Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Daley

Indy's brother said:
These are great screenshots! In fact, I could be mistaken, but is that film grain I see in the ark?

It IS film grain!! Isn't it wonderful! I really loathe DVD and Blu-Ray releases that have no film grain - it's a major part of the actual film and it holds detail too!:D

TheMutt92

Well, Jurassic Park has officially been announced for Blu-Ray. Here's hoping that somehow through the grapevine that means we'll be getting Indy. Although as far as bonus material I don't whether to be excited or worried at the prospects. On the one hand, this could be the definitive set, w/ every previous feature plus new HD material. On the other hand, it could what were getting w/ the SW Blu-Rays: bonus material that's nice to have, but for the most park isn't necessary and lacks substantial features from previous releases (case in point: a documentary on the 501st over Empire of Dreams reissue).

Darth Vile

TheMutt92 said:
Well, Jurassic Park has officially been announced for Blu-Ray. Here's hoping that somehow through the grapevine that means we'll be getting Indy. Although as far as bonus material I don't whether to be excited or worried at the prospects. On the one hand, this could be the definitive set, w/ every previous feature plus new HD material. On the other hand, it could what were getting w/ the SW Blu-Rays: bonus material that's nice to have, but for the most park isn't necessary and lacks substantial features from previous releases (case in point: a documentary on the 501st over Empire of Dreams reissue).

What? Have you seen all the deleted scenes we'll be getting on the Star Wars BR's? That's worth it for the price alone...

Sharkey

Darth Vile said:
What? Have you seen all the deleted scenes we'll be getting on the Star Wars BR's? That's worth it for the price alone...
Don't get your panties in a bunch, Mutt's just trying to up his "Indy Posts."

TheMutt92

Darth Vile said:

The deleted scenes I'm excited for. But to me the overall package doesn't feel like the definitive version Lucas and others promised us on that would appear on the next generation platform (Blu-Ray). Something tells me in another ten years (or less) we'll be getting an announcement of a newer Blu-Ray release.

Sharkey

TheMutt92 said:
The deleted scenes I'm excited for. But to me the overall package doesn't feel like the definitive version Lucas and others promised us on that would appear on the next generation platform (Blu-Ray). Something tells me in another ten years (or less) we'll be getting an announcement of a newer Blu-Ray release.
Maybe it'll be like Jurassic Park!:rolleyes:

Darth Vile

TheMutt92 said:

I'm sure Blu Rays won't be around in 10 years... so if he ain't gonna do it now, it will have to wait for the streamed versions... ;)

INCUBUSRATM

Forget Blu-Ray. I'm tired of how fast the formats are changing these days (seems like just yesterday DVD became the standard). So I refuse to buy Blu-Rays. DVDs are cheaper and really I can't tell much of a difference. My entire movie collection (an entire bookcase) is all DVD. Took my years to get all of my VHS tapes switched out with its DVD counterpart. So I'm just going to stick with my DVD collection. Saves me money, and it's a more widely accepted format. I feel that the next format will just be digital copies that you purchase online. So why go buy Blu-Rays of everything? Even Apple realizes this, as Steve Jobs refuses to make Macs Blu-Ray compatible. He understands that online purchasing is the future (really it's how it is now already, but it will soon become the standard). It also supports what they're trying to do with the iTunes Store, so of course he supports it, haha. I myself like to have physical copies of everything, but I do understand digital purchasing will become the norm someday.

Montana Smith

INCUBUSRATM said:
Forget Blu-Ray. I'm tired of how fast the formats are changing these days (seems like just yesterday DVD became the standard). So I refuse to buy Blu-Rays. DVDs are cheaper and really I can't tell much of a difference.

I'm of much of the same opinion. I probably have around 600 DVDs and one Blu-Ray. The single BR is KOTCS, and it wasn't noticeably improved over the DVD. (And it still had a wooden script, Mutt and CGI monkeys :p )

INCUBUSRATM said:
I feel that the next format will just be digital copies that you purchase online.

That's a horrible thought. I like DVDs in the same way as I like books. They sit on shelves in a library, but each one contains a world on a disc.

Darth Vile

INCUBUSRATM said:
Forget Blu-Ray. I'm tired of how fast the formats are changing these days (seems like just yesterday DVD became the standard). So I refuse to buy Blu-Rays. DVDs are cheaper and really I can't tell much of a difference.
I feel that the next format will just be digital copies that you purchase online.

Montana Smith said:
I'm of much of the same opinion. I probably have around 600 DVDs and one Blu-Ray. The single BR is KOTCS, and it wasn't noticeably improved over the DVD.

Unfortunately it's not just about the disc and the player... I've spent literally thousands getting a pretty good home cinema set up. With the right kit (specifically top of the range TV and amp/speakers) the difference between DVD and Blu Ray is pretty staggering. Not quite the leap between video and DVD... but pretty close nonetheless.

And yes I'd agree - I'm pretty sure that in circa 5 years time, most media will be streamed and we'll probably be watching movies the same way many are now listening to music i.e. via computers and/or other portable type devises.

Dr. Gonzo

Darth Vile said:
the difference between DVD and Blu Ray is pretty staggering. Not quite the leap between video and DVD... but pretty close nonetheless.

And yes I'd agree - I'm pretty sure that in circa 5 years time, most media will be streamed and we'll probably be watching movies the same way many are now listening to music i.e. via computers and/or other portable type devises.

Thanks to Jim Jannard and his "RED" digital cinema company the next leap will probably be something like "Red Ray". Honestly. High Def is 1080p. Theses Red images are doing 4 to 5k. The Hobbit and the Spiderman reboot are being shot on the red epic which shoots 5k. It will be a while because people are still getting used to blu-ray but mark my words... the next step is 5k.

INCUBUSRATM

Montana Smith- I feel the same way. My bookcase full of DVDs is my pride and joy. People come over and can't help but stand there and check them all out. Such a conversation starter.

Darth Vile- I only wish I had thousands to spend on a home theatre system. You must have quite the job. Unfortunately I am a poor college student.

Darth Vile

Dr. Gonzo said:
Thanks to Jim Jannard and his "RED" digital cinema company the next leap will probably be something like "Red Ray". Honestly. High Def is 1080p. Theses Red images are doing 4 to 5k. The Hobbit and the Spiderman reboot are being shot on the red epic which shoots 5k. It will be a while because people are still getting used to blu-ray but mark my words... the next step is 5k.

It's always a fine line... but I'm not sure there is much more mileage in pushing the quality of image even further for home cinema. At some point it ceases to be cost effective. What I currently get at home is better, with existing technology, than most cinemas I frequent. When watching football/tennis etc. at home, you can actually make out the detail in a blade of grass - the current technology of HD/Blu Ray is that good.

In order for any upgrade to be viable they have to make the benefit tangible, affordbale and accesible to everyday consumers rather than just the rich. I just don't see that at the momemt (although I'm sure there are numerous execs out there putting business plans together as we speak).

INCUBUSRATM said:
Darth Vile- I only wish I had thousands to spend on a home theatre system. You must have quite the job. Unfortunately I am a poor college student.
I love cinema - so it's an expensive past time if you like your technology like I do. ;)

Indy's brother said:
I saw on theraider.net's Facebook page I went to Geektime's site, but was unable to listen for the direct quote. :hat:

"Frank Marshall, the producer of all 4 films, was on "Geek Time" and said the transfers for the blu-rays are done and approved by Spielberg with modifications. All he said was changed was the brightness during the jungle chase at the beginning of the film. Spielberg felt it was too dark. He gave no release date..."

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
"Frank Marshall, the producer of all 4 films, was on "Geek Time" and said the transfers for the blu-rays are done and approved by Spielberg with modifications. All he said was changed was the brightness during the jungle chase at the beginning of the film. Spielberg felt it was too dark. He gave no release date..."

Huh. Of all the things to toy with, that seems an odd choice. So does this mean that this scene will not be in the Blu-ray? I guess it depends on whether the author meant

All [that] he said was changed

All he said was changed

Or it could mean that Frank is full of crap. Or doesn't know what he's talking about. Or that this Dargo character is full of crap. Or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Not that it's worth my picking of nits, really. But I'm bored and I want these discs in my hand. I will say that I've always noticed the darkness of that opening scene, but I just thought it added to the impact of the world's first "Indy Reveal". Won't kill me to brighten it up a touch, though.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
I will say that I've always noticed the darkness of that opening scene, but I just thought it added to the impact of the world's first "Indy Reveal". Won't kill me to brighten it up a touch, though.

I'll reserve judgement until I see em... but I've never felt that Raiders needed any type of colour correction.

INCUBUSRATM

Darth Vile said:
I'll reserve judgement until I see em... but I've never felt that Raiders needed any type of colour correction.

Totally agreed.

Please Spielberg and Lucas, stop fudging up our classics!