TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 32 56.14%
Todd's Costumes 11 19.30%
Steele and Jones 3 5.26%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #201
Glenville86
IndyFan

Checking with Wested and S&J on the ToD jacket. More choices on leather and much faster delivery with Wested but my 2 S&J jackets are really nice. A Raiders in ribby and an LC/CS jacket.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #202
Major West
IndyFan

A dilemma.

What leather would you pick for the Wested ToD?

If you want complete screen accuracy for the ToD from Wested, you have to supply your own 2-claw buckle as Wested don't stock them any more. Otherwise it's standard buckles or D rings.

Last edited by Major West : 05-15-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #203
Glenville86
IndyFan

The dark lamb or regular lamb would be the best choice but I like the Wested horsehide. Have a couple of their jackets in that leather and like them. I have most of their leather carried in the Indy jackets.

S&J has a very thin dark cowhide that would work.

Not real big on SA.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #204
Major West
IndyFan

Yes, me neither, in that particular case. Have you got an Indy jacket in the Wested Pre-Distressed Heavy duty lamb? I'm curious to see an Indy jacket in that skin. In pictures of the leather it looks like it would be too light a colour, but I'm still curious.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #205
Glenville86
IndyFan

Do not have one in that leather. I have:

Black Cow (only because of my black boots)
Authentic Brown Lamb
Dark Brown Lamb
Pre-Distressed Hide
Goat
Horsehide
Dark Brown Novapelle
Dark Brown Lambtouch - Heavier than I thought it would be.
Italian ‘Rosetta’ Hide
Old Jacket in new condition off Ebay - not sure the leather

Used to have:
Brown Cow
Shrunken Lambskin

US Wings:
Vintage Texas Steerhide Legend
Dark Brown Texas Steerhide Legend
Kangaroo Indy-style Legend
Striated Lambskin “Legend” Jacket
Old model off EBay in new condition Reddish Brown

G&B
Goat
Lamb

BK
SL

S&J
Ribby Lamb
Cowhide

Last edited by Glenville86 : 05-15-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #206
Major West
IndyFan

Interesting to hear the lambtouch is heavier than you thought. I was wondering if that would be a good Last Crusade skin.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #207
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
It's just the way the jacket pattern is. The ToD jacket is an exact pattern copy of a ToD film jacket that was loaned to Wested by the estate of Noel Howard. Since the ToD was allegedly based on a Jacket from the first film I presume the overall fitting of that jacket (for Harrison Ford) stayed the same. The slouching shoulder is a feature of the Hero Raiders jacket, I understand.
Ah yes I see, that makes sense. So it's essentially closer to the Hero. I rather assumed Wested's TOD was basically their standard Raiders jacket with a more tailored fit and small pockets...
I had been considering a TOD for a while, but then opted for my custom Raider.
I do like the idea of snug yet slouchy though...
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #208
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Interesting to hear the lambtouch is heavier than you thought. I was wondering if that would be a good Last Crusade skin.

Interesting story on that one as I had a jacket on order and they did not have enough for my size. They asked if I had any other leather choices and I said the dark brown lambtouch or the heavy distressed lamb. They told me the lambtouch they had in stock was very light in color. When I received the shipping notice, I e-mailed and asked what hide they ended up using and was told they found some very dark brown hide as that was my first choice. I think they might have found some very dark cow hide for the jacket. It feels about the same weight as my black cowhide........ I used to have one in their brown cowhide and it was much lighter than this one. I gave it to charity because of a mistake they made on it.

Funny thing is I really like the jacket they sent.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #209
Major West
IndyFan

Ah I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Ah yes I see, that makes sense. So it's essentially closer to the Hero. I rather assumed Wested's TOD was basically their standard Raiders jacket with a more tailored fit and small pockets...
I had been considering a TOD for a while, but then opted for my custom Raider.
I do like the idea of snug yet slouchy though...

Yes it's a weird fit. When zipped all the way to the top it pulls the shoulder seams up to where they should be. Unzipped it just hangs off. There's not bags of room for layering, but I've worn a thin jumper on top of a t-shirt underneath.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #210
Drones33
IndyFan

Custom Raiders after a good soaking and a couple of weeks wear

Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #211
Major West
IndyFan

Yep. It's looking good. Nice creative photo as well.

Realised I hadn't really worn my pre-distressed jacket very much, compared to the others and it was still quite stiff. So I put it in the tumble dryer for two 20 minute sessions and that's softened it up quite a bit. Certainly the arms are more comfortable. At the same time I was thinking I wished I'd ordered it as a custom, instead of off the rack. I would have said leave the facings off, as the front is so damned stiff with the cowhide.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...psmnkqy70j.jpg
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #212
Drones33
IndyFan

Thanks
Agreed regarding the pre distressed cow. Lovely jackets but way too stiff for me. I ended up selling my cowhide LC for that very reason. That's how come I went for the custom LC in novapelle as a replacement. All the weight of the cowhide but far softer and much more comfortable, in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:00 AM   #213
Mickiana
IndyFan

Love the chair, table and globe. They are like props very suited to the gear.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #214
Drones33
IndyFan

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #215
Major West
IndyFan

I really like the look of the jacket from flying wing to the end of the truck chase scene. I was watching parts of it yesterday. At this point in the film, a lot of the look is down to the dirt and wear. And it really looks beaten up. I think my Raiders jacket is going to need a lot more punishment.

photo 9614700b-3dfa-4f96-a17e-8f9a318dd99b_zpsf7ylsj3q.jpg
Old 05-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #216
Drones33
IndyFan

Looks tremendous in these scenes. I think it would take a lot of work to achieve this look. Be great if it can be done though. There's a guy here at the Raven, Indytim I think...who made his look kind of like this by using acetone. Big job though by the sounds of things, ( 11 bottles of acetone apparently.)
Ever used Fullers Earth? I'd like to give it a try. Can't help thinking it would come off the leather and end up all over the furniture however.
Nice screenshots by the way. The first one really shows off the silver zip nicely.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #217
Mickiana
IndyFan

Fedoraiders has what looks to me like the best method of distressing an Indiana Jones jacket. Just look up 'Indiana Jones Distress Wested Jacket' on YouTube. I haven't tried it myself but I will get around to it someday.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #218
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Fedoraiders has what looks to me like the best method of distressing an Indiana Jones jacket. Just look up 'Indiana Jones Distress Wested Jacket' on YouTube. I haven't tried it myself but I will get around to it someday.

Do you have a link?
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 AM   #219
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Looks tremendous in these scenes. I think it would take a lot of work to achieve this look. Be great if it can be done though. There's a guy here at the Raven, Indytim I think...who made his look kind of like this by using acetone. Big job though by the sounds of things, ( 11 bottles of acetone apparently.)
Ever used Fullers Earth? I'd like to give it a try. Can't help thinking it would come off the leather and end up all over the furniture however.
Nice screenshots by the way. The first one really shows off the silver zip nicely.

Yes it's a great look, as you say a little impractical and maybe with costume only wearing as it might come off on furniture.

I read about Acetone, and was considering doing some mild distressing, but proceeding with caution as get it wrong and you've ruined the jacket. I did some very very mild ageing on my Last Crusade jacket with fine sandpaper the other night just around the edges of the collar and pockets (being careful to avoid the stitching). It barely shows but it's a start.

I saw the video Mickiana mentions and that certainly looks like one way to get a quick and instant dragged behind the truck look. Although other advice seems to be take distressing slowly so are you in control of what happens. Which means doing it by hand basically.

I found the thread from here. Indytims jacket. That looks very good and the sort of look I'd want. Now I found the link I'll have a read of it

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=15304
Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #220
Drones33
IndyFan

Weathered Wested LC

Recently did some light weathering on my Wested Last Crusade. Rather than sandpaper I gently used a pan scourer to bring out some of the dusty texture and coppery undertones of the novapelle.

I`m pleased with the way it turned out, this hide lends itself well to ageing I think and aquires a beat-up look fairly quickly. I`m toying with the idea of getting a TOD from Wested in brown novapelle. Could work quite well.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #221
Glenville86
IndyFan

That distressing came out very nice.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #222
Glenville86
IndyFan

Old 06-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #223
Glenville86
IndyFan

I just put the jacket on for the pics without any adjustments. The pockets are larger than the one they sell but slightly smaller than the Raiders jacket pockets. It actually looks longer in the back than what it is. It sits about 2.5 - 3 inches below my belt in the back. I like them a little longer anyway.

It is horsehide with all cotton lining.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #224
Drones33
IndyFan

That's gorgeous. Lovely deep chocolatey brown. First class.
Great hat too by the way
Old 06-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #225
Glenville86
IndyFan

That one is the factory Henry. The Wested horsehide does not come with that stiffness you would get from other horsehide jackets. It actually has some drape out of the box.