Where is "Shia is Indy's son" confirmed?

sarah navarro

Matinee Idyll said:
If you look at the latest photos, it's pretty creepy how much Shia looks like Karen and Harrisons kid.

he definitly does look like he could be there kid but, what if hes BELLOQ'S child ...hey you never know what happened on that long submarine trip.

rogelio

I believe harrison spoiled the whole thing in the video when he helped Karen to finish her sentence... "happy to be back..." and then he said "as a family".. then Spielberg geve him a look like, dude! you just mentioned the main part of the story!!,.. did you guys noticed that?

AHegele

rogelio said:
I believe harrison spoiled the whole thing in the video when he helped Karen to finish her sentence... "happy to be back..." and then he said "as a family".. then Spielberg geve him a look like, dude! you just mentioned the main part of the story!!,.. did you guys noticed that?

Well Spielberg has always said the crew of indy has been like his family, I don't see how it is any different, besides, Ray Winstone was there too.

sarah navarro

rogelio said:

i noticed it ...harrison thanks for the big spoiler :(

what did steven say to recover that , i know he said something

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
rogelio said:

Wow. I read that in the transcripts. I didn't know however that Speilberg threw a look like that. I'm still yet to watch the videos as I'm on dial up right now.

AHegele

after looking at the comic con footage again, Spielberg looks at ford but i dont think he really looks upset or "wtf mate". Not saying Shia isn't their child, but I think Harrison and Spielberg both didn't think of it in that context.

Spielberg didn't seem upset. He just went with it and talked about how they're all older and richer. Even that reference to family doesn't prove the point, although it seems VERY likely.

NonStop

So it isn't confirmed? If it was, I suppose that would destroy continuity (I'm right in saying that it is mentioned in TYIC that Indy has a daughter)?

No Ticket

I think it would be funny if he is not at all related to either Marion OR Indy and was just some kid Indy knows. I would rather it be like a mentor relationship I think than literally being his son.

OldIndy2323

"how 'bout a drink" led to Shia

It's not official yet, but there sure is alot of evidence. Shia's character, who could be named "Abner" after Marion's supposedly dead father, and who takes the nickname "Mutt", could be concieved after that "one drink" at the end of "Raiders". That would make him 20 in 1957, the perfect age to be hanging around a college. And the fact that "Abner"/"Mutt" exists doesn't stop Indy from having his daughter; as long as she's born no later than 1959, to match up with his daughter's appearance on YIJC ("Ireland 1916). In fact, for Indy's granddaugher and great grandson to appear in YIJC ("China 1910), "Abner"/"Mutt" needs to have a daughter no late than 1959 as well; not inconceivable for the culture of the late '50's.

NileQT87

mmm, actually the only time it can be proved that they slept together is on the bantu wind (besides 10 years earlier). in fact, it is implied that indy falling asleep was fake, as marion is WITHOUT HER DRESS the next morning, and grabs it with a smile on her face after indy puts his clothes back on. if indy had just fallen asleep, it would have been kind of pointless for marion to take off her dress.

but yes, after the drink is another option, but imo, the more romantic and most implied is on the bantu wind.

i'm still hoping for henry jones III and he just doesn't know the last name and is only told that the kid's name is mutt. i mean, hello. i think marion knew who the daddy of her baby was. also--abner is just far too cruel to a kid. lol. henry is acceptable. if abner was his real name, his name wouldn't be abner ravenwood, jr., it'd be abner jones. yeesh.

could it possibly be he finds out during that "pivotal chase scene" through bedford? i mean, marion has to come back into the story pretty early on, and that would definitely force a confrontation.

my thoughts are that maybe they have to go rescue abner or something. notice john hurt and cate blanchett aren't working in the same group portions as harrison, karen, shia and mac. i bet cate's character has abner. that would explain why john hurt wasn't in the group--because a lot of his scenes might be separate.

i think it is pretty safe to say that all the young indy bookends minus harrison ford's appearance are officially moot. why the need to force indy to have a daughter because the not-so-canon tv series said so before they needed him to have a son for the official canon movies?

spiralout

NileQT87 said:
mmm, actually the only time it can be proved that they slept together is on the bantu wind (besides 10 years earlier). in fact, it is implied that indy falling asleep was fake, as marion is WITHOUT HER DRESS the next morning, and grabs it with a smile on her face after indy puts his clothes back on. if indy had just fallen asleep, it would have been kind of pointless for marion to take off her dress.

Why would she sleep in her dress?

NileQT87

it's a slinky satin nightdress. why would she take it off and put it next to the bed if nothing happened after indy "fell asleep". imo, the fact that she was undressed the next morning is plenty of information.

Niteshade007

NileQT87 said:

I've always liked that nod to old films. Since they used to not be able to get away with people having sex on screen, they would subtly make it obvious to the audience that the characters "did the deed," without outright showing it. To a censor of yore, Indy being asleep would mean that the two did not have sex. However, the following morning, when she grabs her dress, it is a clear indication to the audience that they did. Subtle, but very effective.

AHegele

NileQT87 said:
i think it is pretty safe to say that all the young indy bookends minus harrison ford's appearance are officially moot. why the need to force indy to have a daughter because the not-so-canon tv series said so before they needed him to have a son for the official canon movies?

I agree. In my opinion the Young Indy series should not block Spielberg's vision for what he wants.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Niteshade007 said:
I've always liked that nod to old films. Since they used to not be able to get away with people having sex on screen, they would subtly make it obvious to the audience that the characters "did the deed," without outright showing it. To a censor of yore, Indy being asleep would mean that the two did not have sex. However, the following morning, when she grabs her dress, it is a clear indication to the audience that they did. Subtle, but very effective.

Agreed. That's the way I see it.

misnomer

AHegele said:
I agree. In my opinion the Young Indy series should not block Spielberg's vision for what he wants.

exactly. it wasnt a series that caught the world on fire, if theres no daughter in the movieverse, theres no daughter. simple as that. although this thread still remains unsolved. I really dont think well know until the time were sitting in the theater...if chud is correct and shia is revealed as the son, then thats a surprise theyre not going to set out to spoil beforehand.