Trenches of Hell

Was this a good episode?
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASg0H-XsQ5E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASg0H-XsQ5E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Stoo

It sure as HELL is a good episode. One of the best and the scene you posted is my favourite part! Love the creepy image of the flamethrowers off in the hazy distance and those terrifying, death-delivering lancers on horseback.:eek:

Since I still look at series as individual episodes, the "Somme" chapter is in my top 5. If you're looking for action and threatening situations, this one has it in spades.

Insomniac

I'd say it makes the top five.
The scene where very influential on Indy thru out the rest of the war and just simply added a darker feeling behind the war years!

phantom train

I fully agree - "Trenches of Hell" and "The Somme" were some of the best (maybe the best) episodes of YIJC. Out of all of the movies/TV shows I've seen about WW I, these are by far the best depiction of this conflict. You almost feel as if you're there, and that is extremely difficult to do in a network TV show. Great stuff, and I think these episodes are worthy of being shown in a high school/college history class about WW I (if they aren't being used in this way already).

phantom train said:
I fully agree - "Trenches of Hell" and "The Somme" were some of the best (maybe the best) episodes of YIJC. Out of all of the movies/TV shows I've seen about WW I, these are by far the best depiction of this conflict. You almost feel as if you're there, and that is extremely difficult to do in a network TV show. Great stuff, and I think these episodes are worthy of being shown in a high school/college history class about WW I (if they aren't being used in this way already).

Does he meet JRR Tolkien there? I know he fought in The Battle of the Somme...

Stoo

No, he doesn't cross paths with Tolkien but he does meet another British author/poet. Even though the Battle of the Somme lasted about 4-5 months, Indy was there for just roughly 2 weeks. The ONLY time British troops are seen in the European trenches are in the new, opening shots of "Verdun/Demons of Deception".

(Without telling too much, there is a part when Indy & Remy are on leave in a village together with the British. You can pick out any one of those soldiers and pretend that it's J.R.R.:D What regiment was Tolkien in?)

You should watch the whole episode, Rocket. It's very, very...very, very, good!:;) (Read that in a John Cleese-type-of-voice.)

P.S. Crack that whip beat me to it!:whip:

Stoo said:
No, he doesn't cross paths with Tolkien but he does meet another British author/poet. Even though the Battle of the Somme lasted about 4-5 months, Indy was there for just roughly 2 weeks. The ONLY time British troops are seen in the European trenches are in the new, opening shots of "Verdun/Demons of Deception".

(Without telling too much, there is a part when Indy & Remy are on leave in a village together with the British. You can pick out any one of those soldiers and pretend that it's J.R.R.:D What regiment was Tolkien in?)

You should watch the whole episode, Rocket. It's very, very...very, very, good!:;) (Read that in a John Cleese-type-of-voice.)

P.S. Crack that whip beat me to it!:whip:

11th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

Can you guess what THIS is?
tolkien-revolver.jpg

Webley .455 Mark VI revolver carried by Second Lieutenant JRR Tolkien during his service with the 11th Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers on the Somme.

In June 1916 Tolkien went to France and was posted to the 11th Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers. From July onwards his battalion went in and out of the line along the northern sector of the Somme. He occupied front line trenches in Beaumont-Hamel, Serre and the Leipzig Salient. On 28 September they undertook a successful raid against the Pope’s Nose opposite Thiepval and on 21 October helped to capture Regina Trench. For both of these actions, Tolkien served as Battalion Signalling Officer.

At the end of October, weighed down by weeks of tension and wretched conditions, Tolkien contracted trench fever and was sent back to hospital in Birmingham. He remained unfit for the rest of the war.

Insomniac

Rocket Surgeon said:
In June 1916 Tolkien went to France and was posted to the 11th Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers. From July onwards his battalion went in and out of the line along the northern sector of the Somme. He occupied front line trenches in Beaumont-Hamel, Serre and the Leipzig Salient. On 28 September they undertook a successful raid against the Pope?s Nose opposite Thiepval and on 21 October helped to capture Regina Trench. For both of these actions, Tolkien served as Battalion Signalling Officer.

At the end of October, weighed down by weeks of tension and wretched conditions, Tolkien contracted trench fever and was sent back to hospital in Birmingham. He remained unfit for the rest of the war.
I never knew Tolkien served explains the creativity and depth of the battles in Lord of the Rings.

Thanks for the tidbit.

Insomniac said:
I never knew Tolkien served explains the creativity and depth of the battles in Lord of the Rings.

Thanks for the tidbit.

Cheers!

Stoo, in light of this new information, any idea if they possibly crossed paths?

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
He occupied front line trenches in Beaumont-Hamel, Serre and the Leipzig Salient. On 28 September they undertook a successful raid against the Pope?s Nose opposite Thiepval and on 21 October helped to capture Regina Trench. For both of these actions, Tolkien served as Battalion Signalling Officer.
Signals, eh? Hmmm...if Tolkien was at Verdun there's a chance...This is getting off-topic but since Tolkein was at Beaumont Hamel then he fought alongside the Newfoundland Regiment. (That's for Peru1936, if he's reading it.;))
Rocket Surgeon said:
Stoo, in light of this new information, any idea if they possibly crossed paths?
More scrutiny is required but it's *possible* (as opposed to probable). I'll have to check to see if there are any Lancashire Fusiliers at the village. Have you managed to see the entire episode yet?
Stoo said:
The ONLY time British troops are seen in the European trenches are in the new, opening shots of "Verdun/Demons of Deception".
Now that I think about it, they could be Canadians because their uniforms were almost identical.:p

A sad loss on the DVD is Old Indy's introduction to this episode. "It happened...by a little river called The Somme!" (cue: loud train whistle "Tuhwooooot!")

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Signals, eh? Hmmm...if Tolkien was at Verdun there's a chance...This is getting off-topic but since Tolkein was at Beaumont Hamel then he fought alongside the Newfoundland Regiment. (That's for Peru1936, if he's reading it.;))
More scrutiny is required but it's *possible* (as opposed to probable). I'll have to check to see if there are any Lancashire Fusiliers at the village. Have you managed to see the entire episode yet?
Now that I think about it, they could be Canadians because their uniforms were almost identical.:p

A sad loss on the DVD is Old Indy's introduction to this episode. "It happened...by a little river called The Somme!" (cue: loud train whistle "Tuhwooooot!")

You see British troops in the trenchs at the start of the Peacocks eye episode. I believe the commanding officer is the guy from "run fat boy run"

Stoo

dr.jones1986 said:
You see British troops in the trenchs at the start of the Peacocks eye episode.
You're right, '86.:hat: I totally forgot about them! (Never saw, "Run Fat Boy Run" but like the title.)

@Rocket, I'll have to check on Tokien's birthdate to see how old he was in 1916. Have you watched the whole episode yet?

Stoo said:
You're right, '86.:hat: I totally forgot about them! (Never saw, "Run Fat Boy Run" but like the title.)

@Rocket, I'll have to check on Tokien's birthdate to see how old he was in 1916. Have you watched the whole episode yet?

Not yet...does it exist in it's original broadast form or am I stuck with the "revised" versions?

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:

I actually just watched Trenches of Hell yesterday in honor of Armistice day or as we call it in the states, Veterans Day. Stoo, I noticed that there is snow on the ground and there is also snow on the ground in the next episode "demons of deception". Isnt it supposed to be like Aug/early fall of 16 when these two episodes are set. Ive never been to France but this seems way to early to have snow on the ground.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Not yet...does it exist in it's original broadast form or am I stuck with the "revised" versions?
The original 2 episodes exist, legitimately, on an old Euro VHS (and possibly on Japanese laserdisc). The differences between the new version and the old are relatively minor. Anyway, if you're itching to see the original versions then perhaps I can help you. ("Say no more. Nudge nudge. Grin grin. A nod's as good as wink to blind bat!";))

Re: Tolkien in the "Somme" episode...believe it or not, there are some contenders!:D
dr.jones1986 said:
I actually just watched Trenches of Hell yesterday in honor of Armistice day or as we call it in the states, Veterans Day. Stoo, I noticed that there is snow on the ground and there is also snow on the ground in the next episode "demons of deception". Isnt it supposed to be like Aug/early fall of 16 when these two episodes are set. Ive never been to France but this seems way to early to have snow on the ground.
Good to hear, dr.jones1986.:hat: Canadians know it as Rememberance Day and I recently re-watched the 1979 TV version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" for the 1st time in awhile. As I suspected, not only did "Verdun/Demons of Deception" use footage from this film but so did "Germany/TRENCHES OF HELL"!:eek::eek:

About the snow...yeah, August is way too early. My guess is that Simon Wincer was going for the bleak, dead look of bare trees in late autumn and harsh, cold atmosphere of the battlefields. (Either that or the month hadn't been decided upon while they were shooting it.) Anyway, good eye, '86!

Another thread about the 1st part of "Trenches of Hell": Ep. 8: Somme, Early August 1916

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
The original 2 episodes exist, legitimately, on an old Euro VHS (and possibly on Japanese laserdisc). The differences between the new version and the old are relatively minor. Anyway, if you're itching to see the original versions then perhaps I can help you. ("Say no more. Nudge nudge. Grin grin. A nod's as good as wink to blind bat!";))

Re: Tolkien in the "Somme" episode...believe it or not, there are some contenders!:D
Good to hear, dr.jones1986.:hat: Canadians know it as Rememberance Day and I recently re-watched the 1979 TV version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" for the 1st time in awhile. As I suspected, not only did "Verdun/Demons of Deception" use footage from this film but so did "Germany/TRENCHES OF HELL"!:eek::eek:

About the snow...yeah, August is way too early. My guess is that Simon Wincer was going for the bleak, dead look of bare trees in late autumn and harsh, cold atmosphere of the battlefields. (Either that or the month hadn't been decided upon while they were shooting it.) Anyway, good eye, '86!

Another thread about the 1st part of "Trenches of Hell": Ep. 8: Somme, Early August 1916

ya i think the filming schedule messed a few episodes up. I noticed during the Russian Revolution segment that it appears to be snowing, even though its supposed to be set during the July Revolution of 1917. Russia is cold, but not that cold...but I guess when your filming as epic a project as young indy, you do what you have to do.

Stoo said:

Re: Tolkien in the "Somme" episode...believe it or not, there are some contenders!:D[/URL]

As some might confirm, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!;) (What's it like?);)

I've been listening to Vol 0 and getting a kick out of the shifts in mood from one track to the next.

Young Indy on the Big Screen?

No...but Stoo might be looking forward to a Spielberg treatment to WWI...

Like he hasn't killed enough Germans on screen...this time it's not Nazis though.

MICHAEL Morpurgo’s children’s tale about a Devon boy who braves the trenches of the First World War in the hope of finding his beloved horse is destined for Hollywood.

It has emerged Steven Spielberg has bought the film rights to War Horse, the hugely popular book that became a massive West End hit.

Mr Morpurgo, who wrote the 1982 novel after moving to a farm in Iddesleigh, near Winkleigh, welcomed the news that his story was being developed by the director and producer behind Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan and ET.

He said: “After such a fantastic success with the play, it needs someone of his imagination and skill at turning books into great visual experiences for the film version.”

The director said he had been deeply moved by the story of a young boy who follows the horse to the Western Front in 1914. He added that he had known that he wanted to make the story into a film from the moment he read it.

“Its heart and its message provide a story that can be felt in every country,” he said.