"Knife to a gun fight"

Joe Brody

Is that a fresh line or has it been used in any other films?

I'm having no luck with a quick google search -- but it seems awfully familiar (I know the phrase -- it just seems like I recall it being used in other films).

Last edited:

Michael24

It's an expression that's been around for a long time, so it's been in a variety of movies and TV shows.

Snakes

It reminded me of a similar line in The Untouchables, which just so happened to have Sean Connery in the cast.

otto rahn

Snakes said:
It reminded me of a similar line in The Untouchables, which just so happened to have Sean Connery in the cast.
That's where I remembered it from as well. In fact I thought that it's use in "KOTCS" was a deliberate homage to Connery's line from "The Untouchables".

IAdventurer01

It's an old expression that actually really hasn't been used for a while since it became quite cliche'. Probably fit right in for the era of the movie, though.

Joe Brody

I'm just looking for a tally of how many times it has been used in other action adventure movies.

It's one of KotCS's better lines -- which is tragic when you think of how many witty lines were in Last Crusade.

Raiders90

"Knife to a gun fight"

When Indy tells Mutt he shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight, does it make anyone harken back to when he shot the Arab Swordsman, who 'brought a knife to a gun fight'?

Darth Vile

Raiders112390 said:
When Indy tells Mutt he shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight, does it make anyone harken back to when he shot the Arab Swordsman, who 'brought a knife to a gun fight'?

I see what you mean... but I always think of 'The Untouchables' when Ford says those words. :)

oki9Sedo

Same, whether its a reference or not, which is unlikely given how random it would be if it was, I thought of The Untouchables.

indyclone25

Raiders112390 said:
well in the arab swordsmans defense , he thought he brought a knife to a whip fight.:D

Peru1936

I do think the decision to include the line was a conscience tip of the hat to Connery and his line, which in its entirety was:

"Isn't it just like a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight."

He gets smoked in the same scene.