate move.(n) It also probably shows an attention starved 2nd rate actor's bum!:rolleyes: Don't wanna know.

Too bad. Ah well, he's human. Maybe he'll get some class again.... someday.

Vance

Sea Monarch said:
Too bad. Ah well, he's human. Maybe he'll get some class again.... someday.

Sadly, young actors and actresses are HEAVILY pushed into doing this sort of bull****. If they're lucky, there's someone important in their life that's keeping them from pulling the 'Full Lindsey', but, sadly, more than likely everyone in their life is pushing the 'limits' in order to score quick cash. Shia is in a world where, basically, you're a whore (and this will quickly become nothing) or you're nothing in the first place.

Shia had potential, but he's already gone the garbage route. Hard to imagine him getting ahead of the game again unless he lucks into a huge role... but nobody's seeking him out anymore.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Vance said:
, more than likely everyone in their life is pushing the 'limits' in order to score quick cash. Shia is in a world where, basically, you're a whore (and this will quickly become nothing) or you're nothing in the first place.

For every Shia, there is an Emma Watson counterpart. It's still comes down to choice by the individual actor. Mind you I'm not saying it's easy to stay 'clean' in Hollywood, but it's not exactly impossible either. And you can have success and respect, too.

Vance

Pale Horse said:
For every Shia, there is an Emma Watson counterpart. It's still comes down to choice by the individual actor. Mind you I'm not saying it's easy to stay 'clean' in Hollywood, but it's not exactly impossible either. And you can have success and respect, too.

It's possible, but you really really need people who will watch out for you as well and keep you employed. Otherwise, yeah, it's a pretty damn fast road to self destruction. (And, yes, you get Emma Watson, but look at Daniel Radcliffe!)

And, I said, it's all too often that you'll get agents, producers, even family, that are FAR more interested in maxing out a young person's bankroll for a year or two than what's really best for them. For every Emma, there are dozens of Lindsey Lohans... most of them just never made their initial break in the first place. :S

Montana Smith

All I can say on that subject at the moment is that Shia played the perfect nerd in The Transformers series. He was a natural.

And in other news, I've paused Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare. There was a Temple of Doom style rope bridge cliffhanger, and almost, but not quite, a cliff slammer.

And I notice that russds posted a shot of Indy on the bridge, while JuniorJones posted one of Fred Jones.

kongisking

Nice to see some Emma Watson love here, guys. (y)

As for Shia, what he really needs is a role that takes him to a completely different place, that really tests his talent, and forces him to bare everything and prove once and for all that he's a man, not a jumped-up little boy.