Novel questions

Lord Excalibur

Offical Indiana Jones novels questions thread

Here you can ask questions about the novels. I hope there is some whom have read the most novels and can answer. I have some questions to start with:

1. In which books or comics is Excalibur in?
2. Where does Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone takes place?

:)

HovitosKing

Re:

As for the first question, Indiana Jones and the White Witch revolves around Excalibur. I forget the answer to number 2. These are questions that could be answered by reading the back of the books...

Doc Savage

Philosopher's Stone takes place predominately in Italy and the Libyan desert if memory serves me correctly.

Doc Savage

I've yet to read Seven Veils. I just finished The Dinosaur Eggs today, and I'll probably start Dance of the Giants soon.

Johan

Just a suggestion....get all of them first and read them in order! You simply can't read the Seven Viels before you read dance of the giants! And it wouldn't hurt to read Peril At Delphi before that...as hard as it is to find a new copy...

Is Philosopher's Stone the one that begins with Indy searching for a crystal skull or some such in the jungle and has an encounter with a giant snake?

Johan

actually its an anaconda...and there ends up being two of them as you go through the books

Doc Savage

IndyJohan said:
Just a suggestion....get all of them first and read them in order! You simply can't read the Seven Viels before you read dance of the giants! And it wouldn't hurt to read Peril At Delphi before that...as hard as it is to find a new copy...

Barnse and Noble seems to have them all. I've bought about seven through www.bn.com

blur

IndyJohan said:

Are they supposed to be that hard to find? Amazon has 'em all, I thought?

Johan

I tried getting a new copy of Peril at Delphi at several places including Amazon. They are out of print so I ended up getting a rough looking used on on Ebay.

blur

You are quite right. It seems the books I was looking for are still available, but that one isn't - even the reprint. Makes sense, actually as it's No.1 in the series and most likely the volume to sell the most and thus sell-out first.

Johan

IT was easy to get all the other ones like you said. Perhaps they want to make it a "rare collecters item". But I bet you when the new INdy movie comes out the novels will all be in the centre tables of book stores in print once again...I will then get a better copy hopefully. I mean I've read through them ALL more than 3 times.

Webley

One thing I hate about the books...

In the movie RotLA Indy studied under professor Ravenwood at the University of Chicago but according to the novels, he studied to be a linguist at the University of Chicago and didn't study archeology until he attended the Sorbonne in Paris.

Johan

mabye he had 2 or more profs???
And his father did want him in linguistics, this is how he knows so many languages.

Webley

IndyJohan said:
mabye he had 2 or more profs???
And his father did want him in linguistics, this is how he knows so many languages.
Good point IndyJohan. I never gave it much thought but I guess Indy could have had a close relationship with more than one professor.

Finn

Staff member
Didn't it say somewhere that it was Marcus who lured Indy into studying archaeology?

Johan

I think because Indy grew up knowing Marcus, he did have a good influence in getting him into archaeology. Then there was Dorian Belecamus, she had a strong presence and seemed to really lure Indy, it may have been a sexual attraction but in her schemes she really encouraged Indy in to being an archaeologist.
After Delphi I think Indy found himself having a nack for archaeology, and he just stuck with it, it became natural to continue in it.
Well...that's my personal analysis and opinion