Indy & Marion Divorce?????

arkfinder

This may seem off in left field but, I sort of want Marion to be killed off. Like Indy's narrow escapes have finally caught up to him. The he passes the torch to Mutt.

kongisking

I hate the idea of Indy, after finally finding a family and true love like his good pal Stanforth, breaking it off. It not only is a cruel dis to the Marion character, it would make their marriage in the last film completely worthless and without meaning. The whole point of the wedding was that THIS is the climax of Indy's life: His whole life has been leading up to this moment. Like Indy says at one point in the novelization: "I found what I was looking for." so having the pair divorce just murders what is undoubtedly the happiest, sweetest and most emotionally powerful scene in the entire series: Indiana Jones getting a new reason to live.

The Drifter

kongisking said:
I hate the idea of Indy, after finally finding a family and true love like his good pal Stanforth, breaking it off. It not only is a cruel dis to the Marion character, it would make their marriage in the last film completely worthless and without meaning. The whole point of the wedding was that THIS is the climax of Indy's life: His whole life has been leading up to this moment. Like Indy says at one point in the novelization: "I found what I was looking for." so having the pair divorce just murders what is undoubtedly the happiest, sweetest and most emotionally powerful scene in the entire series: Indiana Jones getting a new reason to live.

I can see where you're coming from, but that all sounds like a cheesy plot to some Bantam-Book-style romance.
To grow as a character they need to have different facets in life. Emotional highs and lows. It's boring to see a character that lives happily-ever-after. It's also so cliche to have "Marion" be his sole reason to live.

Call me an anti-romantic, I guess. But, I would find it so much more interesting if we seen Indy and Marion divorce in the next film. Just like in the scene that I described. I want to see Indy at his lowest during that moment. We've never seen Indy at the bottom of the barrel. Let's see him almost give up on life, but some new adventure re-awakens his old spirit again. He then realizes that he does not need another person to make his life complete. He completes it himself.

Damn, am I reading too far into this stuff?

mister64

I don't think it would make sense for them to divorce because at the beginning of KOTCS Indy is alone, at a bottom point in his life. He has to leave the university, Marcus and Henry Sr are dead. But at the end of the movie, he's reconnected with an old friend (Oxley), he's gained a son and a wife, putting him at a high point in his life.

Jack Nelligan

mister64 said:
I don't think it would make sense for them to divorce because at the beginning of KOTCS Indy is alone, at a bottom point in his life. He has to leave the university, Marcus and Henry Sr are dead. But at the end of the movie, he's reconnected with an old friend (Oxley), he's gained a son and a wife, putting him at a high point in his life.

But how long can this happiness last for a guy like Indy? A glob trotting adventurer who is constantly putting his life and other in danger. Would any woman worth her salt, and we all agree that Marion is, sit back and let their man do these things over and over again, especially when she has seen first hand what kind of trouble he can get into? I know she could go with him, but I doubt she has any adventuring left in her, and I doubt she would want her son, Mutt, to go along either. This could leave Indy on his own again and free, for lack of a better term, to come and go as he pleases. I don?t think Indy would change for any woman, not even Marion.

Robyn

kongisking said:

Absolutely agree with you, I think some of you fellas in here need to develop a romantic side ;) Indy and Marion's whole relationship is very romantic.

And it would be so incredibly stupid to have them divorce, Marion's been waiting since she was 16 years old to catch Indy and Indy's marriage to her was suppose to be the best thing that's ever happened to him. I mean what is it you guys want? You want Indy to be alone and wifeless until he's 100?:confused:

Not EVERONE wants Indy to be alone and unhappy(myself of course being one of them!) So like I said before, there's got to be a way to at least halfway please all the fans, well most of them anyways..

Last edited:

Jack Nelligan

Robyn said:
Absolutely agree with you, I think some of you fellas in here need to develop a romantic side ;)

And it would be so incredibly stupid to have them divorce, Marion's been waiting since she was 16 years old to catch Indy and Indy's marriage to her was suppose to be the best thing that's ever happened to him. I mean what is it you guys want? You want Indy to be alone and wifeless until he's 100?:confused:

Not EVERONE wants Indy to be alone and unhappy(myself of course being one of them!) So like I said before, there's got to be a way to at least halfway please all the fans, well most of them anyways..

I don’t think Marion was “waiting for Indy”! She did marry another man and she does not strike me as the kind of woman who would pine away for a lost love. I think they both have very strong personalities, and I doubt those personalities would work together in a relationship???

Robyn

Jack Nelligan said:
I don?t think Marion was ?waiting for Indy?! She did marry another man and she does not strike me as the kind of woman who would pine away for a lost love. I think they both have very strong personalities, and I doubt those personalities would work together in a relationship???

Well Karen Allen describes it very well on her popcorn taxi interview -->http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1844398/Karen Allen Popcorn Taxi interview, Audio.mp3

She may have settled for second best and married someone else but she's definitely always wanted Indy.

They fight and bicker all the time because there's love behind it, as Kasdan so nicely put it ;)

They are what perfect couples are made of.:cool:

I know everyone doesn't agree with me on how romantic Indy and Marion's relationship is, but there's gotta be a way to please fans like me in Indy 5 too without ruining the movie for the "anti-romantics" . Don't get me wrong though I love the adventure and action just as much as the Indy and Marion relationship! Which is why Raiders turned out so perfect, because it had just the right amount of action/adventure/romance!

Here's some pics to help plead my case:cool:

Image77.jpg

magnew2.jpg

another.jpg

weddingsmiles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kongisking

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I want to see Indy at his lowest during that moment. We've never seen Indy at the bottom of the barrel. Let's see him almost give up on life, but some new adventure re-awakens his old spirit again.

Isn't that sorta what happened in KOTCS? He was ready to finally retire and give up as he was stepping onto the train, with his teaching career in ruins, no family left, and his relevance in the modern world practically nonexistent. And then good ol' Henry Jones the Third drove up and shouted, "Hey! Old man!"...

Jack Nelligan

kongisking said:
Isn't that sorta what happened in KOTCS? He was ready to finally retire and give up as he was stepping onto the train, with his teaching career in ruins, no family left, and his relevance in the modern world practically nonexistent. And then good ol' Henry Jones the Third drove up and shouted, "Hey! Old man!"...

Good point. Isn't Indy the Eternal phoenix???!!! Isn't that what we love about him????

AnnieJones

Jack Nelligan said:
Do you thinks Indy and Marion's marriage will last???
I sure hope so.(y) I want it to last anyway.(y)
They get together for the 4th movie just to split up,that would be stupid.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AnnieJones said:
I sure hope so.(y) I want it to last anyway.(y)
They get together for the 4th movie just to split up,that would be stupid.

Well, give it a few years. Say it gets to '63, Kennedy is shot, at which point amidst the turmoil Marion realizes she doesn't love Indy anymore and can't deal with his double life, and divorces him, flying off to Reno. At this point, Indy, Stanforth, and Oxley probably split off from Marshall College and start their own institute devoted entirely to archaeology.

Crack that whip

Attila the Professor said:
Lonsome_Drifter said:
No, I would like to see a small part in the next one that would go something like this:
Indy is at his desk in the dean's office. He's looking at a picture of Marion (he honestly did love her) and then he picks up a slip of paper and we see that it's a divorce notice.
With a deep sigh Indy puts down the picture and picks up and pen, and signs it.

After that it could cut to another scene. That's all I would like to see. No need to make it a huge ordeal. Just show how lonely Indy seems in that scene and how old and weary he looks.
Then after that, he rebounds back while on his new adventure.
I like that. Classy.

I don't. What would the point of it be? It sounds like just a way of quickly writing her off to explain why Karen Allen's not in the movie.

The Drifter

Crack that whip said:
I don't. What would the point of it be? It sounds like just a way of quickly writing her off to explain why Karen Allen's not in the movie.

Maybe not everyone wants her in the movie? I know that I don't.
And, if she's not in the movie; I would rather have a short scene explaining why, than a long, drawn-out angle.

Stoo

Jack Nelligan said:
Would it be too traumatic for Indy fans for Marion to be killed off in Indy V?
Not for me. I've mentioned the idea a few times before (at the risk of a frying-pan-smack from Robyn and Violet, "Marion Fan Extraordinaire";)). Either killed or seriously injured by the villain/s and only because it would create some REAL drama if Indy's new family suffered in some way. A divorce is much too tame. In '89, seeing Henry Sr. get shot was a shocker!:gun:

I'm not very big on "wish threads" but if there are 2 things I'd like to see in Indy V, they would be: snow & blood.