Death Of Dan O'Bannon...

The Man

D.O.B...R.I.P.

O'Bannon did some FX work on Star Wars in 1977, but is best known for kickstarting a different franchise. While authorship of Alien as we know it today is down to a number of people, there's no question that O'Bannon's Star Beast screenplay set the ball rolling, and he brought many of his colleagues from Alejandro Jodorowsky's aborted Dune to the project. The rest is movie history.

He wrote Blue Thunder and Life Force, and had two cracks at Philip K Dick, adapting We Can Remember It For You Wholesale and Second Variety into Total Recall and Screamers. Some say his Moebius-illustrated Heavy Metal comic The Long Tomorrow was a big visual influence on Blade Runner.

My buddy incessantly called me all throughout the screening of my new film to tell me this...

Oddly enough, I was just talking about Dan this morning with my boss. He had wanted to borrow Alien and he told me to throw in a zombie film for him too. So I let him borrow Return of the Living Dead for an O'Bannon double feature. ...what an odd coincidence.

Terrible shame, of course. And he was far too young. A great artist.

The Man

ResidentAlien said:
My buddy incessantly called me all throughout the screening of my new film to tell me this...

Oddly enough, I was just talking about Dan this morning with my boss. He had wanted to borrow Alien and he told me to throw in a zombie film for him too. So I let him borrow Return of the Living Dead for an O'Bannon double feature. ...what an odd coincidence.

Terrible shame, of course. And he was far too young. A great artist.

Odd indeed, Res.

Total Recall is actually on TV tomorrow night over here. Must watch in honour and sadness.