Can Jason Bourne kick Indiana Jones' ass?

Inbanana

Well, according to Indiana Jones 4's stunt coordinator... he can.

Here's an excerpt from L.A. times' interview with Dan Bradley:
Jason Bourne could destroy Indiana Jones if it came down to a fight, according to Dan Bradley, the mastermind behind the action in "The Bourne Ultimatum," its predecessor "The Bourne Supremacy" and Steven Spielberg's upcoming fourth installment of "Indiana Jones."

"There are two actors I've worked with who would make top-notch fight guys as actual stuntmen, and that's Matt Damon and Harrison Ford," says Bradley, who is officially credited as second unit director and stunt coordinator, but is known in the industry as one of the preeminent action directors working. Despite the real-life actors' fighting abilities, and even figuring in their age differences, Bradley still thinks Bourne would kill Indy. " 'Bourne' is pretty hard-edged, realistic stuff, and 'Indy' is very much cliffhanger, B-movie, old-school action style," he explained on a recent phone call from the "Indiana Jones" set in Hawaii.
So Bourne could kick Indy's butt, huh? Hmm... well anyway you can check out the rest of the article here, but the rest just goes on to talk mostly about "The Bourne Ultimatum"... (If the site asks for a password, you can always try www.bugmenot.com. ;) )

Echo22

Rubbish. Let's not forget about Jackie Chann, while we're at it.
Again, rubbish.

Let's put em' head to head at the box office and see who kicks ass.
:whip:

Indy_Chic

Bourne beating Indy in a fight is ridiculous! Indy would win any day! Though I would pay to see that fight...:whip:

I'd put my money on Indy... he fights dirty.

Yep, and he would just shoot Bourne like he did to the swordsman in Raiders. Match over. ;)

Niteshade007

Are you guys serious? I mean, I like Indiana Jones (why else would I be here?) But to say that Indy could kick Bourne's ass is crazy! Bourne is a trained assassin who could just snap at any minute. He can do some serious damage. Even if Indy just took out his pistol, Bourne would be all over him like white on rice. Indy would be a dead man.

NileQT87

my favorite line is: "despite the real-life actors' fighting abilities"... meaning, the guy is actually admitting that in real-life, harrison would grind matt into grape jelly.

Short Round

That guy is an idiot. Indy has a gun. Period. Not to mention he is also as good a fighter and also has a whip. He also has more tricks up his sleeve. If something is close to Indy, he WILL make use of it when fighting. He also comes up with master plans.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Despite the real-life actors' fighting abilities, and even figuring in their age differences, Bradley still thinks Bourne would kill Indy. " 'Bourne' is pretty hard-edged, realistic stuff, and 'Indy' is very much cliffhanger, B-movie, old-school action style," he explained on a recent phone call from the "Indiana Jones" set in Hawaii.

It's probably more a quote about the different genres of these films than anything else. (Although I really like the hint on Harrison Ford's abilities...:))
I think that it was Indy's characterization and Ford's very human scale-acting that gave the "old-school action style" of the Indy flicks a more realistic dimension. So, I'd say that considering these are films in the B-movie tradition they're relatively "hard-edged".
But still he's absolutely right (as far as I can say that as he's talking about a film we haven't seen yet) when he points out the differences of the two styles.
It's two completely different genres of action film and thus they're hard to compare. I guess what he's (subconsciously ;) ) indicating is that, in Bourne's more "realistic" world Indy would be killed.

Maybe the question is rather ...which of the two film heroes would actually die in his/their respective franchise: Bourne or Indy... ? And the fact that none of the two would...makes this question even more impossible to answer.

loganbush

Indiana Jones is not a real person, whereas Jason Bourne is, so its a bit of a silly question.

what?

Indy is my favorite character of all time. but Bourne would win if Indy didn't have a gun. try watching the Bourne films. He was brutally trained to kill people in half a second. But that program is completely fake, just a movie.

Now Harrison would tear of Matt's arm and beat him to death with it.

deckard24

These vs. debates only work with similar fictional characters like Bourne vs. Bond or Indiana Jones vs. Rick O'Connell!

My money though is on Bourne 100%! I appreciate the level of loyalty to Indiana Jones since this is The Raven, but in my opinion it's a little delusional to think Jones would win.

As for the actors fighting each other which was brought up, at the end of the day these guys are playing pretend. Damon is the only one of the two who actually received martial arts training for his roles, unlike Ford who has always been a "physical actor"! Ford's movie fighting style is old school scrapping not mixed martial arts. Just comparing those two, there's no comparison, Kali(the name of Bourne's style) would destroy Ford's scrappy street fighting!

Of course all this comes down to how much did Damon retain of his Kali training. If your talking a real life scenario, Damon has received 6 years of intense martial arts training unlike Ford who the last time I checked doesn't have a single day. Damon definitely has the edge!

kongisking

The outcome between an Indy VS Bourne fight is as obvious as a fight between Indy and Daniel Craig's Bond. Bourne would eat Indy for breakfast and then barf him back out (too much dirt! blech!). No offense Indy, but a down-and-dirty fighter like Indy would not last long against a trained assassin like Bourne. And plus, have you ever noticed just how many times Indy is close to death in a fight if one of his sidekicks didn't save his neck at the opportune second? Indy's a good fighter, but he technically loses every time. Even the fight with Pat Roach should have killed him; it was just the propeller that finished the Nazi off. :rolleyes:

Once again, Deck, you are correct. Bourne wins. Period.

The only correct answer is whatever they were WRITTEN to do... They're fictional characters who cannot act outside what their writers make them do...

Questions like this make this forum sound like it's for 8 year olds....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ClintonHammond said:
The only correct answer is whatever they were WRITTEN to do... They're fictional characters who cannot act outside what their writers make them do...

Questions like this make this forum sound like it's for 8 year olds....

I think it's acceptable, if not interesting to me personally, to take the characters and extrapolate them beyond the confines of their sources. It ought to be possible with a character both well-written and well-portrayed.

Echo22

kongisking said:
And plus, have you ever noticed just how many times Indy is close to death in a fight if one of his sidekicks didn't save his neck at the opportune second? Indy's a good fighter, but he technically loses every time. Even the fight with Pat Roach should have killed him; it was just the propeller that finished the Nazi off. :rolleyes:

It's always better to be lucky than good.
;)

Besides, it aint gonna' happen.
Now Superman vs. Batman or King Kong vs. Godzilla - Those are questions I'd like answered.

Or what about Jaws vs. Moby Dick? :sleep: