If Indy's recast when Harrison Ford's finished with the role, why not cast Jon Hamm?

Solomon Black

I know this is heresy before I even begin and my intention is certainly not to insult or offend anyone. That said, Harrison Ford can't go on playing Indiana Jones forever and the character's too good a character for his onscreen adventures not to continue. As defining as Ford is, I think another actor could take over and continue the series when Ford's either too old or unwilling to keep doing it. I think Jon Hamm is that actor. If you look at the conceptual art by Jim Steranko for Raiders, the Indy depicted looks a lot like Hamm. They're not spitting images of each other, but close. Now I don't think based on that alone Hamm should get the part. What I'm saying is you need someone who embodies the spirit of the character, while at the same time playing it their own way. A similar comparison would be James Bond. Sean Connery and Roger Moore each played the same character, but the Sean Connery Bond is slightly different from the Roger Moore Bond. Same goes for Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig. Now I know Indy doesn't smoke, but the way Don Draper smokes his cigarettes in Mad Men is the same way Indy does in that picture by Steranko. I know I can picture Hamm wearing the fedora in the opening scene of Raiders, five o'clock shadow blackening his face.

Solomon Black

Yeah man, new to the forum. Not entirely sure what I'm doing. Just thought maybe it could use its own thread, thats all.

The Drifter

Solomon Black said:
Yeah man, new to the forum. Not entirely sure what I'm doing. Just thought maybe it could use its own thread, thats all.

I understand that. I was just trying to help out. I have been guilty of doing the same thing.

Kevin

I don't think Hamm would make a good Indy, simply because he doesn't wear a hat well. There is more to wearing a hat than simply putting it on your head; you have to be comfortable in it, otherwise it looks like the hat is wearing you. Jon Hamm is uncomfortable in a brimmed felt hat, and it shows in spades every time he wears one in Mad Men.

JCC1004

I personly don't see it happening. He doesn't resemble Harrison alot and Harrison's stunt double just died. I do not want to see Shia LaBeouf wearing Harrison's hat. I just realized Shia portays a older character. That's why he looked kiddish. This picture makes Harrison look like Hugh Laurie.
233.jpg

Lance Quazar

Jon Hamm could make a great character in the Indy universe, but not a great Indy.

He has the classic good-looks to play a character from that era. But I see him as a G-man or Army officer or some other kind of stoic official, ally or even villain.

Really, no one else should play Indy. I firmly believe that.

However, if it HAD to go to someone, the only (current) choice for the role is Nathan Fillion.