Putting a face to the name: Abner Ravenwood

Mickiana

I would never have Fedora as Abner. It just doesn't make sense. There was absolutely no hint of that in LC. He was an influence in style, nothing more than an antagonist to young Indy and was obviously a henchman working for a boss. And Fedora as Marion's father? It's so unlikely a storyline it seems vastly uninteresting.

Unfortunately, a lot of the great suggestions for actors to fill Abner's boots are for dead ones. Unfortunate because they are dead. How old would Abner be in 1957? I imagine he's somewhere in his 70s. What about Anthony Hopkins? He could definitely pull it off, whether he would want to or not....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm onboard with the Wilford Brimley idea, personally.

Or Robert Duvall.

robert-duvall02-733728.jpg

Gear

First of all, is "Fedora" ever mentioned again in the Indyverse? I imagined he was a character who vanished into the mystery from which he appeared.

red_foreman.jpg

Secondly, isn't this Abner?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Gear said:
First of all, is "Fedora" ever mentioned again in the Indyverse? I imagined he was a character who vanished into the mystery from which he appeared.

I thought I'd vaguely heard of an appearance: the Holbein novel apparently might be what I was thinking of.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Fedora_(individual)

The wiki article offers up this fascinating tidbit:

The role of Garth was played by Richard Young. A few months after the premiere of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Richard Young returned to the role of Garth in a live performance for the opening show (which was produced by Steven Spielberg) of the 1989 National Boy Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.

Last edited:

Gear

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Fedora_(character)

Indiana Jones Wiki said:
Garth, also known as "Fedora", was a leader of a gang of hired treasure hunters who retrieved the Cross of Coronado from a canyon site in Utah in 1912.

Indiana Jones Wiki said:
Early drafts of The Last Crusade alluded to him being Abner Ravenwood, Indiana's mentor. However all references to this identity have been removed from the final cut...

Indiana Jones Wiki said:
the character seems to reappear in the Wolfgang Hohlbein novel Indiana Jones und das Verschwundene Volk (Indiana Jones and the Lost People) where it is suggested his name is Jake (though it could refer to Half Breed instead).

Le Saboteur

Darth Vile said:
I think Newman was one of Ford's hero's... and you can actually see some of those Newman traits in Ford's performances over the years. Newman could also pull off that intelligent, but handy in a fight combination too (like Coburn) ;)

I could see Newman in that role. But if we're looking for that All-American look (and an actor that's still living), how about Robert Redford? He's probably, say, ten years past his prime, but could definitely pull it off.

Stoo

Gear said:
Gear said:
From Indiana Jone wiki:
the character seems to reappear in the Wolfgang Hohlbein novel Indiana Jones und das Verschwundene Volk (Indiana Jones and the Lost People) where it is suggested his name is Jake (though it could refer to Half Breed instead).
Already mentioned above...You guys are slow.:p Credit Flannery10 for that wiki entry since it was most likely appropriated from what he posted in the thread below...

Stoo said:
He's also Jake in one of the German novels.:p

Here's a good thread: Anyone wish Indy could have met "Fedora" again?

Attila the Professor said:
The wiki article offers up this fascinating tidbit:

The role of Garth was played by Richard Young. A few months after the premiere of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Richard Young returned to the role of Garth in a live performance for the opening show (which was produced by Steven Spielberg) of the 1989 National Boy Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.
Now, THAT is interesting, indeed! First time I've heard of this! Opening show?:confused: We need more info on this.
Attila the Professor said:
I'm onboard with the Wilford Brimley idea, personally.
Myself, as well. All one has to do is watch "High Road to China". Brimley's character may well have been Hugh Fleming's inspiration. There are too many similarities (geographic location, abandoned daughter & believed dead...) Saboteur's idea for James Coburn is a good one, too!

Le Saboteur

Atilla the Professor said:

I actually sort of remember this! That was the same year that Steven Spielberg introduced the cinematography merit badge!

kongisking

Stoo said:
To Kong, the 8th Wonder of the World, and cdmeredith:
Fedora cannot be Abner because his name is Garth. (So says the DVD subtitles...:p)

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??? Damn it! So much for that idea then, I guess...:( :( :(

Uki

I've always liked the idea of Brimley as Abner. Besides, he's already a part of that other perfect saga, SW (Noa, in Ewoks: The Battle for Endor). (Yes, I love that movie!);)