How Many of You Think That Indiana Jones 4 is going to be disappointing?

AntiJones

I know all of you are waiting for Indy 4, but seriously from the bottom of your heart with full honesty , how many of you think that Indy 4 might not live up to its billing like Phantom Menace SW Ep1?

Don't react and try to fight, argue and call this trash, (Cause this is only going to show the aggressive side of your denial).

deckard24

It's a huge possibility! However, unlike The Phantom Menace this is not a prequel with an entire new cast and new faces. KOTCS will still most importantly have Harrison Ford as the main attraction, the return of Karen Allen, John William's score, and Spielberg in the director's chair. Yes, just because they are all back doesn't mean that the film will live up to the huge expectations of fans worldwide, but it has a better shot than a prequel film like TPM.

Regardless of his age, as long as Ford is back I think the crowds will show up. Whether or not they'll deliver with a film for "the fans" as Spielberg said, is still very much up in the air. When the trailer hits I think we'll have a better grasp of what's in store come next May.

oki9Sedo

AntiJones said:
I know all of you are waiting for Indy 4, but seriously from the bottom of your heart with full honesty , how many of you think that Indy 4 might not live up to its billing like Phantom Menace SW Ep1?

Don't react and try to fight, argue and call this trash, (Cause this is only going to show the aggressive side of your denial).

Its certainly possible, anyone who denies that is just denying the truth. But its also possible that it'll be the best one. We'll only know in May 2008, so these conversations are fruitless.

I fully suspect that this movie, given every thing I've heard about it that MIGHT be true, is going to suck out-loud and in 3D.....

Don't get me wrong... I WANT it to be great.... I just have NO confidence that it will even be good.

Jones Junkie

I'm very excited about the film but don't doubt that possibility. Then again, I thought the same thing prior to seeing Rocky Balboa and I ended up loving it. :hat:

Michael24

I suppose anything is possible, but I have more confidence that it will be good than I do worry it'll suck. I'm not going in with any higher expectations than to just see an entertaining Indiana Jones movie like the previous three, and I have confidence it will succeed on that level. I'd be willing to bet that on May 22, I'll be walking out of the theater with a smile of satisfaction on my face.

chapter11

I have complete confidence that Indy 4 will be much better than The Phantom Menace. As someone noted above, this is a continuation of the story with the same characters, not a prequel that tries to reinvent the same universe. More importantly, Lucas didn't write this screenplay or direct the film.

Now, will it live up to the first three Indy films? I don't know. But I don't sit around actively doubting the film's potential quality. It has a good cast, a great director, and from everything I've seen a potentially interesting story and take on the character. Why on earth would I expect it to be disappointing at this stage?

sarah navarro

Nothing was more disapointing than Phantom menace,Ive got confidence in KOTCS,I know that no matter how it turns out I'll be happy.I dont think theres a possibility of it sucking,if anything it will be that it doesnt live up to the first 3.
sorry if someone already said this beause I didnt read all the replies straight through.:)

Zorg

Do I think KotCS will disappoint? No. Why? Because of the reasons stated above. Do I think it will feel different from the other ones? To some extent, yes. Do I think that's a bad thing? No.

Niteshade007

I am one of those who thinks that it could quite possibly be a bad movie. Then again, I may be pleasantly surprised and it may become my favorite sequel (it won't be hard to beat Last Crusade in my book, not really Temple of Doom either).

Kingsley

I am confident.
Raiders had the handicap over ToD and LC that we didn't knew who that misterious archaeologist was.

Now we know, but 20 years in a life of a person is a lot, so we probably need to get to know him again.
And in the end, the worsest that could happen is that we can get a flawed movie, a complacent movie, but not a cheap movie.

jtobin13

optomist

i think itll be good from what i've seen..Kingsly knows what im talking about,jt nuff said:sleep: :sleep: :gun: :gun: Dont you have any confidence in the script?????

jtobin13

commontone

A more apt comparison than TPM is Godfather Part III. I hope it doesn't turn out like that, either...but I'm fairly confident the movie will be at least a "B+", if not a total classic. I highly doubt it will be less than decent.

As evidenced by multiple quotes of those involved, and things like the Comic Con broadcast, they (Spielberg, Karen Allen, Harrison, Shia, Cate Blanchett, John Williams) seem to be quite thrilled to be making this film, and are having a great time. That counts for a lot--at the very least, they're personally invested in it and giving it their all. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps the chances that the film will turn out well.

They took years and years developing the project (screenplay) to a level that they all agreed would be worthwhile. This is not an off-the-cuff endeavor.

Both John Hurt and Cate Blanchett, very respected actors, neither of whom had worked with Spielberg before, are vocal about how masterfully he's making this film. Niether of them are publicity hounds by any stretch; Cate Blanchett in particular is quite private and down to earth. I tend to have confidence that their opinions are genuine.

My point is, by all accounts the film is going very well. With the possible exception of "War Of The Worlds" Spielberg has been on a roll in recent years, IMO. He had some "huh...?" type movies pre-Schindler's List, but since then he hasn't made a film that was less than decent. At the very least, even if the story and acting end up sucking (which they won't) Indy 4 will be *very* competently made.

I could keep going, but I see so many reasons to have confidence in the production, and few to doubt anything (at this point). For me, the debates about Ford's age, the specific plot lines, et al are futile and largely groundless. It will work out, I believe.

commontone said:
They took years and years developing the project (screenplay) to a level that they all agreed would be worthwhile. This is not an off-the-cuff endeavor.

What? It's entirely an "off-the-cuff endeavor." Georgey and Stevey wanted to cash in before Harrison got too old. Hell, Harrison even said that were it not made by 2008... there'd be no Indy 4 for him.

...and then all the sudden, what do we have? And announcement for Indy 4 in 2008. Gee, what a crazy coincidence.:rolleyes:

Michael24

If they all wanted to just "cash in," they would have just made a fourth film years ago with the first script they got, regardless if it was "great" or not.

The length of time it's taken to get this far shows how much they were all wanting to wait and wait, go through draft after draft, until they finally got "the one." If anything, Harrison's comments likely just got them to buckle down and concentrate on getting "the one."

Michael24 said:
If they all wanted to just "cash in," they would have just made a fourth film years ago with the first script they got, regardless if it was "great" or not.

The length of time it's taken to get this far shows how much they were all wanting to wait and wait, go through draft after draft, until they finally got "the one." If anything, Harrison's comments likely just got them to buckle down and concentrate on getting "the one."

Weak argument--look at all the films making a "comeback" right now. All the old franchises. It's a quick buck and everyone's realizing it. The sequels and comeback films are hotcakes right now. Indy is no exception. And the fact that this is the last shot is a double-motivator.

For the record... I expect this film to suck. But I am going to give it a fair shot.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
commontone said:
Both John Hurt and Cate Blanchett, very respected actors, neither of whom had worked with Spielberg before, are vocal about how masterfully he's making this film. Niether of them are publicity hounds by any stretch; Cate Blanchett in particular is quite private and down to earth. I tend to have confidence that their opinions are genuine.

They haven't worked with him before; just so. Yes, they've worked with very, very good directors in the past, to be sure, with Miss Blanchett earning her Academy Award for work she did with Martin Scorcese. Nevertheless, one suspects that Spielberg will seem to be directing rather well at any end of his own spectrum. That doesn't change the possibility that this will be one of his lesser efforts.

Niteshade007

I too am willing to give this a fair shot, but I don't think the argument that everyone seems really excited about this movie is good enough to make me think that this movie will disappoint. I mean, it's a project that they are working on, one that will make them money, if they give the film bad press before it even comes out, the film wouldn't have a chance of success. No one wants to say bad things about a movie their working on. And it's not as if they could just not respond when asked a direct question about the film. Imagine Cate Blanchett staring blankly at an interviewer after he asks "So, what do you think of the new Indiana Jones film?" She has to say something, why not hype it up?

Kingsley

Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
look at all the films making a "comeback" right now. All the old franchises. It's a quick buck and everyone's realizing it.
They are developing this movie since years... If Lucas had accepted Darabonts Script, Indy 4 would have been filmed 2 o 3 years ago.

I don't know since when movies like Die Hard 4.0 or Rocky where in the talks, but the quick buck isn't the main reason they are doing this film.
Knowing your opinions and taste regarding movies or music, I too think probably Indy 4 will suck for you. That doesn't mean it will suck for everybody.