The Frank Darabont Script

blueseattle

sanitystream said:
Hmmm... how to commit career suicide in Hollywood:

Sue both Steven Spielberg AND George Lucas. At the same time.

Yeah. Good luck with that Frank.

Well, to his credit, he actually knows how to write and direct a film. He struck gold twice... and he still does in my book. Spielberg is pretty untouchable, but Lucas? He's a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted the fifties stuff in this and Mutt so that he could grease up and recharge his American Graffiti franchise next.

Agent Z

G-Man said:
I'd guess Lucasfilm own the rights to all the script treatments...

I was guessing that as well, but the reason I had to ask is if Lucasfilm does indeed own the scripts, then I don't understand what legal action Darabont thinks he could take on a script that is no longer his property.

G-Man

Yeah I get your point, I guess that writers are still able to claim a credit once they've passed the script over...

Vendetta08

blueseattle said:
Well, to his credit, he actually knows how to write and direct a film. He struck gold twice... and he still does in my book. Spielberg is pretty untouchable, but Lucas? He's a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted the fifties stuff in this and Mutt so that he could grease up and recharge his American Graffiti franchise next.

Are you kidding?

Spielberg's time of greatness has come and gone. Even his most avid fans will tell you he isn't as good as he was 15 years ago. Spielberg reigned supreme through the 70s-90s. Now he only turns out work that is mediocre.

Raiders of the Lost Ark>>>>>>Crystal Skull
Close Encounters>>>>>>War of the Words
Schindler's List>>>>>>>>Munich
ET>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AI

MolaRam2

I don't like the way Darabont reused Nazis (they were fine in ROTLA and LC, but twice is enough), but I'm sure it was 100 times better than Koepp's mess.

Agent Z

MolaRam2 said:
I don't like the way Darabont reused Nazis (they were fine in ROTLA and LC, but twice is enough), but I'm sure it was 100 times better than Koepp's mess.

I think, when it was all said and done, Darabont would have swapped the Nazis over to Commies. I really don't think there is that great a deal between the two, drama-wise, as LONG as the head baddie is cool enough and Spalko was one of the better villains of the series.

Jim Tigernuts

Why bring in extra family members in the first place? Connery was the ONLY reason why bringing his dad into the story worked. No other actor could have pulled it off, period.

Much less Kevin Costner as his brother. Boy am I glad we were spared that debacle.

Agent Z

Agent Spalko said:
Do you really think Darabont's script could have been any better with Indy's estranged alcoholic brother?

Haha! Damn, is that the Kevin Costner-rumored brother?!

That would not have been a good start to the script, no.....

indytim

Skipper said:
My dream come true would be a Lawrence Kasdan scripted Indy V.

Me too! With all these years of script issues and problems why was Lawrence never called upon for his writing services. Like Abner and Indiana, did George and Lawrence have a 'falling out' at some point? :confused:

Jim Tigernuts

Someone should ask him, or someone in the know. Why did they not bring back the dialogue guy who helped out for the Last Crusade, whatever his name was? His work speaks for itself.

Dr. Gonzo

Frank... its time for you to tell us... or show us what was in your script that made steve say "this is the best since raiders."

crowmagnumman

I won't assume Darabont's script is better than the one we ended up with in Crystal Skull, but I'm still insanely curious about it. I'd like to read it.

agentsands77

I hope Moriarty does that "script dissection" special soon. I'd love to hear about Darabont's draft (and Nathanson's, for that matter).