What kind of marker do you think Dr. Jones is?

What kind of marker do you think Dr. Jones is?

• Easy

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Firm but fair

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Hard

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

oki9Sedo

What do you think?

Easy, as in if a student say something incorrect but its clear that they're almost there, he would be happy with that and give them the marks.

Firm but fair, thats self-explanatory.

Hard, as in you have to be 100% accurate with a statement to get the marks.

He seems friendly with students, so I think he would be easy. Well, not easy as such, but he would be trying to give as many marks away as possible.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
First thing I thought this thread might be about is what sort of marker Indy would have if he had one along the lines of the other two knights.

I think he might be easy, but I also feel that there would be a selection of topics that if students get wrong or make broad claims they are unqualified to make that could set him off. Even then though, the hope is that his wry sense of humor would overcome any unfair impulses.

Of course, one thing we can be fairly certain of, even if it had not been explicitly said during Last Crusade, is that he gets papers back very, very late.

tupogirl

Firm, but fair, if he can keep his mind focused on it! He said something about how difficult of a teacher his dad was in LC.

Of course, I read the word 'marker' and thought the questions were going to be about if he was a thin line one, thick, permanent, fruit smelling, erasable, etc.

No Ticket

I'm pretty sure he would be easy. His personality just screams it. The students seem to like him... apples anyone? Plus LC reveals that he is so busy with his adventures that he neglects his duties as a teacher sometimes. Not to mention he mentions his father being a really strict teacher as though he doesn't agree with it.

Yeah, I think he'd be pretty easy-going on the grades.

AnythingGoes

Firm but fair, like any decent teacher! Or he might just score easy so he can entice some lovely young ladies to sit in the front row and flirt with him via their eyelids!:p
:whip:

JediJones

I thought the question was going to be about comparing him to a magic marker, hi-liter, etc. Heh. In America, we would use the term "grader."

I think he'd be a tough grader. He's a no-nonsense guy and really respects archaeology as a discipline with real-world experience. I think it would bother him if the students weren't learning about it correctly.

Finn

Staff member
Okay, let's see...

Firstly, The films clearly imply Indy is most comfortable while out at field. The job at the faculty is simply something that pays the bills. The way he flees through the window in LC is a dead giveaway he's not so hot on doing all the paperwork that comes with the job. Likely pores over it in a very cursory manner... once he bothers to get on it.

Secondly, he's obviously very popular among students. Looks? Maybe, but I'm not so sure your typical coed type would swoon over a known hardhide.

And finally... Henry Sr is an obvious strictler. And we see Indy hating it all the way.

...you do the math.

oki9Sedo said:
What do you think? ...if a student say something incorrect but its clear that they're almost there, he would be happy with that and give them the marks.

I'd be surprised with all the talent in his class he didn't have more "Susans" grading papers for him.

I'd say he uses keyword search, that is he didn't bother with context as much as he looks for and circles certain keywords basing the grade on the numberof references.

Not that he ignores context, but for the sake of expediency he'll forgo it.

Stoo

Finn said:
The way he flees through the window in LC is a dead giveaway he's not so hot on doing all the paperwork that comes with the job. Likely pores over it in a very cursory manner... once he bothers to get on it.
That's the way I see it, too. For what it's worth, the hectic, paper-grading scene in the "Monkey Script" script also shows that he is way behind in marking essays and grades them in a hurried fluster. Indy accidentally signs a B+ on the postmans's delivery notice. He isn't above giving failing marks either, as was written in this funny bit:

===
Indiana continues making APOLOGIES and EXCUSES. The obnoxious student again SHOUTS at him.

VIRGIL: VIRGIL VEKTOR! Capital V... I... R...

INDIANA (hands him paper): "F"!

Virgil STARES at his paper, adorned with a large RED "F"! Indiana EXITS the room.
Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd be surprised with all the talent in his class he didn't have more "Susans" grading papers for him.
Well, there was Betsy from the "Monkey King" script:

===
BETSY: Want me to come by later? Help you grade?

INDIANA: Help me grade. Yeah. Sure.

Archaeos

First I thought this thread wanted to discuss what marker pen Indy is using in the film? :confused:

I think like all dedicated and passionate academics, Indy will think of teaching and marking as a nuisance that comes with the job and is best dealt with swiftly, and usually evaded or delegated. I mean, honestly, students are really annoying creatures.

I therefore think he is "easy" in dealing with this aspect, not delving too long in it. He will glance over the papers and mark them on short impressions, glances of stupidity or intelligence in the submitted scribble, if you want.

At the same time, I cannot see him handing out good marks, or leaning to the better marks in the spectrum. Indy is too... "edgy" - I am missing the right English word here... havn't spoken English that much over the past month, so apologies... not "malovelent" but not "kind-spirited" either... he strikes me as rather spiteful to the student presence because it's such a annoying real world confrontation vis-a-vis his "fieldwork", that he will rather tend to mark harsher than kindly...

I think the Indy characterisation in the Dark Horse comics where he is quite jaded about the inner workings of academia is the best indication, e.g. in "INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS VOLUME 1 - Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold" at the Annual Fall Faculty Fling with Department Chairman Dr. Snedly and Visiting Professor Francisca Uribe Del Arco, where is not only not holding back, but rather seems to talk in rather academically inacceptable ways in such a natural way, that it's just normal for him. The films show him with a little bit more constraint.

Oh, and I think Indy would use this marker:
26716.jpg

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Oh, and I think Indy would use this marker:
If Indy was still in the classroom during the mid-'70s, he probably would have used a Bic Banana Ink Crayon...like this teacher did:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3q98WrVhaTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What ever happened to Charles Nelson Reilly?

Archaeos

I think the prop department for Indy V is already taking notes... Indy works part-time for the CIA, and deals with the Nixon fall-out. He starts correcting the Nixon tapes transcripts, tasked to mark what needs to be deleted... with his Bic Banana Ink Crayon.

Did you have one back in the 1970s, Stoo?

To my shame, I only know Charles Nelson Reilly as Don Don Canneloni from "Cannonball Run II" (which I saw in cinema when released new... an alternative screening that I had to go to because I wasn't allowed into "The Empire strikes back" because that was thought to be too violent... :( :rolleyes: :) )

Following the rest, maybe whatever shade of lipstick he finds between the cushions...

Stoo said:
What ever happened to Charles Nelson Reilly?
He lives on in reruns of The Match Game on GSN at 8:30am weekdays.

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Did you have one back in the 1970s, Stoo?
Yes, I did. More than one. I had the whole pack...as did everyone else. They were very popular and the kids who didn't have a Bic Banana, had nobody to play "tag" with outside on the playground. Some of them even had stones, dirt, mud, marbles & dogsh*t thrown at them simply because they didn't have one. Non-owners of this fashionable marker were complete & total LOSERS!:p:p:p

'Twas a catchy tune on the commercial but the ink didn't last very long.:( Therefore:

If Professor Jones was enthusiastic about correcting his students' papers, he would need a BIG box of the red ones (but wouldn't need to dress up like a fruit).

---
"Cannonball Run II"!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D Oh...my...G_d...
Rocket Surgeon said:
He lives on in reruns of The Match Game on GSN at 8:30am weekdays.
Just checked and he died 25 May 2007. That's a few days away from being EXACTLY one year before the premiere of "Crystal Skull"! Doesn't this stuff just freak you out?!?:eek: :p

Last edited: