Who would you cast as the villain?

Echo22

There has been plenty of speculation and research as to who the villains might be in the next installment of the Indy saga (the Russians, the Koreans, the mob, a fictitious cult, ex-Nazi's, a fictitious cult led by ex-Nazi's, the Klingons, etc.) And now that casting announcements are gradually rolling our way, I want to ask you who you would cast as the ideal foe for our famed archeologist. Raiders, in my opinion, had three of the best villains in the history of the genre. Belloq (my favorite) then Toht and the Boss German, Dietrich. They played off each other brilliantly. Not to mention some of the unforgettable supporting villains: The swordsman, the muscle-bound mechanic, .....even the monkey! The sequels had a few memorables, as well: Mola Ram, Lao Che, Vogel. All of these were played by actors with plenty of experience - but none were ever household names even after the release. One has to wonder if they'll go that route again and cast actors with less fame and more fuel - or if they'll try to get a well known actor/ actress to go head to head with Ford's star power.

Ray Winstone could indeed end up as the sidekick - but none of it has yet been confirmed. I keep thinking he'd be a good villain.

Or someone like Timothy Dalton or his alter ego, Jason Isaacs as a rival treasure hunter. Sam Neil as a Russian Commander or Ian McKellen as an ex-Nazi (both possibly a bit overdone, though) Or maybe they could bring back Remy (Young Indy's heavyset Belgian friend) as a sidekick gone bad. (sorry, maybe not)

Other names that come to mind: Alan Rickman, Christopher Plummer, Sam Neil, Gary Oldman, Jeremy Irons, Rutger Hauer, Sean Bean or Ralph Fiennes (maybe someone younger than Indy for a change)

They could also use names that they've worked with in past Indy's or in Star Wars. Both Lucas and Spielberg seem to wisely make a habit of that. Lliam Neeson, Ian McDiarmid, Paul Freeman, Christopher Lee, Alfred Molina (how strange would that be?)

Or maybe a woman - We don't know yet what role Blanchett has to play in all this. My guess and hope is that she's one of the good guys. But, as in Last Crusade, you never know.

So many possibilities. Let's hear your predictions...

Echo22

John Hurt would be perfect as a Belloq or Walter Donovan type. More of an intellectual baddie. He sort of has the same style as an Ian McKellin. I could definitely see it. Hope the rumor is accurate. He would need some pretty hefty henchmen to do his fighting for him, though. To bad Pat Roach has passed away. :(

deckard24

I read that about John Hurt as well. He was great in The Proposition! If Eastwood is not up for Abner, I'd like to see him as a villain, even though I know it's all rumour and spectulation. I'm also thinking Winstone could be a doublecrossing sidekick, he just doesn't strike me as the good guy.
Some good names Echo22! I could also see Javier Bardem and Ciaran Hinds as main villains. As well as main baddies, some good rival archaeologists could be Viggo Mortensen, Josh Brolin, or Clive Owen.

Dr.Sartorius

I like the idea of a younger rival archaeologist chasing Indy to the artifact/mcguffin. Maybe there could be another bad guy who's more ruthless and Indy has to team up with the rival archaeologist to defeat him. :whip:

deckard24

To me the best way to play Indy's age would be to have a younger rival archaeologist. There could be a few age related jokes which would work in this case, without getting too slapstick. I don't want the movie to be a Lethal Weapon 4, but his age has to be addressed and this could be a good solution. Owen, Mortensen, or Brolin could totally pull off the look and be convincing taking on Ford. Or, like you said Dr. Sartorius team up with Indy. How cool would that be! Ford and say Owen working together, they could play off the fact that even if Indy is older he has been around the block so much he knows all the shortcuts even if he's lacking in stamina.

Echo22

This is where I could see Winstone being thrown in, if not the villain or the "sidekick". Maybe a rival that is later forced to team up with Indy. And come to think of it, Blanchett would fit that role as well. Maybe even better.

Or, dare i go there, I could even see Indy's son or daughter being his rival - A young up and coming phenom in the field of archeology that is hired by the villains (without knowing that they are villains) who are later exposed to be simply using him/her to reveal his/her father's trade secrets to uncover what he/she believes to be something of far greater importance - to find the lost _____.

That's the kind of plot where a villain like John Hurt or Ian McKellin would be perfect. A manipulator who's clever talk of finding that one great artifact for the greater good of humanity - when in reality, it's only purpose is to serve their own sinister agenda.

I can see it.
Though, I'm honestly voting against the son of Indy theme. Daughter, I can live with. Too bad it's not Natalie Portman.
(n)

Last edited:

deckard24

More good ideas Echo 22! I'd prefer a daughter for Indy as well, and Natalie Portman would be great.Your ideas for the son angle are pretty interesting though. Ian Mckellen is great as a bad guy, he was the only good thing that came out of the Davinci Code and he was terrific in Apt Pupil. I could totally see him as the smooth talking baddie.

Tom Hanks. Just for the chance to see his smug face getting smashed in for his performance in that bucket of arse dregs they called 'The Da Vinci Code'.

Johan

I could see Antonio Banderas playing a good villain especially if Indy 4 will have anything to do with mexico.

deckard24

Banderas is a possibility, especially if he had that same look from Four Rooms.
I could also see Giancarlo Gianinni or Brendan Gleeson at least as supporting roles.

Echo22

I guess it all has to do with where the villains come from and who looks the part....
The Russians: Timothy Dalton (with a beard), Sam Neil, Gary Oldman or Christopher Lee
The Koreans: Ken Watanabe or Chow Yun-Fat
Ex Nazi's: John Hurt, Rutger Hauer, Christopher Plummer or Ian McKellin
The Mob: Gabriel Byrne, Alfred Molina, F. Murray Abraham, Armand Assante or Ben Kingsley

Of course, Belloq was French....And played brilliantly by an Englishman.
It would seem that any predictions could realistically go on until the day of the release.

These are just a few random examples. However, I have this weird feeling that it's going to be a situation like the beginning of Raiders where there's a savage cult or tribe taking orders from someone falling in one of the above categories. I'm doubting that there will be any armies at their disposal. I hope I'm wrong. I really want to see another truck/tank scene....
Maybe a large hovercraft? Or a helicopter? These were all around in the 50's.

Baron Brunwald

Johan said:
What about Christopher Walkin?

walkenmordorjv8.jpg

:p