Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy86

DoomsdayFAN said:
I absolutely hated Jurassic World and Age of Ultron. Both were terrible beyond words. That being said, I popped in KOTCS the other day just to check it out, and holy crap was it bad. I literally cannot believe one of, if not the, greatest filmmakers in the history of film put out such garbage. It felt like everyone was going through the motions, most especially John Williams. It was just mind numbingly bad and it's a major embarrassment to the OT. I've made up my mind that I will literally never watch it in conjunction with the OT because it will ruin the experience. If I ever watch it again (probably will but it'll be several years before I go there again) it'll be on it's own. Ironically, that's exactly what I did this time (I haven't seen the OT in probably 2 years) and KOTCS was still awful, even on its own.

Jurassic World: 0/10 - It was utterly abysmal
Age of Ultron: 0/10 - Abject farce
KOTCS: 2 or 3/10. It was definitely not a good movie at all.
Well, even Spielberg misses once in a while to bad it happened with Indy. John Williams made too happy music for my taste in that movie. Jurassic World was indeed a disaster.

Indy Jones

DoomsdayFAN said:
I absolutely hated Jurassic World and Age of Ultron. Both were terrible beyond words. That being said, I popped in KOTCS the other day just to check it out, and holy crap was it bad. I literally cannot believe one of, if not the, greatest filmmakers in the history of film put out such garbage. It felt like everyone was going through the motions, most especially John Williams. It was just mind numbingly bad and it's a major embarrassment to the OT. I've made up my mind that I will literally never watch it in conjunction with the OT because it will ruin the experience. If I ever watch it again (probably will but it'll be several years before I go there again) it'll be on it's own. Ironically, that's exactly what I did this time (I haven't seen the OT in probably 2 years) and KOTCS was still awful, even on its own.

In your opinion.

Raiders90

Since KOTCS opened up to Hound Dog, maybe the new movie can open with Indy, Mutt, and Marion watching The Beatles' first Ed Sullivan performance on TV. Go full Lucas.

DoomsdayFAN said:

John Williams has gone through the motions for the past decade or so. I think his last great score was probably for the first Harry Potter film, or maybe even Phantom Menace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Face_Melt

The Force Awakens was fantastic. Rey's theme is one of the best in years, and Kylos is pretty great too.

DoomsdayFAN

Moedred said:
1005 days away. Almost light at the end of the tunnel!

God, I hope John Williams is still alive and able to compose music by then. Hell, I hope Spielberg and Ford are still doing good then too. :eek:

I just don't understand why this has a 2019 date and not a 2018 date. July 2018 should be easy to hit.

Olliana

My thoughts exactly. Ford looks great in those Blade Runner 2049 promos, but who knows whatever will be two years from now. Qué será, será.

DoomsdayFAN

Moedred said:
My apologies if these videos from spring have been posted. If you want snarky commentary read to you by a pretty girl, you could do worse.
http://nerdist.com/indiana-jones-5-steven-spielberg-harrison-ford-2019-nerdist-news
http://nerdist.com/frank-marshall-says-indiana-jones-5-will-be-a-continuation-of-the-crystal-skull

Good vids. Gives me hope. The thing that got me most excited was "We all saw what happened last time Spielberg made a movie to apologize for the previous entry. We got Last Crusade."

Now more than ever I hope Spielberg makes a film to apologize for the last. Would be awesome.

Btw, I love ToD. No apology necessary for that one. But he definitely needs to apologize DOUBLE for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

kevster

Collider spoke with Koep about Indy 5, interesting read:

Collider own Steve Weintraub recently spoke with Koepp for an exclusive interview in anticipation of the release of Inferno (which Koepp wrote), the conversation obviously turned to Indy 5.

Koepp said he?s hard at work on writing the script for Indiana Jones 5, but one big question that loomed over the film was whether Lucas would be involved. The way the franchise worked in that past was that Lucas would come up with the idea for the movie and Spielberg would execute it. When Indy 5 was announced, Lucas? name was nowhere to be found. Spielberg subsequently said Lucas would serve as an executive producer on the film, but in speaking with Koepp, the screenwriter revealed that Lucas is not involved in the story of Indiana Jones 5:

?He?s not, to my knowledge. I?ve had no contact with him.?

That?s certainly a curious revelation, as it marks a first for the franchise. Some may find this development promising as it was Lucas?s insistence that Indiana Jones 4 tackle the concept of aliens in the 1950s setting that made the film so tough to crack. Indeed, a number of screenwriters worked on the Last Crusade follow-up before the script was in a place that made Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford all happy, and thus Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was born.

As the credited screenwriter on Crystal Skull, Steve asked Koepp what he thinks they learned from that film that may have informed the approach they?re taking for Indiana Jones 5. As it turns out, it?s all about the MacGuffin:

?I think that what [Indy] looks for and when he looks for it dictates what the movie?s gonna be. So the selection of the MacGuffin is everything. I think Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, being set in 1957 there was a conscious desire to say, ?Much like two of the other ones were World War II movies set in the 30s and early 40s, this is ?57 so a lot of our influences are gonna be science-fiction movies.? You got that with the original [script], Jeb Stuart took the first shot at it with Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars. That was a really conscious decision that dictated a lot about what the story would be and what the movie would be like, and I think that was followed through on really nicely. I thought Steve did a really good job with that. I don?t know that the idea was most suited to an Indiana Jones movie, but that was what we did. So we tried to be very careful with the selection of the MacGuffin and the eras to give ourselves as much latitude to make the best kind of Indiana Jones movie that we most want to see. Learning how that?s the importance of the choice of the MacGuffin is a big deal.?

As for what else Koepp learned from Crystal Skull, he noted that not repeating past mistakes is obvious, but reiterated that they really focused on the MacGuffin?i.e. what Indy is trying to get?this time around and making sure that fit with what kind of Indiana Jones movie they wanted to make:

?It?s hard because you can learn like if something maybe didn?t work as well as you think it would well we certainly wouldn?t do that again, but you wouldn?t have done that again anyway, you already did it, so it?s hard to say. For me it was the MacGuffin dictates everything, and so we tried to make the best possible choice we could. Not that nobody didn?t try to make the best choice that they could in the past, but we tried to give us the one that gave us the Indiana Jones movie we most wanted to see.?

In terms of progress, Koepp gave a tongue-in-cheek story update for Indy 5:

?I?m deeply immersed as we speak. All I can say is that there?s lots of aliens and Indy dies at the end (laughs). Lots of hiding in lead-lined refrigerators, aliens, and he dies. Should go over very well.?

Steve asked Koepp if the film feels like it?s really going to happen, and he acknowledged there?s plenty of momentum behind this particular idea:

?Yes, it does. It feels like it has a lot of momentum behind it. We have ?top men? working on it as we speak (laughs). No, it?s going really well. I really like our idea; I think it?s clean and simple and makes a lot of sense, and I feel like the writing is going really well.?

Koepp declined to reveal the origin of this particular story idea, only saying that it was hatched by he and Spielberg. With regards to when filming might begin, Koepp is hopeful for 2017 but is also aware that Spielberg?s a busy guy:

?That?s a tough one, I hope so. It?s certainly OK for me and I?ll be ready, but my schedule isn?t the tough one. So I think October?I hope, I hope so. We?ll see. That?s a hard one to answer.?

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-george-lucas-david-koepp/#harrison-ford

Stoo

DoomsdayFAN said:
Good vids.
Did you like the part where she says that Spielberg was "so heavily involved" with the Young Indy TV series? This is total hogwash. Where is the "Nerdists" fact-checker? :rolleyes:

DoomsdayFAN

All I can say for the new Indy movie is please be good. Please be satisfying.

Stoo said:
Did you like the part where she says that Spielberg was "so heavily involved" with the Young Indy TV series? This is total hogwash. Where is the "Nerdists" fact-checker? :rolleyes:

lol, I remembered hearing that and not thinking anything of it. Now that you mention it..... :rolleyes:

I just hope Spielberg realizes how much people hated KOTCS and he tries to rectify it. :whip:

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Can't say I'm particularly excited about Lucas's non-involvement, however. Wonder what sort of mythology Spielberg and Koepp are able to cook up on their own.

Perhaps it's early days yet, but there's also arguably some room for Koepp to bone up on the filmed chronology, which has yet to include any scenes set in the 1940s.

DoomsdayFAN said:
I just hope Spielberg realizes how much people hated KOTCS and he tries to rectify it. :whip:

Knowing the movie has flaws means nothing without properly identifying what those flaws were. This is more of the same old, same old "aliens and nuclear fridges are to blame" nonsense that is seen in various fan outlets.

IndyForever

Lucas will be involved somewhere. Spielberg would not even make the movie without his blessing or creative involvement. Its most likely Lucas ideas Koepp is working from without even knowing it!

Koepp at best can piece together other peoples ideas but he is not an ideas man & never has been somewhere Lucas is laughing at his 3 decades old Lucasfilm Indy archive being used indirectly to craft Indy 5 :whip:

Lucas had for years somewhere working fulltime on research for the Indy movies (Deborah Fine I believe) all through the 1980s-early 1990's. You can bet Spielberg got access to that as Indy movies tend to recycle previous unused concepts-ideas :hat:

Status
Not open for further replies.