The Official Trailer Thread

oki9Sedo

SterankoII said:
Indy and the German driver sharing a laugh before he punches him out!

That was one of the funniest parts in the movie for me. Especially the way the German laughs and looks at Indy as if he's his new friend.

SterankoII

That guy was played by Terry Leonard, the stuntman who also did the moving under the truck stunt.
What if they put in the shot in the RAIDERS trailer from the flying wing scene. The part where after the bald mechanic punches Indy and his legs wobble before falling down? You would think the whole movie was goofy based on that!

Last edited:

commontone

Here's a slightly technical question...has anyone had success converting the trailer to standard DVD format (interlaced)?

I tried to convert the smallest HD trailer using TMPGEnc, the best converter out there. Unfortunately the trailer files are 30 fps, while DVD is 29.97 fps, so there was some jerkiness in the resulting conversion.

I'm just wondering if anyone managed to convert the trailer to DVD so that it looks good and solid, basically like a commercial DVD, without motion problems etc. It should be possible using these pristine HD files but I'm missing something.

oki9Sedo

SterankoII said:
That guy was played by Terry Leonard, the stuntman who also did the moving under the truck stunt.
What if they put in the shot in the RAIDERS trailer from the flying wing scene. The part where after the bald mechanic punches Indy and his legs wobble before falling down? You would think the whole movie was goofy based on that!

I don't know how they did that. It'd be nearly impossible to allow yourself to fall on your ass like that without breaking the fall with you hands.

oki9Sedo said:
I don't know how they did that. It'd be nearly impossible to allow yourself to fall on your ass like that without breaking the fall with you hands.

Perhaps they dug a small trench for Ford's ass. They just need to put a cushion in there and cover it with sand.

Finn

Staff member
commontone said:
I'm just wondering if anyone managed to convert the trailer to DVD so that it looks good and solid, basically like a commercial DVD, without motion problems etc. It should be possible using these pristine HD files but I'm missing something.
Try converting it to AVI first, and from there to DVD. Of course, in the process of repacking it from MOV to AVI it's going to lose some of its HD glory, but should still stand unnoticed among regular DVDs.

I'm giving it a shot once I get an uncensored trailer into my hands, preferably the British version (there might already be some nice other language ones out, but I prefer the English inserts).

Indyologist

I thought the trailer was wonderful. I'm so glad I have the internet access to see it. I am just so excited and elated to have Indy and Marion back and some new faces as well. Just remember guys, you can't please everybody. The film is what it is and we'll have to 1.) make our peace with it and 2.) Be glad that the Big Three thought of we fans enough to make another Indy film for the world to enjoy.

That's all I have to say, anyway. I just can't wait! (y)

No Ticket

I know some of the stuff I'm about to say has probably been addressed already, but this thread grows so fast... I'm going to address all of what I wanted to say anyways:

sandiegojones said:
It's just the trailer, why bit@h? You know it'll be fixed in the final film. Sheesh!!!!

Why bit@h? Because censorship like this is ridiculous. It's not about the movie specifically, I assume it will not be like that in the film... it better not be. It's got to do with associating such bullcrap censorship with Indiana Jones to begin with.

I don't understand this exactly. What about just pointing the guns at them is so bad? In the LC trailer, Nazis are shooting at him as is the brotherhood protecting the grail. Heck, there's a barrage of bullets being shot at Indy in the KOTCS trailer too... wouldn't that be worse? In the Raiders reissue trailer, also approved by all audiences, one of the two at the beginng of the film point a gun at indy and he uses his whip to knock it out of his hand.

I'm also upset about editing out the American flag in the opening shot for trailers in other countries. I understand that not everybody in the world is in love with America, but that is just disrepresentative of the story. If this is taking place at some kind of American military base, there's likely to be an American flag there. What's the big deal? Are they going to edit them all out of the final overseas version? Try to hide that this is America in the film? Afraid of offending people? No, it's more about money. I think they're afraid it will just keep people from going to see it who don't like America and see the flag.

That's un-necessary and dumb censorship if you ask me. Maybe you do not agree, but I feel pretty strongly about it. I live in America, it's not the best country in the world, but it's my home and I'm happy I live here. The majority of people living here cannot help what the country, run by a much smaller group of people, do on the whole.

Now, some other things I wanted to address:

OMG! Indy's now whip slinging like Spidey!! / Indy is doing things that are just too unrealisitc!
I get where a lot of that is coming from, I too was unsure about it at first. But I've resolved it's not such a big deal now. As pointed out, in TOD he swings in a similar manner. Zip line or not, everyone n the room is shooting at him and nobody can hit him even though he isn't moving very fast. How realistic is that?

In LC, he picks up a rock and shoves it into the gun on a Tank. And this has a cartoon-effect of blowing apart the cannon. I think we all know that wouldn't work. The rock would just be blown apart and, well, Indy would probably be dead. How real was that?

The trailer makes it seem like way over the top action!! :(
Well. A lot of people don't think there was enough in LC. I say that there was, but, at least your going to be getting a lot of action from Indy after 19 years. I'm sure the trailer just doesn't show all the "character building" moments. It wouldn't be Indy without them.

On the Natives in the trailer:
I think they are probably just local natives... a tribe maybe nobody knew still existed, and not dead warriors or whatever. I may be wrong here, that's just what I think the case is. Maybe they protect the crystal skull, much like the brotherhood did the Grail.

The trailer and the tone:
And I too have said the tone of the film is not really recognizable from teh trailer... after watching the other Indy trailers.. you don't really get the TONE of the films from the trailers... I think they don't represent the final product well.

Personally, I think it won't be that much like LC at all. Maybe some of the one liners. It looks kind of like TOD and Raiders to me. Kind of dark, lots of action and fights and explosions, a bunch of natives chasing Indy... lol, etc.

"The Adventure Continues!!" Must be an Indy V on the way!
... and for those who think Indy V is on the way (at least one person mentioned it). I doubt it. Unless other people are gonna make it. It took forever to flesh this story out enough and Ford was saying if they waited much longer he'd be too old to do it. They'd have to come up with another good Macguffin, etc. I don't think they will. So, this is probably it. Besides, Spielberg is probably more interested in other projects now that he's done Indy IV.

Everyone be careful. Don't ruin it for yourselves. I'm not saying "Don't complain!!" ... just don't get carried away with every detail and take it so seriously. If you do that you'll ruin it for yourself, because you'll just be thinking of how that "doesn't seem like Indiana Jones." Lucas was kind of right though, no matter what they do, every fan has it in their head their own vision of how it should've been done... and for them it won't be "Indy." Besides, it IS just the trailer, those opinions can't really be backed up a whole lot until we see the final film.

I agree with Finn though. If everyone just agreed with each other, it would be a boring discussion. Don't get mad at people or say they're not "real fans" or whatever just because they're not as enthusiastic as you are.

Well, I think that's everything I wanted to say. It's hard to remember all of it.

Oh, I like the new look of IJ.com! haha.

Last edited:

sandiegojones

No Ticket said:
I know some of the stuff I'm about to say has probably been addressed already, but this thread grows so fast... I'm going to address all of what I wanted to say anyways:

Why bit@h? Because censorship like this is ridiculous. It's not about the movie specifically, I assume it will not be like that in the film... it better not be. It's got to do with associating such bullcrap censorship with Indiana Jones to begin with.
I was referreing to the quality of the effects shots (likely unfinished). I 100% agree with you about the censorship and peoples gripes! (y)

Hopefully this will only effect the trailer and not the film.

Last edited:

Michael24

No Ticket said:
That's un-necessary and dumb censorship if you ask me. Maybe you do not agree, but I feel pretty strongly about it. I live in America, it's not the best country in the world, but it's my home and I'm happy I live here. The majority of people living here cannot help what the country, run by a much smaller group of people, do on the whole.

Quoted for truth, though I will say that this is the best country in the world and I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. :)

Paulio

Wow

I avoided the release of the trailer thursday, I thought waiting for friday night will let me enjoy it more since it would be the end of the working week and I would have a drink in my hand. I watched the trailer first time tonight and (at 31 years of age) I loved it! Its a brilliant trailer/teaser. It got me in the mood again.

There seems to be two types of fans here, those who watch Indy on the screen and those who watch it on the screen and analyse each and every frame. I have done both and I agree that there are moments when a picture looks inconsistent with its previous frame, CGI or previous technology.

The fact is that when I watch this at the cinema, its going to rock. The trailer looks brilliant, harrison looks good, and the adventure is mind blowing and CGI doesnt concern me as long we dont have complete CGI sets with Aliens with them.

Just remember that we have least one teaser/trailer to go, maybe teaser and then the official trailer to go. This is going to be a cool three months.

I hope that the plot meets the expectactions of the doubters of this movie but if they try to forget the exact memories of the previous films, only then will they have realistic expectations of the new movie.

Lets get it on!

Paulio

Matinee Idyll

SterankoII said:
I liked the line too. When has an action scene in an Indy movie not had a funny moment? They all had them including Raiders! The truck chase? C'mon!:

You missed the funniest bit! When the motorcycle and sidecar start to approach, there's a rather long dramatic buildup - you're sure something bad's going to happen to Jones. Then Indy just swerves the slightest bit, and the Nazis crash. Hilarious.

Michael24

That's one of my favorite bits. Especially how, when it cuts to the wide shot, the one Nazi is already in mid-air, arms up over his head, then just falls head first into the pool. It looks so funny! LOL!!

On a side note, my dad swears when he saw this in the theater Indy also flipped them the bird. You can see, just after he swerves the wheel, he does appear to move his left arm in a way that looks like he is sticking it out the window.

oki9Sedo

Matinee Idyll said:
You missed the funniest bit! When the motorcycle and sidecar start to approach, there's a rather long dramatic buildup - you're sure something bad's going to happen to Jones. Then Indy just swerves the slightest bit, and the Nazis crash. Hilarious.

I love the way its done in "cause and effect" style as well - you see Indy tilt the wheel a little, you hear a noise, he looks out the window to see what the effect is, and we see the dual motorcycle in the middle crashing and tumbling into a puddle.

DoomsdayFAN

I HATE the one liner Indy uses...

Guy: "This aint going to be easy"

Indy: "Not as easy as it used to be"

What Indy says is so stupid an cliche!!! :mad:

I would have MUCH RATHER it went like this...

Indy: "It never is"

And too:

I fear there is going to be WAY too much unneeded comedy:

Indy: "Damn I thought that was closer"

*Unnessisary*

Dr. Gonzo

A while ago in the midst of the excitment when this thread came out and there were 50 replies every second I had this statement:
Only thing I was worried about in the trailer was the sound effects. Does anybody know if ben burt is on board for sound effects? I missed the classic indy punch sound, they just threw a generic one in there... (although it is just the trailer.) Is good ole Ben Burt on board?

I have done some looking now and Ben Burt is not attached to Indy 4. Does this mean that we will not have the traditional indy sound effects:confused:

I love the way the Indy punches and gun shots sound! They are not present in the trailer! They are replaced by generic body blow noises. Even though it is only the trailer I am getting worried about the sound design. Indy isnt Indy for me without the classic sound effects. I hope it was just because they were trying to get the trailer out there as soon as they could. I love the way this movie is shaping up but I am worried about those beloved sounds.

sandiegojones

DoomsdayFAN said:
I HATE the one liner Indy uses...

Indy: "Not as easy as it used to be"

What Indy says is so stupid an cliche!!! :mad:

I would have MUCH RATHER it went like this...

Indy: "It never is"

And too:

I fear there is going to be WAY too much unneeded comedy:

Indy: "Damn I thought that was closer"

*Unnessisary*
"It never is" is a cliche! :rolleyes:

"not as easy as it used to be" is a nod to his age as is the "damn, I thought that was closer" line.

The film is not made just for you dude!