Indy IV - - The Success of the Film

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Agreed. Ticket sales are a good indicator of a films poularity and its financial success. Empirical technical/artistic quality is more open to debate. :)
Yes! Ticket sales are the absolute indicator! It's all about the NUMBER of people who paid to see the movie (not the amount of money it made).
Dr.Jonesy said:
Good to see you're into games, keeps you young inside!:hat:
Maybe 'inside' but what really keeps a person YOUNG is going OUTSIDE!:whip:
Dr.Jonesy said:
I should play games more often,...
No, you shouldn't (unless your goal is to be a lethargic waste of flesh).:p

Dr.Jonesy

Stoo said:

Well, I have a few that I spent money on that I'd like to not have it been a waste of money so I feel I should finish them, if that makes sense.

It's not like I don't enjoy playing games, I just feel guilty if I do play them because I keep thinking "I could be reading/learning something or doing my notes..." and I feel like I'm wasting valuable time. I have a hard time letting myself have fun, it seems.

But yeah, I never wanted to be one of those couch potato gamers!
:p

Montana Smith

The success of KOTCS in breathing new life into the character ought by now to have earned Indy an open-world game.

I wasn't here until after KOTCS came out, so that film must have done something in bringing Indy back to the popular mass consciousness.

Stoo said:
Maybe 'inside' but what really keeps a person YOUNG is going OUTSIDE!:whip:

But OUTSIDE is full of nasty people. And the yellow eye in the sky... it burns usss.

Stoo said:

I run three miles every morning, preferably long before dawn, and rarely eat junk food. I can go for months without playing a game, but suddenly something will inspire me to go back.

The desire to explore and kill from the safety of one's home being another reason why an Indy open-world game would be perfect.

The key to playing games, or for that matter to surfing the internet, is not to sit down. If you get too comfortable and too engrossed you get fat!

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
The success of KOTCS in breathing new life into the character ought by now to have earned Indy an open-world game.

I don't think Indy fits the open world thing. People want to apply the open world game design to every character and for some games, it just doesn't work. Kind of like how every studio saw how big Chris Nolan's Batman films are and since they're dark, the studio is going to make all their superheroes dark too.

Like Batman's darkness and GTA's open world; it doesn't work with everything.

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:

I don't think Indy fits the open world thing. People want to apply the open world game design to every character and for some games, it just doesn't work. Kind of like how every studio saw how big Chris Nolan's Batman films are and since they're dark, the studio is going to make all their superheroes dark too.

Like Batman's darkness and GTA's open world; it doesn't work with everything.

There's a thread dedicated to this idea here.

Of course, these games only create an illusion of an open-world. You very quickly come up against barriers or inconsistencies. But the option to go anywhere on a map, to choose your modus operandi, your attitude to the world and its inhabitants, and the knock-on effects is something I thought would suit Indy's ambiguous character:

Smiffy said:
The more sandbox games I play, the less obstacles I see in the way of an Indy sandbox.

Multiple missions or objectives can be undertaken simultaneously with the main quest to locate an artifact. Indy has been a spy, and he has combat experience, so there aren't any barriers to his obtaining information by sneaking into secure locations, or going head-to-head with an opposing force.

Choosing the route of egotistical fortune and glory, or that of altruism would affect karma, and therefore the reactions he receives in the world from those of differing karma. Since Indy generally finds a balance, the game would become more difficult (or very different) if you attempted it with excessive and unprovoked violence, or conversely, without trying to kill anyone or breaking local laws.

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
ROTLA: A+
TOD: A
TLC: A-
KOTCS: Ungraded (Examining Board still unsure whether to take this entry seriously)

You accepted TOD. Should be enough credentials to accept KOTCS.

;)

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
ROTLA: A+
TOD: A
TLC: A-
KOTCS: Ungraded (Examining Board still unsure whether to take this entry seriously)

I as well think Kingdom needs to repeat kindergarten.

Dr.Jonesy

Listening to IndyCast28/29, it brought me right back to May/June of 2008. Alot of glowing reviews in those IndyCasts. I miss 2008 and the exciting time to be an Indy fan!
:hat:

People hate Skull because this movie is lousy against the real Indy-Movies. Crusade was made as the end. So a new movie MUST be better or as good as "last crusade". Skull failed. Nobody can deny the fact that Skull is considered as lousy against the real Indy-Movies and that Skull is considered as one of the weakest sequels in Movie-History.

The ranking of the Rottentomatoes-community

Raiders: 93

Temple: 80

Crusade: 94
-----------------------------------------
Skull: 54 % (embarrassing)

The Imdb-Ranking

Raiders: 8,7

Temple: 7,6

Crusade: 8,3

Skull: 6,3

And don't forget:

The great South Park-Episode

The Razzie!!! YEAH!!!

Not even an Oscar-Nomination LOL

Shia confirmed the hate:

Shia LaBeouf: We botched the last Indiana Jones

"You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven [Spielberg, who directed]. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple."

LaBeouf said that he could have kept quiet, especially given the movie's blockbuster status, but didn't think the film had fooled anyone. "I think the audience is pretty intelligent. I think they know when you've made ... . And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie." LaBeouf went on to say he wasn't the only star on the film who felt that way. "We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

Steven confirmed the hate:

Bless you, Mr. Spielberg. He even has to the good sense to admit that his newer entry was a misstep. During the same Q & A, when asked about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a single audience member cheered, prompting this response:

?One person wants to see another Indiana Jones movie! The only person in the audience! [?] You know, I think that was the only bridge we didn?t burn because of Indy 4, thank you.?

Thank you for all these great polls. There are sooooo many. I can't post them all...

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=2548

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24779/indy-4-star-wars-ep1-are-bigges t-letdowns

Thank you imdb for this:

imdb about the year 2008

Indiana Jones returns to the screen in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which is widely proclaimed to be highly underwhelming; Shia LaBeouf, as the son of Harrison Ford and Karen Allen, shoulders some of the blame, along with producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg, who will be roundly mocked (to put it politely) in an episode of South Park.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

I am new but a long time Lurker and I wanted to say I really liked KOTCS it was not my favorite Indy film but I thought It was close to the level of TOD and right behind LC :D